ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Seat discoloration-seat replacement potential

Although a slight wearing away of color on the right vertical bolster (and the what I thought were slits on the edge of the left vertical bolster) of the driver's seat was adequately fixed (recolored), I am now noticing that both driver's seat vertical bolsters (almost the whole bolster)appear to be casting a bluish hue. Interestly and importantly note that the back of the seat and the bottom of the seat are still their original tan color. Because of the original wearing away of color on the seat's vertical bolsters in a car that is extremely well kept (with minimum mileage after three years of garaging) I am still of the opinion that this seat was improperly colored and should have been replaced (replacement was denied for the original problem).

Now here's my question: Before I contact BMW service about the bolster discoloring, I'd like to make sure that I'm on the right track. That is, if I can prove that the bolster coloring is faulty, then I think that I have a very good claim for seat replacement. So, I don't want to screw things up! It is possible, although improbable because the bluish discoloration only appears on the vertical bolsters and not the seat back or seat bottom, that something I wore casued the discoloration. What should I use, or how can I find out, if the discoloration may be due to some external cause and not the seat itself? I'm under waranty until 9/09.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Dye from new blue jean garmets often blue tint leather seats. Might try a light leather cleaner. I usually wash new jean garmets before I climb into my cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Agreed, rc.Z, but as i haven't worn anything new that may have rubbed on to the leather, AND since there is no other discoloration on the back or bottom of the seat, And since the discoloration is appearing only on the bolsters that have shown "wear-throguh" to the leather (which was recently fixed by as a one shot curtesy), I'm of the very strong oinion that the factory was at fault in not properly coloring the bolster parts of the seat. Nonetheless, I will see if a mild solution of woolite and water does nything to remove the bluish haze-like discoloration. If it doesn't, then I will have a fight on my hands to get the seat replaced...
Appreciate 0