Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

12-14-2020, 03:51 AM   #1
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

F80 GTS Hood Options

Hey guys,
Just wanted to get some options that are currently out there on the market for a replica GTS hood for our cars. I have seen many different venders but would like to know from personal experiences who has the best fitting product for the dollar. Looking to have it color matched to alpine white, so i think an aluminum hood would be best. Looking to spend anywhere below 1k if that's possible. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
      12-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

I think the suvneer aluminum hood is the only option you have for sub 1k. Probably the best fitting as well.

I have the 2M fiberglass hood and its ok, fitment isnt that great. Seems more narrow than stock.

In terms of fitment, you can adust all the other body panels to make it look good. Case in point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
It depends how much you want to spend. OEM would be the best but if you are okay with replica, i think the Suvneer aluminum hood would be the best bang for the buck.

I have the 2M fiberglass GTS replica hood and it took a lot of work to look decent. I pulled my fenders in as much as they could and i still wish there was still more adjustment. Seems like the hood is just a tad too narrow but who knows if they have updated the mold to address it. I also removed material from the sides where it curves inward to keep the body gap consistent. These are small details and im nitpicking, the hood looks great but i had to do a lot of adjustment.

Heres a pic below. You can find more of the fitment here https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1773095

Last edited by hC1001; 12-14-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
F80_Greg135.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      12-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
Rantlers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Suvneer isn't the manufacturer, they're just one of the many drop shippers of the aluminum hoods from alibaba/aliexpress. In terms of aftermarket solutions, here's my experience:
  • Suvneer/aluminum hood (yes, got mine through Suvneer) - 6/10 in terms of quality/fitment (returned). This is based on feedback from a very respectable body shop's analysis.
  • RW Carbon Full CF Hood - 8.5/10 in terms of quality/fitment (my current hood). Noted as one of the higher quality CF parts seen by body shop, only gripe is passenger side fender gap isn't perfect.
  • Krass Technik - 10/10 fitment/quality. If you can find one, this is the way to go. I reached out directly to the manufacturer, but they unfortunately don't make them any more. If you can find one on the used market, snatch it up.
Appreciate 1
F80_Greg135.50
      12-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantlers View Post
Suvneer isn't the manufacturer, they're just one of the many drop shippers of the aluminum hoods from alibaba/aliexpress. In terms of aftermarket solutions, here's my experience:
  • Suvneer/aluminum hood (yes, got mine through Suvneer) - 6/10 in terms of quality/fitment (returned). This is based on feedback from a very respectable body shop's analysis.
  • RW Carbon Full CF Hood - 8.5/10 in terms of quality/fitment (my current hood). Noted as one of the higher quality CF parts seen by body shop, only gripe is passenger side fender gap isn't perfect.
  • Krass Technik - 10/10 fitment/quality. If you can find one, this is the way to go. I reached out directly to the manufacturer, but they unfortunately don't make them any more. If you can find one on the used market, snatch it up.
Thank you!
      12-15-2020, 03:24 AM   #5
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone have a link by chance for the aluminum alibaba/Aliexpress hood?
      12-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Save yourself the headache and just get an OEM one. After all the effort my bodyshop went through to get the aluminum one perfect I could have just gotten OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Save yourself the headache and just get an OEM one. After all the effort my bodyshop went through to get the aluminum one perfect I could have just gotten OEM.
Appreciate the feedback. Is it that awful? I'd imagine any aftermarket part requires fitting and adjustments just like lips and diffusers and what not. But is that adjustment worth paying the price difference of 5K + vs sub 1k? Don't get me wrong oem is always best, but that's a huge price difference
      12-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
The cheapest price I've found an OEM GTS hood is $5,700+shipping and possibly tax. For most of us that's at least $6K landed. When they first released the GTS hood price was $4Kish but that didn't last long and they hiked up the price within a year.

Are you saying you paid somewhat close to $6K + paint/install for your aluminum hood? Ballpark price for an aluminum GTS replica is $1K. Paint/install can be as low as $400 for a low end job or $1K for a quality one. I'm confused how to agreed to pay 2x-3x that for a poor fitting aluminum GTS hood.
Appreciate 2
omgf80207.00
F80_Greg135.50
      12-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Quote:
The cheapest price I've found an OEM GTS hood is $5,700+shipping and possibly tax. For most of us that's at least $6K landed. When they first released the GTS hood price was $4Kish but that didn't last long and they hiked up the price within a year.

Are you saying you paid somewhat close to $6K + paint/install for your aluminum hood? Ballpark price for an aluminum GTS replica is $1K. Paint/install can be as low as $400 for a low end job or $1K for a quality one. I'm confused how to agreed to pay 2x-3x that for a poor fitting aluminum GTS hood.
Personally i think that's an absurd amount to pay for a hood. If it was the only option out there then that might be different. I've seen many replica hoods that look just fine after adjustment. Just wanted to know if that suvneer one is the best replica?
      12-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post

If you double your body/paint numbers you will get something closer to reality. You can get an OEM for much cheaper than that too.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #11
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
If you double your body/paint numbers you will get something closer to reality. You can get an OEM for much cheaper than that too.
Can you share your paint/install prices and provide a link to the OEM GTS hood you mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
wknd_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ MG ZCP F82

Just got mines from horizon motorsports. Fitment was spot but the bonnet not so much. An easy fix however I just bought an OEM bonnet
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F80_Greg135.50
      04-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
FA/CH
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Quote:
I think the suvneer aluminum hood is the only option you have for sub 1k. Probably the best fitting as well.

I have the 2M fiberglass hood and its ok, fitment isnt that great. Seems more narrow than stock.

In terms of fitment, you can adust all the other body panels to make it look good. Case in point
Well i wish it is possible to get the sunveer hood, their service is very bad, i have been emailing them , to place an order and have someone pick it up to ship overseas, they dont reply to emails, and they dont read them and they dont share even a phone number. What after market service should be expected from such a company and trust that returns/refunds/ assistance will be provided even after sales .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #14
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA/CH View Post
Well i wish it is possible to get the sunveer hood, their service is very bad, i have been emailing them , to place an order and have someone pick it up to ship overseas, they dont reply to emails, and they dont read them and they dont share even a phone number. What after market service should be expected from such a company and trust that returns/refunds/ assistance will be provided even after sales .
Thats not good to hear. I dont have personal experience with them but i recommended them because it seemed a lot of people were having positive experiences shopping at Suvneer but maybe something changed recently(Covid related?)

I still recommend the aluminum hood If you are on a budget. Its an easier material to work and the weight reduction from CF isnt huge. You can also stay with your original hood struts. There are other vendors that sell aluminum GTS hoods. I would try to pick another trusted vendor to purchase a hood.

I know bimmerworld sells them too and their customer service has always been great for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA/CH View Post
Thats not good to hear. I dont have personal experience with them but i recommended them because it seemed a lot of people were having positive experiences shopping at Suvneer but maybe something changed recently(Covid related?)

I still recommend the aluminum hood If you are on a budget. Its an easier material to work and the weight reduction from CF isnt huge. You can also stay with your original hood struts. There are other vendors that sell aluminum GTS hoods. I would try to pick another trusted vendor to purchase a hood.

I know bimmerworld sells them too and their customer service has always been great for me.
I had no idea that Bimmerworld sells an aluminum hood. Does anyone have experience with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I had no idea that Bimmerworld sells an aluminum hood. Does anyone have experience with it?
Bimmerworld does one and ECS/Turner do one now as well. Both very reputable outlets, I'm curious to see what their fitment looks like. I wonder if these are also just drop shipped / rebranded from the same manufacturer as other aftermarket hoods

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Body-Aer...82-F83-M4.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...8xhoodgts~tms/
      04-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #17
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Bimmerworld does one and ECS/Turner do one now as well. Both very reputable outlets, I'm curious to see what their fitment looks like. I wonder if these are also just drop shipped / rebranded from the same manufacturer as other aftermarket hoods

I'm starting to suspect you might be right about the drop shipping. Maybe I'll just buy one of these hoods to find out.
Appreciate 2
///JPL3.00
RugbyBro7604.50
      04-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #18
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

I'm starting to suspect you might be right about the drop shipping. Maybe I'll just buy one of these hoods to find out.
I just ordered 2 JSK dry carbon fiber reps direct from them.

Once they arrive (by sea can ) I will update here.

I've heard rumblings that RW sources their carbon rep from JSK however it is a wet lay carbon.
Appreciate 1
Wtfitzvi796.00
      04-14-2021, 11:15 PM   #19
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
I just ordered 2 JSK dry carbon fiber reps direct from them.

Once they arrive (by sea can ) I will update here.

I've heard rumblings that RW sources their carbon rep from JSK however it is a wet lay carbon.
Ohh interesting, so BW and ECS/Turner are sourcing from JSK? So like one of these:

http://www.jskracing.com/product_vie...id=297&id=3772

http://www.jskracing.com/product_vie...id=297&id=6918

Also... found this on their site

http://www.jskracing.com/product_vie...id=366&id=6432
      04-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #20
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

AP Motorsport has a LOT of super sick stuff for F8X, and it looks like they do their own GTS hood rep as well:

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...-carbon-bonnet

Schirmer also has their own:

https://www.teamschirmerparts.com/co...hood-with-dome
      04-15-2021, 05:07 AM   #21
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

For that price just buy OEM and forgo the headache of it properly fitting.

Shop around you won't pay retail. It will cost you a little more but it's worth it. Buy once cry once.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7604.50
omgf80207.00