M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

CSF intercooler reviews?

Guys, I'm considering the CSF intercoolers for a comp F10 M5 with dps and a stage 1 tune. I've stumbled upon the Evolve review which is favourable. I've also come across random comments from some of the guys on the forum using the product which indicate no dissatisfaction with it.

I'm keen to collect the reviews in this thread and to elicit any available data logs supporting them.

It would also be informative if those who post their reviews were to indicate whether they are running meth in tandem with the coolers.

Any constructive feedback will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

They seem a lot of money, for not a huge gain to me. Main benefit I can see is the ability to use the built in meth ports. I also see a lot of people using Project Gamma for less than half the price of CSF, although CSF is the superior product in terms of quality, I dont think it justifies the price tag.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 m850gc

I have the CSF coolers on a comp car with ESS stage one tune and catless DPs as well as a meth setup. My meth is sprayed into the charge pipes not the coolers though.

I live in Phoenix Arizona where it gets ridiculously hot in the summer months and they absolutely help with keeping the temps down. The fit and finish is great on these.

I have no feedback on the other brands of coolers but I’m sure they’re good as well.
      03-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm55 View Post
Guys, I'm considering the CSF intercoolers for a comp F10 M5 with dps and a stage 1 tune. I've stumbled upon the Evolve review which is favourable. I've also come across random comments from some of the guys on the forum using the product which indicate no dissatisfaction with it.

I'm keen to collect the reviews in this thread and to elicit any available data logs supporting them.

It would also be informative if those who post their reviews were to indicate whether they are running meth in tandem with the coolers.

Quote:

$750

. If you pay $2500 for the label well that's up to you
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
They seem a lot of money, for not a huge gain to me. Main benefit I can see is the ability to use the built in meth ports. I also see a lot of people using Project Gamma for less than half the price of CSF, although CSF is the superior product in terms of quality, I dont think it justifies the price tag.
The price is steep indeed. I'm wanting to keep IATs down and I'm not sure if injecting meth into the charge pipes, without more, will achieve my objectives. Ours summer temps and thin air (with DA often creeping over 8000) tax the cooling and spike IATs to undesirable levels. I can't imagine the Project Gamma intakes will help with this issue. I see that there are alternate options (VRSF and BMS) at significantly lower prices, but I haven't managed to source any customer reviews on either
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheW View Post
I have the CSF coolers on a comp car with ESS stage one tune and catless DPs as well as a meth setup. My meth is sprayed into the charge pipes not the coolers though.

I live in Phoenix Arizona where it gets ridiculously hot in the summer months and they absolutely help with keeping the temps down. The fit and finish is great on these.

I have no feedback on the other brands of coolers but I’m sure they’re good as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I have two questions:

- Why are you not injecting meth post IC i.e. into the ports available on the CSF i/c (which I understand is way better)?

- Do you have any data logs that you are able to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidde View Post
$750

I hear you, but what can I get for $750 that will achieve my objectives?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:59 AM   #8
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have two questions:

- Why are you not injecting meth post IC i.e. into the ports available on the CSF i/c (which I understand is way better)?

- Do you have any data logs that you are able to share?
I had the meth installed before I got the coolers. I could switch the placement of the meth injectors if I want to but it’s not much of a priority for me right now because I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling the car very soon.

I’m sorry I don’t have any data logs.
      03-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #9
eidde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m6

Quote:
Quote:
$750

Quote:
Quote:
$750

The charge coolers don't pay the $2500 when the same product can be had for $750
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The charge coolers don't pay the $2500 when the same product can be had for $750
Eidde, this is all a little cryptic. What is the name of the product to which you refer and from whom can I source it for $750
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheW View Post
I had the meth installed before I got the coolers. I could switch the placement of the meth injectors if I want to but it’s not much of a priority for me right now because I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling the car very soon.

I’m sorry I don’t have any data logs.
Understood thanks. If you decide to reinstall your stock intercoolers when you sell and to then sell the csf intercoolers separately, please let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #12
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understood thanks. If you decide to reinstall your stock intercoolers when you sell and to then sell the csf intercoolers separately, please let me know
Ok I’ll let you know. 👍
      03-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #13
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Google it
I found the cheaper ones a while back
From what i understand charge temps is slightly lower but boost drop also?
Main benifit is charge temps come down quicker, sorta like an rpi cooler on an e60, running temp the same as a minimum, but if it gets beaten on and hot it comes back to normal operating temp quicker
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

You can also get FTP Chargepipes for $200 and it has meth injection ports built in.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:37 AM   #15
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnsandman View Post
You can also get FTP Chargepipes for $200 and it has meth injection ports built in.
That is an option. I have charge pipes with inbuilt meth injection ports sitting in my garage. I am undecided on going that route, primarily because I've been told that injecting meth via the charge pipes rather than after the intercoolers serves little purpose. Perhaps guys with this meth set-up can chime in
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #16
Craze
Captain
Rep

Most inject via charge pipes
Actually its best at throttle body I believe

Most charge pipes dont fit properly
As they may the same pipe for both sides when in fact the angle is different
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Most inject via charge pipes
Actually its best at throttle body I believe

Most charge pipes dont fit properly
As they may the same pipe for both sides when in fact the angle is different
Thanks. I'd be keen to know whether, and if so to what extent, injecting meth via the charge pipes cools the intake temperatures. My understanding (which is perhaps incorrect) is that the benefits of going this route are negligible. If the gains are not tangible, then I'd rather not waste the time and money.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:33 AM   #18
Craze
Captain
Rep

Im pretty sure it does benifit as thats how most do it

As to how much not sure
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for CSF, their product's quality, fit, and finish are second to none. it also provides a cooling upgrade over stock.

I use their coolers and it works really well during the Las Vegas summer

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:53 AM   #20
sdrawkcaB
Follow the rabbit. 🐇
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I bought a set of Project Gamma charge coolers. Upon close inspection when they arrived, I can actually see remnants of where the CSF==== 3D logo had been. It looks like it was sanded down prior to being painted.

Long story short, these are all the same. The only difference is the finish coating and branding applied from CSF, Project Gamma, or Burger Motorsports. I believe they are all coming from the very same overseas manufacturer.

Last edited by sdrawkcaB; 08-16-2021 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #21
Craze
Captain
Rep

Does any one have feedback of how it feels in the car? Does it actually make it have more power at same ambient temps? Or does it only bring charge temps back down quicker after a pull?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #22
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Does any one have feedback of how it feels in the car? Does it actually make it have more power at same ambient temps? Or does it only bring charge temps back down quicker after a pull?
I had used oem coolers drilled for meth and it was perfectly fine.
Then I bought project gamma coolers, one of them had the TB guide pin slightly far away from where it supposed to be so I shaved it but overall fitment is good.

Temps are not that great due to heat soak (ambient 116, charge air 133) without meth, 2psi drop between the oem coolers and PG coolers and then decided to stack it with JB4.

I only purchased the coolers cuz I thought my previous setup had a leak which wasn't the case, I was under boost because I was hitting the load target already.

In other words If you are in a cooler climate just get used oem coolers drill for meth and save your money
Appreciate 1