ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
New info (or speculation) on next z4

http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/22/ne...uture-z2-also/
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

What the heck is in December? Previously they said it would debut at the LA Auto Show - when it didn't, I figured NAIAS in Detroit or the Chicago show would be the venue. Is there a major auto show next month?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

The speculation on the possible next Z4M Coupe sounds sweet! It'd be a nice surprise if anything, I figured that with a hardtop roadster they might not bother to produce another Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

the new look is very mature...i like it a lot! If BMW want to put more emphasis on their coupes they should start by designing the coupe first and then making a roadster out of that instead of vice versa.....but all the better for roadster purists who don't want simply a coupe with a chopped roof a la nissan Z, audi tt.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1701 View Post
the new look is very mature...i like it a lot! If BMW want to put more emphasis on their coupes they should start by designing the coupe first and then making a roadster out of that instead of vice versa.....but all the better for roadster purists who don't want simply a coupe with a chopped roof a la nissan Z, audi tt.
Structurally, we (both roadster and coupe owners) are much better off that it designed as a roadster first. Stylewise, they should be able to consider both cases when they do the original design so that neither looks like an afterthought.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
What the heck is in December? Previously they said it would debut at the LA Auto Show - when it didn't, I figured NAIAS in Detroit or the Chicago show would be the venue. Is there a major auto show next month?
Where is it written that a car has to be unveiled at an auto show? If BMW is ready now to start production, why wait for a show in February? That would be potentially a loss of sales.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
Where is it written that a car has to be unveiled at an auto show? If BMW is ready now to start production, why wait for a show in February? That would be potentially a loss of sales.
Marketing likes to make a big splash with their new car intros, and get as much free press as they can, but they would usually choose a major auto show that corresponds with their production schedule and introduction date, not the other way around. I think that this was merely expressing disappointment that the net rumors of the new Z being shown at the LA auto show turned out to be false (what a surprise...)

I would expect that since the new Z is being built in Germany that it would go on sale in the EU prior to the US. That would mean that we would see it first in one of the major European shows before we would see it here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
I would expect that since the new Z is being built in Germany that it would go on sale in the EU prior to the US. That would mean that we would see it first in one of the major European shows before we would see it here.
I think the first Z4 debuted at the Chicago Auto Show, back in the day. The US remains the biggest market for them. The most likely alternative venue I can think of for market appeal would be in the UK, and they've already had their show.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRick View Post
Marketing likes to make a big splash with their new car intros, and get as much free press as they can, but they would usually choose a major auto show that corresponds with their production schedule and introduction date, not the other way around. I think that this was merely expressing disappointment that the net rumors of the new Z being shown at the LA auto show turned out to be false (what a surprise...)

The new Z4 is ready for production and was supposed to be unveiled at the L.A. Auto Show but a snafu with the registration of the term "sDrive" caused the unveiling to be scrapped in Los Angeles. There is no reasons for BMW at this point to wait for a big auto show to unveil it and risk losing sales while they wait for their free press.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0