Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
Rusticm3
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Charge Cooler Coolant 'Potential' Issue...

Ok so I might just be being paranoid here but want to get on top of any potential issues. Checked the charge cooler coolant tank and it was really low, car drives fine and charge cooler is always cool. Not had any warnings etc and don't know how long it could of been maybe losing coolant for.

So I topped up the coolant to max. Drove the car pushed it hard at times and over a few days it dropped about 2 steps. A few more days past and its dropped another step. After a lot of googling the obvious cause would be an internal leak in the charge cooler. Just want to add there are no fluids on the floor.

I put a camera in the sensor port and got the following images after an hours drive...

I couldn't make any conclusions from this as when I compare it too other peoples images its nothing like them they either a stream of yellow crap in the J pipe or white dry stain. I just seem to have oily residue which im not sure if its just oil mist from engine breather and the turbos.

I then ended up taking the charge cooler off to get a better look and got the following images. This was another day so results were different...

I have also pressure tested the system at 15 psi and it did lose some but very slowly. I'd say 10 - 15 mins and lost about 2 1-2 psi.

I approached this expecting to find obvious signs of a leak and was happy to buy a new charge cooler etc but now I don't know if I'd be wasting money I could spend elsewhere. I feel like there is a leak but im no seeing any obvious signs unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I've read that it can be common for levels to drop then stabilise? don't know how true that is so the way I see it these are my options;

Carry on driving as normal without topping up and see if it empty's the tank or just sits at a low level

Wait for nice dry day remove front bumper and re pressurise the system and look over front radiator for any further signs

Take a gamble and buy a new charge cooler fit it and keep fingers crossed

Be interested in opinions
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

If it's leaking I would think the gamble is to continue driving it without replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:49 PM   #3
Rusticm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
If it's leaking I would think the gamble is to continue driving it without replacing it.
That's the point I'm not sure that it is...

After more research and seeing the state of peoples inlets when a cooler is leaking compared to mine I'm starting to thing that's not the case. I've not long bought the car and think theres an element of paranoia. It's strange that pressure drops on a test though. I've read about many people that have a fluctuating coolant level so I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. One job on the cards next weekend is to drop the under trays and oil cooler to clean out any debris collected there. I'll re-pressurise the system and check the heat exchanger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I replaced mine with a Wagner unit after the level kept dropping, now it stays the same everytime I check it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

It’s a closed system right? If your not finding, and it seems you’ve torn into it in detail, there is only 1 other place for it to seep into. And that’s bad.
      04-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by phefner View Post
It’s a closed system right? If your not finding, and it seems you’ve torn into it in detail, there is only 1 other place for it to seep into. And that’s bad.
which is?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:03 PM   #7
phefner
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340, F80 M3

From what I’ve read, Intake manifold is where this gets ugly. Wish I could offer something else.
      04-22-2023, 10:11 PM   #8
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
which is?
You could be getting water injection, and not the kind designed by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:14 AM   #9
Rusticm3
Rep

Well I can easily rule that out when I replace the j pipe. I’ll remove the throttle body and get a camera into the intakes. I’m fairly confident I won’t find any signs in there. My j pipe is too clean to suggest it’s coming into the engine. When you compare it to the pictures on the thread with bad yellow staining in the inlets their j pipe is also the same. Also their tanks seem to be emptying over 1-2 days.

I’ve just check levels cold for the first time since buying the car;

Main coolant below min - sits higher warm

Charge cooler coolant showing 3 notches - which it was yesterday warm.

The only thing I feel I can do now is take off the front bumper pressurise both systems and visually inspect over both systems for leaks.

I wish I was just getting a pool on the floor or obvious signs of coolant in the intake but I’m not.

I’ve also not had the car long enough really so maybe these levels are what it’s happy sitting at. Time will tell.

I don’t feel there’s a danger of anything bad happening. Just want to rule out the start of something and get on top of it.
Appreciate 0