ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

test drove couple z4m's.

so throughout the course of about 2 months.. i have driven two z4m coupes.

one is 2008 red/black optioned out 200 miles

one is 2007 used white/black carbon trim no navi 21000 miles

so i have a couple questions concerning the two drives ive had.

for the red coupe, when i testdrove it, the car was VERY quiet. i kept in mind that the car wasn't broken in yet, and the acceleration was smooth but not brutal.. not much of an umph in it. i also kept in mind that this red coupe had been sitting in the showroom floor for so long that the battery had died, and that it had to be jumped before my testdrive.

for the white coupe, which i just drove today, everything was just a little different. since it had 20,000 miles, right off the bat in first gear (just starting out) there were small vibrations throughout the car.. and there were a "whine" in the transmission/gearbox im not too sure that i thought was either 1) normal or 2) change of final drive ratios? cut to the chase..when i floored this broken in z4m coupe, there was a huge umph compared to the other red coupe.. and the top of second gear was around in the high 60'smph. (just in case there WAS a change in the final drive).. overall, this white coupe i just drove today was a lot closer to what i thought driving a z4m was like: loud engine noises (even louder with sport button on), small vibrations throughout the cabin, and a pretty good umph in almost every gear.

so questions: is my description of the z4m experience closer to the red car or the white car? honestly, when i drove the red coupe, it was civilized, quiet, and not so much umph.. not too impressed.. but when i drove the white coupe today, i was blown away by the sound, performance, so much that i thought the car had either 1) final drive 2)software 3) SOMETHING?.. the white coupe was just listed a couple days ago and the dealership had not checked if it had any after market parts..

i need opinions and guidance on my feelings between the two cars. thanks for reading!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

They both sound like the are still stock, just with different miles0. The final drive gears put you in the 60s with the stock gears. I've got 3.91 gears and just barely hit 60 in second, a 4.10 won't make it to 60mph before redline. The difference in the exhaust note is likely just due to mileage as well, though mine is still fairly quiet until you let the revs climb (I just hit 10k miles this week). To me, it sounds mostly like you were more comfortable revving the white one thanks to it's higher miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Hopefully you didn't drive the new red Z4 M hard. The gearbox needs super 300 gentle miles (per owner's manual) to run in properly and the motor and drivetrain need 1200 miles at under 5500 rpms, under 2/3 throttle, and under 105 mph to run in. Like all cars, things loosen up over time and motors get stronger. There's an appreciable difference between the power of a brand new motor and one at 5,000 miles and over. Even at 20,000 miles the motor should be producing more power. A lot depends on the run in period. BMW even suggests to not flog it at 1200 miles (after the first service), but gently start to increase the rpms and throttle position beyond 2/3s.

Who knows if the white Z4M has any mods. The car responds well to mods, but it's not a car people mod too much. There's always exceptions as the board would show, but most consumers don't mod much beyond simple things and/or wheels.

IMO, must mods include the RPI ram air scoop and high flow airbox filter ($200). The RPI skid plates ($60) to protect the lower front end from curbing. ESS software ($900) to give it a little more umph as you say and to erase the speed limiter (and raise revs to 8200 if you want). If you have $3000 to spend, the 3.91 final gear change (Dinan, ACS) is perhaps the best money spent, followed by exhaust changes like BMS ($1600).
      11-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

How did they manage to find a M with no navi? I thought it was stock?
Anyway depending on the price difference id defiantly go for the new one, warranty, navi, all options + your the first owner. Nothing beats that
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the replies guys.. im sure our definition of loudness or cabin noise is different. but im coming from a s2000... thanks for the must mods too! i really need this car now.. after driving the white one.

i did not drive the red coupe hard btw. i couldnt.. as i understood that the motor isn't broken in yet. no worries there. but just comparing the initial feel the noise level of the two cars and even the aceleration (umph).. i'd say the difference between the two cars isn't night and day. but more like sunset to nighttime haha. bad analogy i know.. but thanks for the reply.

i guess i just need to drive more broken in z4ms to decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep

one thing..

red coupe sitting in dealership for a whole year was def. opted out. sticker was 55k. and their "special price" was 52k. i just laughed at the price but just wanted a testdrive feel.

white coupe had black interior and carbon trim. prem sound.. thats it. 23k miles going for 37500.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
How did they manage to find a M with no navi? I thought it was stock?
Anyway depending on the price difference id defiantly go for the new one, warranty, navi, all options + your the first owner. Nothing beats that

Yes, that's a no-brainer. But 20,000 miles isn't terrible either. Navi is an option in the US. My car isn't a daily driver so I didn't want it.
      11-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
IMO, must mods include the RPI ram air scoop and high flow airbox filter ($200). The RPI skid plates ($60) to protect the lower front end from curbing. ESS software ($900) to give it a little more umph as you say and to erase the speed limiter (and raise revs to 8200 if you want). If you have $3000 to spend, the 3.91 final gear change (Dinan, ACS) is perhaps the best money spent, followed by exhaust changes like BMS ($1600).
The diff change was pricey, but you could have your original diff rebuilt with the motorsport gears for under $2000 from what I've heard ($700 for the parts, ~$1200 for the labor), so you'd come in less than the ESS software and exhaust. If I could have done only one, I'd get them again - they put the car's performance where it belongs.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
The diff change was pricey, but you could have your original diff rebuilt with the motorsport gears for under $2000 from what I've heard ($700 for the parts, ~$1200 for the labor), so you'd come in less than the ESS software and exhaust. If I could have done only one, I'd get them again - they put the car's performance where it belongs.
For sure. The benefit of that change affects every rpm in every gear (equally and measureably). You can't say that about any tune or other motor-related enhancements, other than perhaps a lightweight flywheel, but that affect is far less dramatic.
      11-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
greenaw
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red M Coupe

[QUOTE=j03chu;3595828]thanks for the replies guys.. im sure our definition of loudness or cabin noise is different. but im coming from a s2000... thanks for the must mods too! i really need this car now.. after driving the white one.

Just do it! I traded in a 2007 S2000 for a 2006 M Coupe with 5000 miles. The S was a great car, but the difference is night and day. The M is unbelievable.
Appreciate 0