ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

335i or Z4 M?

Hi, I'm in the market for a slightly used 335i or Z4 M series, and am having a hard time deciding which is a better driving experience. I know the 3 has 4 seats, but I'm just worried about Comfort, Handling, Speed, Potential/mods and the overall driving experience.

I am posting this in both the Z4 and 335i sections to avoid bias, but your opinions and PROS/CONS would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Should probably start HERE.

I think a direction this question should go is... for those people who have these cars (335i or Z4M), who regrets not going for the other and why?

Obviously, I'd never think twice about this... I have the perfect car (for me).
      12-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Should probably start HERE.

I think a direction this question should go is... for those people who have these cars (335i or Z4M), who regrets not going for the other and why?

Obviously, I'd never think twice about this... I have the perfect car (for me).
i saw that thread and it looked like it tailed off into ADD/ego induced bickering...

thank you though, i agree the most valuable imput will be by those who own both
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

I was in the same dilemma when I was deciding what to get.

I drove the 335i was impressed by the power but upset by how boring it was to drive and the sound was also way too soft.

So then I was given a 135i to drive handling was better than 335i and it felt alot faster but not entertaining.

Then BMW got me an AC Schnitzer 335i no engine tweaks just exhaust, body kit and suspension. It was alot better over the 335i but not as precise as the 135i. This was due to the electric steering setup compared to the hydraulic setup in the 135i. The AC 335i sounded much better due to exhaust so I was impressed but then the suspension still too soft for me to enjoy this car around B roads and on the track.

So after all that I ended up with the ///M Coupe due to its supercar performance, race car handling and stylish design.

I have just traveled 700kms today and the car was so relaxed and easy to drive but when I put foot and was in the corners it just made me smile.

So I have no complaints but my girlfried drove the car today for 200kms and she said:

"WoW this car is powerful"
"Steering wheel is too thick"
"Handling is too precise"
"Gear changes are hard"
"Clutch is hard"
"I feel like I am driving a Ferrari" {Not that she has driven one}

So my response to the above was "That is why it is only driven by Spartans"

Check my post out http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186087
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Don't drive a Cayman S if you think the Z4M's clutch is hard...
      12-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Hi, I own a z4 m coupe, this summer i was at the performance center for homecoming and bmw had 335's for us to drive on two of their 5 track areas. This means I didnt spend ALOT of time in these cars, but got to drive them pretty hard. My thoughts were that they were nice, but I liked the raw feel of my m coupe more. The 335 was softer, it felt like a capable car, and I'd probably want one if I needed the extra seating, and softer ride.

I love my car, its not as practical as others, the suspension is rough and you feel every bump. With such low production numbers the amount of aftermarket parts available is limited.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

I do not think that you can compare these 2 cars. What are you looking for? If you want a 2-seater that is a proper no compromise sports car then it has to be the Z4M Coupe. If you want a touring car that is comfy, can seat 4, turns like the Titanic, and has a big trunk then you want a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
I do not think that you can compare these 2 cars. What are you looking for? If you want a 2-seater that is a proper no compromise sports car then it has to be the Z4M Coupe. If you want a touring car that is comfy, can seat 4, turns like the Titanic, and has a big trunk then you want a 335i.
agreed... two wonderful cars with very different functions and personalities.
both fast, both beautiful, both have their pluses and minuses.... i've driven both.... for me there is no choice, Z4M... but i only need two seats. if i had kids, i would be very happy driving the 335 too. luckily, i have no kids.... yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
BZZZE
Evil Clown
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4 Roadster

My gf has a loaded 2008 328i coupe incl. sport package and I have driven it a quite a lot. I have also driven the 335i a bit in both coupe and sedan. While the 328i has nowhere near the power of the 335i, the handling and ride are very similiar. I have nothing bad to say about the 3 series but it pales compared to the M in handling and driving experience as a sports care.

The e90post admin has bombarded me with pics and videos of the new 2009 Z4. Seems that one could have the 335i luxury and performance in an even more stylish 2 seat package than the 335i. I would have to say I do love the new Z4 lines. No coupe apparently but it may be hard for me to resist a new V8 powered Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If you want a car with a back seat and a more forgiving suspension get the 335i. If you want a high-revving I6 with 4 tires on it, and a place to sit, get the Z4MC, but just to warn you, you'll feel every bump in the road...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
izzy
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If you want a car with a back seat and a more forgiving suspension get the 335i. If you want a high-revving I6 with 4 tires on it, and a place to sit, get the Z4MC, but just to warn you, you'll feel every bump in the road...
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

I realize they are two different types of cars, but i like aspects of each car.

how comfortable is the Z4M? i broke my back a few years back so i have lower back problems, one of the big issues.

Handling is a HUGE deal, but it seems like it depends on who you ask... i have seen reviews where the Z4M is bigging thrashed for having dissapointing handling, where the 335i has suprisingly good handling...and vice versa.

As for power, i come from a backround in muscle cars, so i am a huge fan of torque, but im not crazy about dealing with the issues w/ the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post

how comfortable is the Z4M? i broke my back a few years back so i have lower back problems, one of the big issues.

Handling is a HUGE deal, but it seems like it depends on who you ask... i have seen reviews where the Z4M is bigging thrashed for having dissapointing handling, where the 335i has suprisingly good handling...and vice versa.

As for power, i come from a backround in muscle cars, so i am a huge fan of torque, but im not crazy about dealing with the issues w/ the turbos.
The Z4M Coupe turns on a dime. Automotive journalists think it understeers because they go into turns too fast. Remember - good brakes and braking before the corner results in good turns and good lap times.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
The Z4M Coupe turns on a dime. Automotive journalists think it understeers because they go into turns too fast. Remember - good brakes and braking before the corner results in good turns and good lap times.
Exactly - this car likes a "slow in/fast out" cornering style. Brake early, get back on the gas early. That is, until you align the car properly and dial in more camber up front, then it's much more tossable and can enter corners much faster. Either way...unless you're used to driving a GT3 RSR, there's nothing "disappointing" about the Z4M's handling, if you're driving it right.
      12-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:

i've been on 10 hour straight rides in mine... no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
rcube
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Quote:

oh torque fan... do you like them high or low? The power is pretty linear until you hit like 5k+, then it jumps a level. 335i will have alot more everyday torque.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #17
marcus1701
up all night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0si, alpine white, auto, nav

obviously the Z4 for looks...duh, but if you're worried about comfort and luxury the Z4 isn't exactly the best at it. You will be different though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

The z4m is still pretty torque throughout the rpm but then the 335 is always torque. However all my 335 friends and E46 M3 friends are in love with my car. In term of fun factors 335 can not compare to z4m. Honestly i was deciding between M5 and my roadster and after i drove both the roadster was the obvious choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
The seats are comfortable, but as others have said you will feel every single bump and crack in the road. I wouldn't recommend the car for someone with back problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #20
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcube View Post
oh torque fan... do you like them high or low? The power is pretty linear until you hit like 5k+, then it jumps a level. 335i will have alot more everyday torque.
i love the everyday torque that you can dig into and really feel the G's..

i went and test drove the E92 M3, and remember thinking it didnt have the umphf that you need to really plant yourself in the seat.

i love the styling of both cars, and i am having a hard time trying to justify getting the 335i when all i hear is how engaging the driving expirience is.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #21
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
i love the everyday torque that you can dig into and really feel the G's..

i went and test drove the E92 M3, and remember thinking it didnt have the umphf that you need to really plant yourself in the seat.

i love the styling of both cars, and i am having a hard time trying to justify getting the 335i when all i hear is how engaging the driving expirience is.

The 335i is a great everyday car for the masses. It's practical and fun to drive, and would be an enjoyable car to own. The downside is it's common in comparison, and the motor lacks upper end torque (it drops 100 lb-ft in the last 1500 rpms!). At anything over 3500 rpms, the Z4M is producing more torque to the pavement, which is why the Z4M is faster (barely). Nonetheless, these cars are very different in driving feel. For sure the Z4M is more fun to drive. Also, like any car, the ride comfort can be improved. A set of KW V3 coilovers will not only make the car more compliant (softer) over bumps, but will also improve handling and cornering. Personally I find the OEM ride quality on my Z4M better than the 135i I drove all summer with its runflats. In consideration to that, I'm not looking to replace my suspension. I'd rather spend the same money on a shorter final gear so there's even more of an acceleration gap between it and cars like the performance car wannabe 335i.
      12-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #22
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

335i.

With a tune or piggyback you will see gains of 60+ whp & 90 ft/lb of torque.
Easily keeping up with the new V8 M3's for way less.
Appreciate 0