Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I want to preface this question by saying I have searched and read every single downpipe/midpipe thread I could find and was able to come to a couple conclusions.

1. Catless downpipes make exhaust note significantly louder but will require a tune to clear CEL, you won't pass emissions, and is difficult to reverse the install. They also have a notable performance increase with a tune (~15-20whp)

2. Mid pipes change the note of the exhaust to a throatier note but don't have any performance increase or make the exhaust louder alone.

That being said, I'm a child and want loud exhaust with burbles. My car is a non-ZCP so the sound is lacking to say the least. However, I would like to do so on a budget as I know mods add nothing to the value of the car and can't bring myself to just burn $4-6k on a proper cat-back.

I was leaning towards the BM3 + DP package on XPH but after seeing some recent threads, I'm afraid I won't pass emissions.
I live in a part of texas that requires emission testing, unfortunately, and I would like to get the best bang (burble) for the buck under $2k. What would be the best route for me to take?

EDIT: Just to clarify I may have used a tad too much hyperbole in my question, I'm just looking for exhaust with some character, like burbles on downshifts and deeper more aggressive tone. I'm not trying to be tiktok with a car that sets off alarms and sounds like a Mexican revolution.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
NYe90M3
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 M3 DCT

theres no need to spend 4-6k on a new exhaust, buy something used on the forums. i was lucky enough to get a full remus catback off of instagram for $1500 and its loud enough, downpipes would be overkill for me.
Appreciate 2
PhatLyfe985.00
      03-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

Consider going to the back of your car and lay down close to the tail pipes and unplug the exhaust flap solenoids. I unplugged both sides of mine and taped up the connections and tucked the wires as best as I could. I believe that I read that you only have to unplug the right side. This will put you in the game until your next move.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Removing back box is free99
As obnoxious as it gets
Appreciate 1
swampfox941186.50
      03-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post
I want to preface this question by saying I have searched and read every single downpipe/midpipe thread I could find and was able to come to a couple conclusions.

1. Catless downpipes make exhaust note significantly louder but will require a tune to clear CEL, you won't pass emissions, and is difficult to reverse the install. They also have a notable performance increase with a tune (~15-20whp)

2. Mid pipes change the note of the exhaust to a throatier note but don't have any performance increase or make the exhaust louder alone.

That being said, I'm a child and want loud exhaust with burbles. My car is a non-ZCP so the sound is lacking to say the least. However, I would like to do so on a budget as I know mods add nothing to the value of the car and can't bring myself to just burn $4-6k on a proper cat-back.

I was leaning towards the BM3 + DP package on XPH but after seeing some recent threads, I'm afraid I won't pass emissions.
I live in a part of texas that requires emission testing, unfortunately, and I would like to get the best bang (burble) for the buck under $2k. What would be the best route for me to take?
For under $2k the easiest improvement is the AA EL midpipe. Non res. It's obnoxious. Since you have a non ZCP car you could also add in a tune with burbles to increase the obnoxious factor and still be under $2k.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
RE36TRO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///E36,E46,E92,F80

Leave it stock, free #weedwacker
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That being said, I'm a child and want loud exhaust with burbles.
Dude don't be "that guy", burbles (especially popcorn/gunshots) are overplayed and a straight catless exhaust (no resonators or muffler) is plain disrespectful to people around you. As suggested above, try a mid-pipe (Single or EL), well under $2k and you'll delete the secondary cats and resonator, and combine that by hardwiring the valves open on the OE exhaust and I promise you'll be plenty loud, absolutely loud enough to be obnoxious under load. The best part is you'll still be emissions compliant unless they do a visual, then it'll depend on your state's sophistication with visual inspections
PhatLyfe985.00
TideMD291.50
TimmyM56241.50
swagon13552.50
Kilabyte3949.00
bsmf8x778.50
9M711235.00
      03-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #8
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

BM3 stage 1 (medium burbles, cracks) and a resonator delete on sport+ is nice...anything louder is annoying. Best thing, when I enter the neighbourhood, I place it in efficient mode and its quite.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #9
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

The exhaust is obnoxious from the factory. Can't make this car sound good.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
bensf82
@bensf82
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I got AA' EL midpipe and it literally made the car enjoyable to rev out where as before I really did not like how it sounded.

If youve been on the forums you have to have seen the circlejerk around EL midpipes, but as someone who has no problem being extremely critical of bad products this thing puts a smile on my face all the time. One of the mods I will look back on and know it was worth the money (and imo it is the only pipe that changes S55 car sounds in any meaningful way)
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7604.50
Kilabyte3949.00
      03-10-2021, 10:23 PM   #11
F80Danny2018
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Gonna have to say the best bang for your buck is the AA Single Midpipe. Roughly under 1k installed & you get the loud pops and bangs here and there. Valves opened it sounds great, valves closed basically back to stock.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I sure hope dmk08 doesn't find this thread haha.
Appreciate 3
TideMD291.50
swagon13552.50
      03-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Dude don't be "that guy", burbles (especially popcorn/gunshots) are overplayed and a straight catless exhaust (no resonators or muffler) is plain disrespectful to people around you. As suggested above, try a mid-pipe (Single or EL), well under $2k and you'll delete the secondary cats and resonator, and combine that by hardwiring the valves open on the OE exhaust and I promise you'll be plenty loud, absolutely loud enough to be obnoxious under load. The best part is you'll still be emissions compliant unless they do a visual, then it'll depend on your state's sophistication with visual inspections
Agreed. There is no upside to a very loud aftermarket exhaust and people only do it because they want to be obnoxious knobs.

OP, aftermarket downpipes will also definitely not make it deeper; quite the opposite actually... Rasp city.
      03-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #14
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Insulation foam is what I would like to put in people's loud ass exhaust systems, lous exhaust systems especially when your not going fast is annoying as Faq. Don't rice out the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #15
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

AA single mid, MPE, BM3 GTS clone tune
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #16
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
GTS clone tune as in the trans and 0+ GTS map?

Got a video of how it sounds?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #17
ohohoh123456
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

i recently came across a kid on the street in his m4, definitely muffler and res delete, was obnoxious but sounded like 120db of dogshit. pick any midpipe + or - dp, as long as don't be like this kid i saw...
      03-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #18
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohoh123456 View Post
i recently came across a kid on the street in his m4, definitely muffler and res delete, was obnoxious but sounded like 120db of dogshit. pick any midpipe + or - dp, as long as don't be like this kid i saw...
Hardware stores sell spray on expanding foam, he may be the perfect candidate to try on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #19
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral///M4 View Post
Consider going to the back of your car and lay down close to the tail pipes and unplug the exhaust flap solenoids. I unplugged both sides of mine and taped up the connections and tucked the wires as best as I could. I believe that I read that you only have to unplug the right side. This will put you in the game until your next move.
This serves the same function as putting the car in sport+ no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

Yeah I should have been a little less dramatic. I'm not looking to be obnoxious (misleading title, I know) im really just looking for some burbles on downshift, louder, more aggressive note. I find popcorn/gunshot noises tacky and trashy. I should have been more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Show me somewhere I can get that for less than $5k though 😭

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Danny2018 View Post
Gonna have to say the best bang for your buck is the AA Single Midpipe. Roughly under 1k installed & you get the loud pops and bangs here and there. Valves opened it sounds great, valves closed basically back to stock.
Thanks! Do you have this installed? Non-zcp? No tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #20
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
This serves the same function as putting the car in sport+
Kind of, the valves are still closed in sport/sport+ in certain situations like light throttle, under 3k, in a high gear cruising. Unplugging them will have them open all the time but depending on your exhaust setup this can get drony pretty fast. I’d recommend a valve controller so you have control over it like VSC2
      03-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
GTS clone tune as in the trans and 0+ GTS map?

Got a video of how it sounds?
Yes 0+ GTS map. I ran stg1 then stg2 and the GTS map is the smoothes I have felt and the low lingering burbles are to die for. Nothing replaces what the M4 GTS sounds like. I am not chasing big HP.... I hooligan in the mountains and prefer a smooth tune
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #22
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:

EDIT: Just to clarify I may have used a tad too much hyperbole in my question, I'm just looking for exhaust with some character, like burbles on downshifts and deeper more aggressive tone. I'm not trying to be tiktok with a car that sets off alarms and sounds like a Mexican revolution.

Do mid pipe swap first it will make a OEM muffler louder by quite a bit actually.

Id say hard pass on the burble tune thing ...that bs is almost over hopefully.
Appreciate 0