M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #1
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Car bogging after catless downpipe install

Hey all,

I recently got my catless downpipes installed and put about 700 miles on the car.

The problem is that whenever I accelerate hard and the rpms go past 5k, the car bogs, stutters, and won't go (sounds like 2 stepping). I am still on the stock tune with a check engine light throwing codes just for emissions.

Is this happening because I don't have a tune? I am thinking that there isn't enough fuel being sent to compensate for the increased air flow. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

No
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

The car is probably making more power with the catless pipes and your coils and/or spark plugs can't keep up. I'd throw a fresh set of spark plugs in and see if that helps. If you tune the car, you'll definitely want to install a fresh set of plugs anyways to avoid misfires.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
The car is probably making more power with the catless pipes and your coils and/or spark plugs can't keep up. I'd throw a fresh set of spark plugs in and see if that helps. If you tune the car, you'll definitely want to install a fresh set of plugs anyways to avoid misfires.
Hmm I had new spark plugs put in about 3k miles ago. I would think they're still good, even with catless. Do they have to be gapped differently? Or is that just with a tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

You probably messed up one of the O2 sensors during the install.. if you've done everything correctly and none of the O2 sensors are damaged it should drive the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecpe View Post
You probably messed up one of the O2 sensors during the install.. if you've done everything correctly and none of the O2 sensors are damaged it should drive the same.
That might be the case. I was lazy and didn't disconnect them when removing and they probably got too twisted. Question is, do I just buy all 4? Looks like it's $400 in total from FCP Euro.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
That might be the case. I was lazy and didn't disconnect them when removing and they probably got too twisted. Question is, do I just buy all 4? Looks like it's $400 in total from FCP Euro.
How did you not disconnect them during removal? The primary o2 sensors sandwich in the top heat shield, right?

Sounds like spark plugs are not the culprit if you just replaced them recently.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Quote:
How did you not disconnect them during removal? The primary o2 sensors sandwich in the top heat shield, right?

Sounds like spark plugs are not the culprit if you just replaced them recently.
I simply unscrewed them from the downpipes. I didn't disconnect them from the connector side (which twisted them a lot in both the removal and install).

In the video I watched the guy did the same and was fine. After reading some more, it sounds like these sensors are very fragile...

I bought all four of them with overnight shipping and will see if it fixes the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 05:05 AM   #9
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Never do that, twisting the wires wrecks them
Appreciate 1
Fast.F10513.50
      02-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Installed all 4 new O2 sensors. Car runs smoother but still bogs intermittently after 4.5k rpms (same problem).

I have no idea what's wrong. Taking it to a performance BMW shop on Tuesday and will update again then.

Weird thing is that I'm not getting any codes other than increased emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:27 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Are you using a factory air filter? If you are using a high flow filter with oil like K&N it could be dirty MAF's. Also, did you check to make sure the air intake tubes are lined up and sealed all the way around.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #12
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Are you using a factory air filter? If you are using a high flow filter with oil like K&N it could be dirty MAF's. Also, did you check to make sure the air intake tubes are lined up and sealed all the way around.
The air filters are stock. I didn't touch the air intake tubes, except for the small hoses connecting to the intake itself. Is that what you are referring to? (Attached picture)

I will take a look at it tomorrow during the day. Not having those sealed all the way around can cause something like this to happen? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:40 AM   #13
bongshi4
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

PCV hoses

Quote:
The air filters are stock. I didn't touch the air intake tubes, except for the small hoses connecting to the intake itself. Is that what you are referring to? (Attached picture)

I will take a look at it tomorrow during the day. Not having those sealed all the way around can cause something like this to happen? Thanks!
Those hoses are Positive Crankcase Ventilation hoses, the downstream of this hose is connected to the inlet of turbo charger intake.

I'm not so sure if this would cause the bogging of your car thou..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #14
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongshi4 View Post
Quote:

Those hoses are Positive Crankcase Ventilation hoses, the downstream of this hose is connected to the inlet of turbo charger intake.

I'm not so sure if this would cause the bogging of your car thou..
Yeah, I'm at a loss of what could be the problem. These hoses aren't sitting as tight as they could be since the plastic holders/connectors aren't in the best shape anymore. So maybe some air creeps in under heavy load?

Something in the fuel system could have crapped out at the same time, but there's no codes. Just the increased emission codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Those hose do become brittle and crack. An easy way to see if you have any pirated air entering the intake is to spray a little starter fluid around the intake tubes and pcv. hoses. It only takes a short burst and you'll hear the eng pickup a couple hundred rpms. I'd inspect the pcv hoses for sure if you moved them around.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #16
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Did you happen to notice if there was any oil build up or leaking around the pcv hose coupler?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Also, how many miles on the engine? Are you the original owner and if not do you know if the prev owner tuned the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #18
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those hose do become brittle and crack. An easy way to see if you have any pirated air entering the intake is to spray a little starter fluid around the intake tubes and pcv. hoses. It only takes a short burst and you'll hear the eng pickup a couple hundred rpms. I'd inspect the pcv hoses for sure if you moved them around.
I'll definitely inspect them and see if they're cracked. If they are, could this be causing the bogging issue at high rpm?

There definitely was oil in the pcv hose coupler, is that bad?

32k miles on the car and more than likely had downpipes and a tune before.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #19
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll definitely inspect them and see if they're cracked. If they are, could this be causing the bogging issue at high rpm?

any time you get pirated/unmeasured air involved things are going to not go well. If the car had pipes and a tune previously then it could be coils. The reason I ask about the tune is if they left it tuned then you may need to go with a step or two colder plugs and gap them as the added air pressure could be preventing spark.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #20
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

any time you get pirated/unmeasured air involved things are going to not go well. If the car had pipes and a tune previously then it could be coils. The reason I ask about the tune is if they left it tuned then you may need to go with a step or two colder plugs and gap them as the added air pressure could be preventing spark.
I'll have the shop look at the coils as well.

In regards to the car still being tuned, I don't believe so since it drives like stock and it has a check engine light from increased emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #21
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
If this ends up being an injector(s) issue; I don't have the TSB/notice but BMW extended the warranty on injectors to approx 120k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #22
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If this ends up being an injector(s) issue; I don't have the TSB/notice but BMW extended the warranty on injectors to approx 120k miles.
Thanks a lot, I'll look into finding the exact tsb. It covers all years of the f10 M5?
Appreciate 0