BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-16-2020, 03:44 AM   #1
gorizonta
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 xDrive35d

Engine oil temperature over 210F on 35d (under load)

Hi, For the time I've been owning a diesel f15 I've always noticed oil temp going over 210 at certain times.

1) Under city driving no matter what, oil temp wont go over 210 F. Gauge needle is right in the middle

2) When driving on highway at 75 mph (cruise control) that needle goes up a by tiniest bit, which does not seem concerning at all.

3) Whenever going uphill (8-10% incline) for more than 10 minutes at 50-55 mph cruise control, engine at 2k rpm and sport displays showing 280 nm (205 ft lbf) of torque, that gauge goes up past the middle point (image attached, sorry its a bit shaky) by quite a bit. This happens weather the AC is on or off, before and after the engine oil change, No matter what, that uphill driving always makes the needle go beyond middle point. After the incline is over temperature quickly drops to 210 F.

I'm a bit concerned. I've never owned a diesel vehicle nor the vehicle which would have the oil temp gauge.

Do any of you diesel owners have experienced anything like this ? Is this normal or should I be concerned ? Coolant temp never goes up, engine oil level has been at max at all times.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It is normal and happens while doing the DPF self regeneration.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Non issue Id say. Diesels are meant to be run hot. DPF regen as mentioned plays into this also.

Since you are the type of person to notice things like this, Id recommend getting a Bluetooth ODB dongle and BimmerLink / Carly so you can monitor your temps exactly. The 90F spread from 210 - 300 on the gauge and the 45 degree hash marks make it hard to know your temps exactly. Approx $50 USD.

Diesels are good to 220F and can hit 250F for short periods of time. Id say your engine is running just fine.

You'll get a dash warning if you get too hot but I'd imagine your "red zone" on your oil temp gauge would be 275F-300ish.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Normal operation.

Mine does the same.

Any good constant load will move the needle from straight up just as it should.

You can follow real-time oil temps in your “hidden dashboard”, just unlock it (add the last 5 #s of your vin and press your odometer reset buttons that sum) nothing else needed to view temps, fuel levels and other useful parameters.

The synthetic oils we’re using provide a generous margin of protection against the higher oil temps we see, just keep it clean and topped up.
      12-18-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
gorizonta
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 xDrive35d

Thanks to all for your kind and educative responses. I feel relieved now. Keeping an eye on real time exact readouts sounds like good idea. I already own an OBD dongle and an android app so will do that on a next trip. Thanks to all for your time, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:43 AM   #6
vetaldj
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Don't want to create new thread but my 2015 35d started to do it as well. I noted that it goes past 210F constantly pretty much as soon as I hit acceleration harder than normal.
Also, recently I was towing a trailer (5500 lbs) and it was showing closer to 2/3 of the gauge all the time (i believe it's 250F), it did not reach it but was very close to it.
I know it can run hotter but everyone also says that this level is temporary, I had it constantly for few hours. I was stopping every hour or so to cool it down but as soon as I started driving it goes back to 250 again.
Not feel comfortable with that and will go to check it out. I've read somewhere that it might be clogged EGR cooler or some coolant leak. I did lost coolant recently but I did not see any leaks outside...
Anyway, will keep you guys posted what it was found. Have a apt next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
vetaldj
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Ok, so I dropped my car yesterday to the dealer and it ended up beed clogged EGR cooler. I saw that suggestion on one of the other board. Part ordered, will see. Good thing is still under warranty but bad thing that this will be second one in few years, so looks like some other issues present that impact it.

So, if your oil temp getting away from center - there's something wrong. I was using Liqui Molly for last few oil changes, looks like I will be going back to OEM oil to see how that will go.
Appreciate 0