BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
x5roadtrip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50i

Digital Oil Level after Oil Change

TLDR: Idrive Oil Level still showing 50% low after oil change. Dealer says that's how it's supposed to be.

-----
I purchased a new to me 2014 X5 50i. I noticed the oil level is half way between MIN and MAX, so before a trip up to the mountains I added a Liter of the BMW LL oil and it still stayed at the same level after multiple readings. I became concerned that the sensor wasn't working at had possibly overfilled, so I didn't want to add anymore. Took it to the dealer and explained the situation and asked for an oil change, and to verify the oil level sensor was at MAX afterwards.

Got the car back, the SA told me it's all topped off and everything is good to go. I double checked "the level is at MAX?", she confirmed. I'm happy until I get home and check the level again in my garage, still half way! I send a picture of the level to my SA (attached). She says she'll check with the tech first thing Monday (it was Friday afternoon).

Over the weekend I get a OBD and Bimmerlink app. I watch the oil level fluctuate from about 80-60 on the app as a I drive around, do one reading when it's at 68, Idrive still shows up half way between. Did another reading on a slight downward hill where bimmerlink showed 77, still got halfway on Idrive.

SA sends me a TXT this morning, "So According to my techinician where it is right now is considered perfect. He used 10.5 quarts of oil, if it's too full you can damage the engine. So when using a physical dip stick you what the oil level between min and max which is reflected on the digital oil measurement"

I'm skeptical, this is my 3rd BMW of the F generation and they've always been at the MAX level right after an oil change, and it even sounds like they put in an extra quart (I believe capacity is 9.5 qts). Looking for a second opinion. I may just replace the sensor on my next oil change (they look to be ~200). Although since bimmerlink seems to be showing it around 75%, I'm worried that it's more of an Idrive issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

This doesn't sound right, your oil level looks perfectly fine to me, I have never seen oil level at MAX point at any time. Even in manual it says not to add too much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
x5roadtrip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
This doesn't sound right, your oil level looks perfectly fine to me, I have never seen oil level at MAX point at any time. Even in manual it says not to add too much.
Hmm, this is what it always looked like on my 435 after an oil change. Right at the MAX line, but not over. I'm less concerned about the actual level in the engine, but more concerned that it doesn't update, especially when I added a Liter and it didn't change at all. Especially since these engines have a tendency to burn oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well mine has a dipstick and it is not always 100% matches the IDrive info.Personally MAX level would be more concerning for me vs normal level.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5roadtrip View Post
TLDR: Idrive Oil Level still showing 50% low after oil change. Dealer says that's how it's supposed to be.

-----
I purchased a new to me 2014 X5 50i. I noticed the oil level is half way between MIN and MAX, so before a trip up to the mountains I added a Liter of the BMW LL oil and it still stayed at the same level after multiple readings. I became concerned that the sensor wasn't working at had possibly overfilled, so I didn't want to add anymore. Took it to the dealer and explained the situation and asked for an oil change, and to verify the oil level sensor was at MAX afterwards.

Got the car back, the SA told me it's all topped off and everything is good to go. I double checked "the level is at MAX?", she confirmed. I'm happy until I get home and check the level again in my garage, still half way! I send a picture of the level to my SA (attached). She says she'll check with the tech first thing Monday (it was Friday afternoon).

Over the weekend I get a OBD and Bimmerlink app. I watch the oil level fluctuate from about 80-60 on the app as a I drive around, do one reading when it's at 68, Idrive still shows up half way between. Did another reading on a slight downward hill where bimmerlink showed 77, still got halfway on Idrive.

SA sends me a TXT this morning, "So According to my techinician where it is right now is considered perfect. He used 10.5 quarts of oil, if it's too full you can damage the engine. So when using a physical dip stick you what the oil level between min and max which is reflected on the digital oil measurement"

I'm skeptical, this is my 3rd BMW of the F generation and they've always been at the MAX level right after an oil change, and it even sounds like they put in an extra quart (I believe capacity is 9.5 qts). Looking for a second opinion. I may just replace the sensor on my next oil change (they look to be ~200). Although since bimmerlink seems to be showing it around 75%, I'm worried that it's more of an Idrive issue.
Go back and demand another oil change. I don't think the tech knows what he's doing on the 50i. It should always be at the max.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

The 50i N63TU takes 9qts of oil. After complete drain and re-fill, idrive always shows max level. That's where it should be. Looks like the dealership is saving some money here.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
The 50i N63TU takes 9qts of oil. After complete drain and re-fill, idrive always shows max level. That's where it should be. Looks like the dealership is saving some money here.
Looks like this stealer needs the shop foremen on top of the techs...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hmm is oil goes to MAX level after oil change only on 4.4 engines? Never seen this before.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I had no idea the actual level measurement could be read from the OBD port. That will definitely help verify that the sensor is sending information. I replaced the sensor in my 1M because it would go from reading "max" to reading "add 1 liter" without ever showing anything between, and adding 1/2 liter would make it read "max" again. I never knew if it was actually full. The new sensor behaves the same way. When the car was new, the oil reading would actually change incrementally, about 1/4 of the way between max and min each time it changed.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I'd go back and have them drain the oil into a clean vessel then measure the amount that comes out. If it is 9.5 liters (approx 10 quarts) as the SA was told...then you'll know without any hesitation that your iDrive reads low (for some reason).

If the oil is actually low...they may top up the oil but may not based on the BMW TIS's definition of the electronic oil measurement (see "oil measurement" chart below). FYI...the amount of oil between MIN & MAX is only approx 1 liter of oil...anything between ¼ above minimum - ¾ above minimum...it says top up isn't necessary.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-24-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0