ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
bojinns
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

Nuvi 680 - MSNŽ Direct Receiver / GDB 50 -Power Adapter - Doesnt Work

Has anyone had this problem with their MSNŽ Direct Receiver / GDB 50 (power adapter)?

Just purchased a Nuvi 680 w/ MSNŽ Direct Receiver / GDB 50 (power adapter). The power adapter does NOT work when plugged into the Z4 cigarette power outlet..but will work in other vehicle (such as my truck's power outlet)..I know the power outlet works fine because my cigarette lighter still works...any suggestions?

http://www.zpost.com/forums/images/smilies/iono.gif
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
bojinns
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

ok..here's the solution..and basic summary..

If you ever purchase a Garmin Nuvi with the MSNŽ Direct Receiver / GDB 50 -Power Adapter - for the cigarette lighter - then it will NOT fit in a 2007 Z4 E86 cigarette power outlet because the Garmin Adapter w MSN Receiver is too short...

My possible solutions -

1. purchase the BMW flashlight plug in to AC Adapter - which does not work - because there is no flashlight plug in located in the glove box - no workie -

2. purchase a AC adapter splitter - Y splitter - for the cigarette outlet - found at Target, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc...this will work fine
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
rworrell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Sedan

I have this same combo and I also thought it wouldn't work--the light on the MSN/power adapter wouldn't come on. So, I removed the Nuvi from the mount...and the light came on. I plugged it back in and the light went off again. I played around with it by pulling out the power adapter and plugging it back in, rotating it in the lighter socket, etc. and it finally lit up and stayed lit with the Nuvi mounted. I think it is not an easy fit (probably too short like bojinns says above), but I was able to make it work.

Note, it only worked once because it was the last road trip I took with the car because I just bought it at the end of September and then I had to store it for the winter (I'm in MN). Try rotating the adapter in the socket and see if you can get the light to come on and stay on. If not, you'll probably have to try the splitter.
Appreciate 0