BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

ICE for next gen M3 M4

I shamelessly copied this post from another sub forum because I am not allowed to post there. I thought it is not G80/82 specific, and some others "in my situation" would enjoy the post. harperium

"Perhaps he's seen the disaster that is the new AMG C63S.

Next-Gen BMW M3 And M4 May Not Go Electric After All

https://carbuzz.com/news/next-gen-bm...tric-after-all

They may go electric eventually, but there's a chance a combustion engine may power the next generation.

JUL. 19, 2023

BMW M representatives have previously suggested the next generation M3 and M4 will be pure electric vehicles, but according to M CEO Frank van Meel, a decision is yet to be made.

Speaking to Australia's Drive, van Meel said that while an all-electric M3/M4 is still under consideration, BMW M would only introduce such a thing if it was a significant improvement over the existing models. "Well, the logic is quite easy. The next [M3 and M4] has to be better than the current one. And if that can be done in an electric way, then probably it will go electric," he said.

"If not, we will stay with [the] combustion engine. It's pretty easy. But, of course, we're trying to make that happen as pure electric. Don't expect an electric version to be sold alongside an ICE-powered variant or a plug-in hybrid model. "Well, I don't think all three. That will be too far, said van Meel.

"Actually, we would like to offer just one. But you never know," he added."
      07-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree with Harperium's synopsis at the top. Demand for the new C63 is through the floor. Beyond that, it's getting absolutely trashed in the early reviews. BMW has the benefit of watching the fire burn at MB, and has the opportunity to adjust course. It will be interesting to see how they adjust. Recall, though, that BMW already confirmed the M2 is the last generation to have a manual transmission.

Granted, MB doesn't have a choice for some of this. Countries all over the world are regulating ICE out of existence, for better or worse.
      07-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #3
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

VW has scaled back EV production for the UK market due to ‘strong customer resistance’ towards EV’s.

Germany is lodging an exception with the EU ban of 2035 for ICE vehicles, arguing for ICE cars to be allowed to run on synthetic fuels.

There will be widespread debate that EV’s are the future, but the pragmatic implications of this when our energy needs, (at least in Europe) are primarily from fossil fuels, may necessitate exploring a new ideology/approach - we’re also not touching Russian oil because, well, they did that bad thing.

As an enthusiast, synthetic fuels can’t get here sooner. Interesting times ahead.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

The best thing that BMW can do is to stay fully fuelled. That will make them stick out on the market when everyone else go electric. Even heavier M-cars is going the wrong way, at least for me who's a purist. It has already gone the wrong way with the G series.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
One can't underestimate the effects of ESG on automotive manufacturing. While our cars may run on petro or electric, car manufacturing runs on money.

Kind of a frightening article.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/441...cturing-sector
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2058.50
      07-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

It's going to be fully electric. The 4 motor prototype running around is the next m3 drivetrain.

It will not be an insanely heavy hybrid like the c63.

No point in having false hope. There is no way, at all, that it will be ice.

For the record, I really dislike the thought of an electric m3, but legislation all over the world makes an ice m3 a complete nonstarter

From a non political and purely technical standpoint, understand that California banning gas engines for 2035 is utterly insane, yet it doesn't stop politicians. Engineers don't drive these decisions, so do not expect any logic to prevail whatsoever. Gas will be banned and then rolling blackouts will become a normal, common occurrence. End of story.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 07-20-2023 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0