BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Eurogreek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5

Software update

I currently have my x5 35i at the dealer for the mppk tune. Dealer asked if I wanted to update my current software for $185. Does anyone know what the updated software consist of? It’s a 2018 with the initial update it came with. Not sure what gets updated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogreek View Post
I currently have my x5 35i at the dealer for the mppk tune. Dealer asked if I wanted to update my current software for $185. Does anyone know what the updated software consist of? It’s a 2018 with the initial update it came with. Not sure what gets updated.

Thanks
If you're not experiencing any problems and have contemplated an ECU flash tune (i.e. BM3), I'd decline the update. It'll lock your DME and you won't have the option of running an ECU flash tune without removing the ECU and sending it in to have it bench-unlocked. If you're sure you'll never want to use a flash tune, then...maybe. I guess if I weren't experiencing any problems that I knew the update would fix, I'd keep my $185.
      11-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

I’m taking mine for some small warrantee items. Can I tell them not to update the software?

I’m not sure that they will even listen to that request, or the technician will even know you stated that.

Seriously considering not worried about some small stuff so I’m sure mine doesn’t get locked.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myltz400 View Post
I’m taking mine for some small warrantee items. Can I tell them not to update the software?

I’m not sure that they will even listen to that request, or the technician will even know you stated that.

Seriously considering not worried about some small stuff so I’m sure mine doesn’t get locked.
Definitely be careful. Make sure you don't get a phone call 2 hours after you drop off the car, where the service advisor says "Hi, just calling with a progress report. We've updated the car's software." The challenge is that we don't know what the protocol is for when they update, and when they don't...and it probably varies by dealer, by technician, by...who knows. Way more uncertainty than I'm comfortable with.
      11-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
Eurogreek
Private
Rep

Let me ask this! Once the mppk tune is installed, would a software update remove the tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me ask this! Once the mppk tune is installed, would a software update remove the tune?
That's a good question. I would assume that since that's an official BMW-supplied "tune" that either their flash process would leave it in place, or that it would be re-applied after they flashed the car. That's my best guess...but it's still a guess. Better to ask and know for sure.
      11-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Eurogreek
Private
Rep

So I picked up the X tonight. I really can’t feel no difference after installing the mppk. Am I missing something? They did install the latest software update which reset all my coding. I guess it was part of the tuning upgrade to have the latest software version.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
So I picked up the X tonight. I really can’t feel no difference after installing the mppk. Am I missing something? They did install the latest software update which reset all my coding. I guess it was part of the tuning upgrade to have the latest software version.
U should feel the difference. I installed mine on a diesel (euro option) and the difference in torque and acceleration is obvious. Its like in sport mode (kind of) but less "jerky". I think you could see the difference in sport displays on the idrive if the numbers increased there (not sure what they were on a petrol, but someone on the forum would know).
Appreciate 0