ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Damaged my Z4 and 525 - BMW body shop or generic place?

I had an unfortunate accident yesterday that caused body damage to both my 525i and my Z4. I left my 5er in gear and it went up my driveway and ultimately scraped the side of my Z4 that was parked in the garage. I know, not one of the brightest things I've done. I have $250 deductibles on both vehicles and I plan to make insurance claims on both vehicles since the damage will likely be in the $2k (USD) neighborhood for each vehicle. I called State Farm and they told me that my rates will not go up as a result.

My question is:
Should I get both cars repaired by the BMW dealership or just go to XYZ place that State Farm recommends? The mom-and-pop place they recommended is less than a mile from my house and State Farm DOES NOT require that one of their adjusters is present for the estimate since this place is "approved" by them. They'll also pick-up my car and drop it off at my house when they're done. Essentially, this place is MUCH more convenient. The BMW dealership with a body shop is about 30 miles from my house and the State Farm adjuster must be present at the time of the estimate and it sounds like transportation to and from is on my dime. So, are all body shops the same? Is it really that big of a deal to do with the dealer versus the local place? Both will use BMW parts and both claim to be able to match the paint easily.

Last edited by wasupdu; 11-12-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Tough call, especially if the mom-n-pop shop actually does quality work.

I say take the "shittier" of the two cars to the mom-n-pop place and see the result. From there you can decide where to take the other one.
      11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
quickfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: quickfast

Howd you leave your car in gear and get out?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Just give it to us...

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

any pics!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

The mom-n-pop shop is used from BMW because they get lower rates not necessarily because the quality is better. If you go to a state-farm approved place they will guarantee the paint for the life of the car. A bad job will not be noticed till a year later when the paint starts flaking....go to state farm approved place, it's worth the guarantee of quality
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Best advice you will get, "Go to each shop and look at a couple of finished cars". That is what yours will look like when they are done, if you are lucky!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Best advice you will get, "Go to each shop and look at a couple of finished cars". That is what yours will look like when they are done, if you are lucky!
X2, you should definitely go to both shops and check out the quality of their work. I'm in the process of choosing a shop for my car as well...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Also ask local car forums for names of quality shops.

When my E90 was rear-ended 6 months after moving to Phoenix I posted on the local car forums, including the Scottsdale Exotic Car Club forum. One shop kept getting suggested so I went with them - figured if it's good enough for their Ferraris and Lambos, it's good enough for my Bimmer.
They did a great job, and I've since sent friends their way.
      11-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Also ask local car forums for names of quality shops.

When my E90 was rear-ended 6 months after moving to Phoenix I posted on the local car forums, including the Scottsdale Exotic Car Club forum. One shop kept getting suggested so I went with them - figured if it's good enough for their Ferraris and Lambos, it's good enough for my Bimmer.
They did a great job, and I've since sent friends their way.
True, the shops I'm going to look at are BMW CCA "friends"

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Great ideas guys. I stopped at the State Farm recommended place with my Z4 to get an estimate. The guy came back and told me the damage (on my Z4) was only $812. I looked at his estimate and I told him that he forgot to include the passenger door which has a 2 FOOT scrape on it. He said he didn't see anything on the door so I showed him the obvious marks and he returned with an estimate of $925. I asked him why it was only $100 for the door and he just shrugged his shoulders....I then noticed that he didn't have anything on the estimate for the turn signal assembly or the front fender. He proceeded to say that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the signal assembly or the fender. We walked out to my car again and I showed him the softball-sized hole on the passenger side where the turn signal was torn off and there were dents in the fender. I then asked him why I should use his body shop versus the BMW dealer and he responded with, "Well, you obviously have a lot of money tied up in both of these cars, so if it were me then I'd take it to the dealer"...unbelievable. I asked him about the color matching and he simply replied, "black is black, of course we have black paint".....again, unbelievable.

Needless to say, I'm taking it to the BMW shop. I have 2 cars so I really don't care how long it takes to get them repaired since I can drive the other one in the meantime.
      11-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
"Well, you obviously have a lot of money tied up in both of these cars, so if it were me then I'd take it to the dealer"...unbelievable. I asked him about the color matching and he simply replied, "black is black, of course we have black paint".....again, unbelievable.

Needless to say, I'm taking it to the BMW shop. I have 2 cars so I really don't care how long it takes to get them repaired since I can drive the other one in the meantime.
It's amazing places like this can even be in business...

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
knuklz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw Z4 3.0Si

wow... nothing else to say
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #14
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

If this idiot shop is a State Farm recommended shop, you should complain about them to SF.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
If this idiot shop is a State Farm recommended shop, you should complain about them to SF.
+1
I'd hate to think of this place getting some unsuspecting person's business.
      11-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

If I heard what that person said and he was a State Farm approved facility, I'd be calling to complain right away and qouting what I had been told to State Farm.

That level of customer service is extremely unacceptable especially when that shop is supposed to represent one of the largest insurance companies in North America.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupdu View Post
Great ideas guys. I stopped at the State Farm recommended place with my Z4 to get an estimate. The guy came back and told me the damage (on my Z4) was only $812. I looked at his estimate and I told him that he forgot to include the passenger door which has a 2 FOOT scrape on it. He said he didn't see anything on the door so I showed him the obvious marks and he returned with an estimate of $925. I asked him why it was only $100 for the door and he just shrugged his shoulders....I then noticed that he didn't have anything on the estimate for the turn signal assembly or the front fender. He proceeded to say that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the signal assembly or the fender. We walked out to my car again and I showed him the softball-sized hole on the passenger side where the turn signal was torn off and there were dents in the fender. I then asked him why I should use his body shop versus the BMW dealer and he responded with, "Well, you obviously have a lot of money tied up in both of these cars, so if it were me then I'd take it to the dealer"...unbelievable. I asked him about the color matching and he simply replied, "black is black, of course we have black paint".....again, unbelievable.

Surprisingly honest, in a kind of messed up way. At least you stood warned.
Appreciate 0