BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
PGNCS
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87 120i

2A6B Power supply limit VVT-emergency Code

Hey all,

Hoping someone who has experience with this code can help. Before posting I searched this and other forums in depth but haven't come across anyone getting this code only, hence the post. I have an E87 120i Auto, N46 engine.

The half, yellow CEL came on and I ran the codes and the only thing that came up was 2A6B. Based on other peoples experience this could be either the valvetronic motor or the eccentric shaft sensor. Others have noted that a way of checking if it is the sensor is if there is oil contamination in the plug so I lifted the cover yesterday to check and there was a bit of gunk but no oil as far as I could tell.

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can pinpoint the problem to the motor/sensor before I go buying them and trying. Any tell tale signs of a valvetronic motor on its way out?

Anyway, I cleaned the plug out today and cleared the codes, started the car up and no CEL. Went for a drive and no code or lights came up but I definitely noticed poor performance. It came close to stalling a few times and idled a bit rough.

Thanks
Appreciate 0