BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Is it possible to overtighten strut mount nut?

I'm trying to hunt down a vibration I'm getting at highway speeds in my '11 128i.
I recently installed the M3 control arm kit, bilstein B8's, H&R lowering springs, new tie rods, new end links, and the strut mounts are only about a year old.

While installing the new front stunts, I unfortunately didn't have the correct size strut socket, you know the one with the cutout in the side to allow an allen key to keep the strut from spinning.

TL;DR, I had to use an impact gun on the strut to strut top mount nut. I tried to be "gentle" with it.
I'm wondering if my vibration could be caused by binding of the strut mount?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:06 PM   #2
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

Did you torque the control arms with the suspension raised up to ride height or was it at full droop? As long as you didn’t break it when you torqued it I don’t think this is your issue.
Appreciate 1
GabeMG7.50
      09-10-2023, 06:19 PM   #3
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
Did you torque the control arms with the suspension raised up to ride height or was it at full droop?
As long as you didn’t break it when you torqued it I don’t think this is your issue.
Torqued all suspension components under load, marked with paint pen to ensure I didn’t miss anything.

I was thinking the same as you about the strut mounts torquing not being an issue.
Appreciate 0