ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

This is for those who think z4m are slow

Just to cheer u guys up a bit man

Our cars isn't slow
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Also shows the value of traction control.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks like a good time. All the cars sound great as well.
      12-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

1. Driver Skill
2. Handling
3. Horsepower

They're all part of the equation. It's only when you have skilled drivers that you see the real personality of the cars. Great vid, thanks for posting.
      12-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Would like to that same crew on a dry track

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Would like to that same crew on a dry track
+1 (and all on the same tire to level the playing field)
      12-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep

i just wanted all of us to know that our cars is still way ahead of similiar sports cars in our class. Wat was especially impressive was that the porsche cayman s which is a lot more expensive than our cars could not keep up. This video made my day
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Here's a story from my latest track experience:

A couple of weeks ago I went to willow springs with a friend who drives a 95 M3 fully track modified. He estimates the horsepower at about 280 to 290. This guy is a fantastic driver. We were on the track with the experienced group. All "bad asses" driving huge horsepower monsters like Corvettes, Vipers, GT3s, etc.

On the street, I'm sure these guys regularly impress the females with all the speed and power.

On the track, however, it suddenly turned into a major crybaby fest. As I rode around as a passenger, we lapped these guys and started lapping them again when the session ended. Afterwards, they all complained about how my buddy was "pushing" too hard. He answered that they had twice the horsepower he did.

If you bought your Z4 M because you wanted a straight line dragster, you bought the wrong car. My recommendation (from personal experience) is not to drag race (i.e. street race) any big V-8 muscle cars. Things will go badly.

On the other hand, take your MC or MR to the track, and in skilled hands, few cars will be able to keep up. It's a beautiful thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHEORY View Post
Here's a story from my latest track experience:

A couple of weeks ago I went to willow springs with a friend who drives a 95 M3 fully track modified. He estimates the horsepower at about 280 to 290. This guy is a fantastic driver. We were on the track with the experienced group. All "bad asses" driving huge horsepower monsters like Corvettes, Vipers, GT3s, etc.

On the street, I'm sure these guys regularly impress the females with all the speed and power.

On the track, however, it suddenly turned into a major crybaby fest. As I rode around as a passenger, we lapped these guys and started lapping them again when the session ended. Afterwards, they all complained about how my buddy was "pushing" too hard. He answered that they had twice the horsepower he did.

If you bought your Z4 M because you wanted a straight line dragster, you bought the wrong car. My recommendation (from personal experience) is not to drag race (i.e. street race) any big V-8 muscle cars. Things will go badly.

On the other hand, take your MC or MR to the track, and in skilled hands, few cars will be able to keep up. It's a beautiful thing.
Sure. That just plays into my theory that people want more power so they can tap into it in a more restrained fashion (ie, not driving at ten tenths). In affect, they're using about the same power as stock, but getting it without having to redline every gear. In the video I'm sure you noticed those guys were wringing the throttle all the way (and in the wet!). That's where the real power is. In addition, when you increase the power, the new max horsepower figure (whether estimated or proven via dyno) seems to be lazer etched into your brain, so there's a pride/smile factor that goes along with some spirited driving, even if you barely exceed the stock performance envelop.
      01-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

MTHEORY :
Where did you get your m stripes? That is the sickest thing I have ever seen in my life. I need them now.
      01-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
MTHEORY :
Where did you get your m stripes? That is the sickest thing I have ever seen in my life. I need them now.
Glad you like it. I still get major attention on the street. Here's the original post, it should answer most questions.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...614&highlight=
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I don't speak Japanese, but it sure looked like the Cayman was having a terrible time trying to hold a line in the turns. Strange for a mid-engine design.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
I don't speak Japanese, but it sure looked like the Cayman was having a terrible time trying to hold a line in the turns. Strange for a mid-engine design.
might be the tires on the car isnt so good in wet condition
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
jamboMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MR sold *sniff sniff*

Very cool video, thanks for sharing There was nothing in it between the other three cars, looks like they all had fun
Appreciate 0