ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Battery recommendation for 2005 2.5l

Have only put on 15K in three years and now the battery is dead. BMW says I don't drive enoung and won't replace. Have a choice between 94R-DLG or H5-DLG from Autozone for about $130. Anyone know if there is any real difference between the two, assuming that they both fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
DyZ42003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

my battery jus die out on me 5days ago, and i havnt replace them yet, i am thinkin to change a optima battery.....by the way, my car is 2003 3.0i wif 55k.....how can ur battery die out so soon?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

BMW claims that I "didn't drive enough." Unfortunately, this is most likely true. I will be getting a 94R DLG from Autozone. Battery has 650CCA which greater than the present battery (570CCA) and sells for $140 (I'll do the easy installation).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

I just started the thread on the odyssey battery looking for feedback, particularly on fit. Cost of the battery incl shipping will be about $255 but I expect improved performance and longevity.

My generally daily driven 2005 has been cranking a little slowly of late so I looked at the battery this am. It is equipped with (and probably built similarly to) a charge/electrolyte indicator eye which should be green but is not. If your battery will not display green when charged it should be replaced. Frankly, I find it hard to believe BMW will not replace this for you under warranty. I would keep the repair order showing refusal to replace, the receipt, and go to the zone rep and, if necessary, small claims court. I'll bet you get a free battery...double or nothing?

I'm 180 miles from the nearest dlr; it's easier for me to buy one then to present the car to BMW for repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Actually, the more I think about it, the angrier I get about your treatment.

When the alternator on my 2002 Trans-am packed in I was 60 miles from the nearest dlr. Called Pontiac and gave them the option of a tow or local replacement of the alt. They said send them the bill and I was promptly reimbursed.

I think I'm going to make some calls Monday before I spring for a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep

Installed the battery (94R-DLG) and now for some points of interest. The battery is 12" long and in order for it to fit just right, one needs to remove the vertical spacer on the right side of the battery compartment. Simply slide it to your left. Otherwise, the battery is a perfect fit, including the positioning of the vent hole and the terminals.

However, and here is where I need some help, although all self installed systems (BMW alarm, V1 and GPS) and the radio worked fine, my Icelink/ipod didn't. My IL is installed via the radio. When I turn the radio to ipod mode I get the following "ice>link plus *ipod*," but no sound. The up and down arrows will momentarily bring up tracks (TR 2, TR3, etc), but no sound. How do I reset the IL/ipod, if that's what needs to be done?
Appreciate 0