BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

11-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Best place for laser heads?

I have the laser interceptor and am trying to figure out where to mount the heads on my M3. I saw in the DIY forum, one person mounted his laser heads in the center vent on the bumper. Would the side ducts be better? What about behind the kidney grille? Supposedly closer to the headlight the better. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Hard to say. I've seen at least one mounted behind the kidney grills. I think I would mount it under the kidney grills, one on each side of the license place halfway between it and the lights. Wherever you mount it, make sure it is level (use a small bubble level) and pointed as straight ahead as possible. The car should be on level ground when using the bubble level.

In the LI manual it says that you can mount it vertical, but from what I've heard (can't substantially verify though) this limits it. But if you're willing to do it this way you may be able to mount it between the fins in the kidney grill. However, the slats seem to be slanted a bit and the LI heads need to be completely vertical. Check the vertical-ness of the slats with a bubble level before trying it.

You might try going to the radardetector.net forums and asking your question there. Some of those guys have experience with this.

Good luck.