Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-26-2022, 02:24 AM   #1
Inquisitor
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i

Garage List
2015 Bmw 320i  [0.00]
what should I look for when buying an m4 with over 50k miles

What are some common areas of concern to look for in an m4 with higher miles
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 03:21 AM   #2
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
Everything is asked and answered between these two threads:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1350142

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364376

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
Gibplayer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow F80 M3

Quote:
My initial thought would be to check if the differential fluid has been replaced. Then I would check on brake fluid and when the last oil change occurred. Any used M car should also go through a thorough PPI with a BMW dealer or reputable second party shop. I went with my local BMW dealer for a PPI ($200) because they run the car through their Certified Pre-Owned 100 point inspection.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
Inquisitor
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 Bmw 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibplayer View Post
My initial thought would be to check if the differential fluid has been replaced. Then I would check on brake fluid and when the last oil change occurred. Any used M car should also go through a thorough PPI with a BMW dealer or reputable second party shop. I went with my local BMW dealer for a PPI ($200) because they run the car through their Certified Pre-Owned 100 point inspection.
Only 200 ? I had a car shop in Arizona quoting me 390 becaue they do an inspection and a diagnostic
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

TractionControlDelete gave you the spoon of goodies. Those links give tons of info on the technical gotchas.

I consider myself a car shopper in the category of "quite good" since I basically grew up on a car lot which my father was half owner. When I go looking I usually see 10 cars across a 5 day Mon-Fri shot.

Here's a few things to lead you to a good M-car:
- Try to shop at BMW dealers first, but other top brand dealerships can have a excellent trade ins too.
- At the BMW dealer ask for a copy of the service records, and check what was done according to the maintenance schedule. A car sold by the dealer that maintained it the whole time, those are usually gems.
- CPO is even better, because you can get some coverage if things break.

If you start off with the idea that a whole bunch of stuff could be wrong then you'll just freak yourself out while shopping, like hearing noises that aren't problems… If you're buying a car that you can see was properly maintained and well cared for them you don't have to worry as much.
      12-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
Gibplayer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow F80 M3

Quote:
Only 200 ? I had a car shop in Arizona quoting me 390 because they do an inspection and a diagnostic
Yea, at the time I thought $200 was pricey but I guess not. The issues they found saved me over 7k in work. I was able to get the repairs done included with the car purchase. Money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Inquisitor
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 Bmw 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
TractionControlDelete gave you the spoon of goodies. Those links give tons of info on the technical gotchas.

I consider myself a car shopper in the category of "quite good" since I basically grew up on a car lot which my father was half owner. When I go looking I usually see 10 cars across a 5 day Mon-Fri shot.

- Try to shop at BMW dealers first, but other top brand dealerships can have a excellent trade ins too.
- At the BMW dealer ask for a copy of the service records, and check what was done according to the maintenance schedule. A car sold by the dealer that maintained it the whole time, those are usually gems.

If you start off with the idea that a whole bunch of stuff could be wrong then you'll just freak yourself out while shopping, like hearing noises that aren't problems… If you're buying a car that you can see was properly maintained and well cared for them you don't have to worry as much.
Thanks for that I really appreciate the information.I am talking to a dealer right now about extended powertrain warranties and they're quoting me for 4 thousand right now.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Thanks for that I really appreciate the information.I am talking to a dealer right now about extended powertrain warranties and they're quoting me for 4 thousand right now.
I don't buy the extra warranties. With resources like BimmerPost I can diagnose and DIY just about everything. I love to tune and get all the pow pow out, but I know "I'm the warranty".

$4K would go a long way towards PPF or a Hub Fix, or wheels/tires and tune.