BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Install android auto/carplay how to

Several threads have discussed updating I drive so as to install Apple carplay in earlier models. Depending on what year six series you have this may be an option. For me, it was not available plus I have an android device not an Apple device anyway.

I sourced be used Bimmer Tech CarPlay MMI Prime Retrofit for BMW
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...fit-carplaymmi

You can also import these from China through Aliexpress for about $250.

Installation is very easy as follows:

1. Using a very thin pride tool, slowly unclip the center front vents. Disconnect the three cables running to the events and set aside.

Name:  mmi 2.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  591.6 KB

2. Pry off the very bottom plastic panel.

2. Using a 20 mm torx screwdriver unscrew the four screws holding down the HVAC controls. Disconnect the two wires going to the HVAC controls.

Name:  mmi one.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  533.2 KB

3. Using the same screwdriver, unscrew the four screws holding the head unit. Place a towel over the center console and slide out the head unit.

4. Using the same screwdriver remove the two screws holding the screen in place at the bottom left and right. Slowly lift up and remove the screen from the holder. Disconnect the video cable from the back of the screen and wrap that cable through the back and to the right.

5. From the kit connect the new video cable into the back of the screen and route down to the right.

6. Connect the two video cables to the MMI.

7. In the passenger footwell, pull back the plastic cover above the passenger storage net and feed the USB cable from inside the now open center console to pull the USB port out for access. Connect the power side of the USB cable to the back of the MMI device.

8. Remove the large black connector from the head unit. Look for two green wires inside that connector. They are clipped together. Remove them in place that connector into the kits radio connector in the same location. Plug that connector into the back of the radio. Plug the old connector into the other end of the main kit cable. Plug the power from the main cable into the back of the MMI.

Name:  mmi 3.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  568.0 KB

9. Connect to the Wi-Fi antenna to the back of the MMI and place the plastic antenna in the back without touching any metal.

10. Jam the MMI as far back in the whole as possible and push the wire connectors down below the space to be occupied by the head unit.

11. Slide the head unit back in the place and use reverse procedure to reconnect everything.

12. Turn on the car and hold the menu button down for three seconds. Connect your android device running android auto to the USB cable and if everything was successful and you have a quality cable the car should recognize the device and give you android auto.

13. Once that is done and you have the right newer model android phone you can then connect wirelessly.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1