meisser79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 35D

Engine sputter 35D

Hey,
I have a new to me 2015 35D 160,000 km
When I decelerate with my foot on the throttle just slightly the engine sputters, if i take my foot right off the gas, there is no problem, and when i accelerate there is no problem!

I have ordered a new fuel filter, should be here tomorrow, any other suggestions?

Thanks

JM
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Run a full diagnostic with ISTA or Foxwell NT530 to see what's wrong with your vehicle..

Then run an injector smooth running test to see if you're having injector problems. Run pumps and fuel test as well. Test your O2 sensors.. I mean, it can be several things or it can be one.

You can google or search around here on how to do those.

Also, at that mileage, did they/you knock out services to the engine (CBU, Trans & Diff oils, …
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:36 AM   #3
meisser79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions!
Im going to do all those tests when it warms up! Currently -27C out side! I think that may also have something to do with it! I did change the Fuel filter, it was original at 160,000 km!

Is there a way to test the fuel heater on the 35d?

J
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisser79 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!
Im going to do all those tests when it warms up! Currently -27C out side! I think that may also have something to do with it! I did change the Fuel filter, it was original at 160,000 km!

Is there a way to test the fuel heater on the 35d?

J
Yeah, look through ISTA. Search "Fuel Filter" and you can probably find it. Or look for the actual name of the heater on RealOEM and type that in.

Best way to find the things you want to do is to type in your VIN and search for the tests. Then write down what you wrote to find them or how you found them. Then, go connect to your vehicle. That way, you're not just sitting there at your vehicle and you can find stuff from the comfort of your home.

But I'm almost sure that if there was something wrong with your heater the vehicle would probably tell you or you'd get a CEL. Also, remember that the diesel that's not used by the injectors returns back to the tank, therefore heating it up too.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:21 AM   #5
meisser79
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I did a whole series of tests, the O2 sensor before the CAT has sooting, so I'm going to clean that out. But the major thing is the Swirl Flaps are not working! They are stuck at 0! I couldn't even get through a full test. Im going to research if that may have something to do with it!

Thanks for your help!

J
Appreciate 0