BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
pn247
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.0d 2015

X5 F15 Key Fob Issues

Hi all, I have read a load of the other forum threads on these types of issue but nothing matches what I am experiencing here.

First off.... I had an alert come up saying that primary key battery was running out.

I have a 2015 X5 F15 that came with two "Sleek Slant Shaped" key fobs that don't need to be put into an ignition slot and that take the CR2032 non-rechargeable batteries. I don't have comfort opening - I have to lock/unlock the doors of the car by pressing the button on the key fob.

So, I swapped out the CR2032 battery in the primary fob and then tried to unlock but no joy. I did some reading and then tried using the valet key to open the doors so I could try to hold the key against the mark on the steering column to see if that would re-create the association, but the car alarm went off so I re-locked the car with the valet key and swapped back the battery for the original. Therefore, the primary is now working again, just with a battery that it warned me about.

I then went to test the secondary key fob and found that it no longer works! I therefore swapped out the battery for a brand new one (new lot arrived from Amazon today) and the secondary STILL won't open the car. Therefore, not wanting to mess around any more with the primary but wanting to get the secondary working, I opened the car with the primary and put that key indoors out the way. Then I sat in the car with the secondary and pressed the Start-Stop and got the "No Key Present" message. I then held the secondary against the point on the steering column and WAS able to start the car. HOWEVER, the secondary still DOES NOT open or lock the doors or allow me to start the car unless I hold it to the column.

Can anyone suggest anything before I call the dealer?

Clearly I am missing something but as I don't actually have the working secondary that I thought I did (it just stopped working, perhaps when they did some warranty work over the summer at the dealer that involved quite an extensive system reset) I am keen to get the secondary working ASAP and then get the battery replaced in the primary.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Check batteries, maybe put in wrong side - at least that happened me once. As far as I recall in the casing is a mark, do not remember if + was facing upwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
MH20jy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5 35i

It's strange that you swapped the primary key battery but it doesn't work. You can stop by one of the auto stores to test ur key functionality. Just press the key fob and you should be able see the machine LED flashes. Maybe you accidentally installed the battery incorrectly.
      01-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
pn247
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.0d 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbedi View Post
Check batteries, maybe put in wrong side - at least that happened me once. As far as I recall in the casing is a mark, do not remember if + was facing upwards.
Thank you. Good shout
Definitely put the batteries in the right way but the contacts in the secondary weren't correctly making contact.

Took out, sorted and now working with new battery.

Then checked primary and bizarrely was the same!

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0