BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

MPPK Tune on used X5

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and recently (within the last couple weeks) purchased a used 2015 X5 M Sport. Car has a clean title with only 39k miles on it. I purchased an MPE for it and am waiting for it to be installed next week. I am considering getting the MPPK for it as well. My question is - being that the car is now 5 years old with 39k miles on it, is getting it tuned a bad idea? More concerned about engine reliability and if this is something that people usually still do.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
jbfq2014@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I got mppk at 60k, it changes a lot, the sound and throttle response. You can really feel at least 20hp more
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
BMWofVS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
i purchased my 2017 X5 used with 20k miles and installed the mppk software tune.

IMO if you're still under warranty it's a no brainer if you're seeking reduce throttle lag, more low end torque power, and smoother shift point.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfq2014@gmail.com View Post
I got mppk at 60k, it changes a lot, the sound and throttle response. You can really feel at least 20hp more
Thanks for sharing, this is helpful. And I am assuming nothing negative has come out of it given you got it at 60k?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfq2014@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWofVS View Post
i purchased my 2017 X5 used with 20k miles and installed the mppk software tune.

IMO if you're still under warranty it's a no brainer if you're seeking reduce throttle lag, more low end torque power, and smoother shift point.
Thanks for sharing. I am not under warranty so that is why I am still a little hesitant. It doesn't sound like it causes very many reliability issues but I'd be curious on if you've heard differently. My car also has been driven very few miles given its an 05 with only 39k.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
jbfq2014@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthpatel1 View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is helpful. And I am assuming nothing negative has come out of it given you got it at 60k?
Not only I have the mppk but also racechip gts black, no issues at all, i got the x5 at 47k
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Don't be a ghel chodia and get a BM3 tune
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and recently (within the last couple weeks) purchased a used 2015 X5 M Sport. Car has a clean title with only 39k miles on it. I purchased an MPE for it and am waiting for it to be installed next week. I am considering getting the MPPK for it as well. My question is - being that the car is now 5 years old with 39k miles on it, is getting it tuned a bad idea? More concerned about engine reliability and if this is something that people usually still do.

I have wondered about this myself. I do not have the MPPK although I may get it (I have a lil over 40k on the odometer). My take are two things:
1. MPPK will likely cost you over $1k - given your mileage and how long you feasibly will keep the car, how does that cost stack up cost/benefit-wise? If you had gotten MPPK on a new X5, you would theoretically have longer to enjoy it in other words.

2. Given this is a tune from BMW and doesn't boost power output an enormous amount, I'd estimate that the added stress on the engine would be negligible. It will however likely affect how you drive, which means you will likely push the engine harder in the long run.

At the end of the day you primarily need to balance whether the enjoyment you will get from the added performance is worth the cost over the time you own the vehicle. I would guess that the hit to reliability is negligible.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #9
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Hi everyone,

x35i (N55) or x50i (N63*)?

The majority of BMW engines are tuned with a fair amount of headroom in terms of performance. The MPPK is a relatively conservative tune all in all. As for installing it later in your X5 @ 40k... I'd do new oil, plugs, coils and air filters and be happy and enjoy the tune.

Last edited by scotty339; 11-03-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
I have wondered about this myself. I do not have the MPPK although I may get it (I have a lil over 40k on the odometer). My take are two things:
1. MPPK will likely cost you over $1k - given your mileage and how long you feasibly will keep the car, how does that cost stack up cost/benefit-wise? If you had gotten MPPK on a new X5, you would theoretically have longer to enjoy it in other words.

2. Given this is a tune from BMW and doesn't boost power output an enormous amount, I'd estimate that the added stress on the engine would be negligible. It will however likely affect how you drive, which means you will likely push the engine harder in the long run.

At the end of the day you primarily need to balance whether the enjoyment you will get from the added performance is worth the cost over the time you own the vehicle. I would guess that the hit to reliability is negligible.
This is a really good insight. Given that it won't add a tremendous amount of horsepower, I guess I am really more looking for the sound. I think I will wait to see how the MPE sounds without it (hopefully great), and then re-assess from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #11
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
x35i (N55) or x50i (N63*)?

The majority of BMW engines are tuned with a fair amount of headroom in terms of performance. The MPPK is a relatively conservative tune all in all. As for installing it later in your X5 @ 40k... I'd do new oil, plugs, coils and air filters and be happy and enjoy the tune.
35i! That is probably a good call if I decide to move forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post

This is a really good insight. Given that it won't add a tremendous amount of horsepower, I guess I am really more looking for the sound. I think I will wait to see how the MPE sounds without it (hopefully great), and then re-assess from there.
Yea, from what I've read, it does add some gravitas sound-wise, but despite the modest performance numbers, there is a noticeable difference in performance. This is probably in large part due to the more aggressive transmission tuning I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
Reign2016
Private
Rep
Drives: space gray xDrive35i MSport

yes, get it.
do it, do it
Appreciate 0