BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
yacoub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G

How long until DCT trans makes its way to non-M cars?

Would be totally stoked to see a 135i with the DCT trans. I don't want the -tronic automatic but I also don't want a manual.
I'd even settle for the larger 335i w/ that transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

maybe in 2 more generations, most likely, never
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
yacoub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G

More like two to three model years. My asking wasn't so much looking for a date as it was expressing my disappointment that it isn't available yet.
BMW themselves have stated that manual transmissions are becoming increasingly rare sales in Europe and the US is the last hold-out that, especially with the dollar's weakness, is increasingly less significant and not worth the effort and cost of producing an additional drivetrain combo for them. Automatics are par for the course for anyone who's not an enthusiast.
People who want performance that matches (and often exceeds) that of a manual will buy the DCT. Many manual drivers are simply performance enthusiasts who would also prefer a DCT as well, were it available.
So the demand is there, it's just a matter of making sure the 135i doesn't blow away the 335i and in turn match the M3, or else they'll lose some sales for each. This is one reason we might not see the DCT spread across the BMW line-up when small cars like the 135i come with such a potent engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

I'd guess there's a very good chance that we'll see the DCT propagate in the non-M BMW lineup within 5 years time. And as you say, this is likely to usher the demise of the standard 3 pedal layout for the majority of the lineup except for possibly the very low end models...

I've always preferred manual gearboxes for the direct involvement and the control I get vs the mind-numbing slushbox with power-robbing torque converter setups, but the DCT promises to give superfast shifts, intimate man-machine involvement and driver control without the power-sapping torque converter... All while being able to handle bumper to bumper traffic just like a regular automatic...

Another comforting thing for us manual gearbox enthusiasts and track junkies is that looking at professional racecar championship leagues like F1, WRC, etc. all have moved towards these types of trannies, and you don't hear from their drivers any laments over the loss of the clutch pedal...

Only time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

They made e46 non-M smg cars before, but they were so rare.
      04-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd have probably got a DCT if one were available for the 135i. Maybe when I'm ready to trade up again in 3-4 years they'll be available on the lower end cars.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
They made e46 non-M smg cars before, but they were so rare.
I am only aware of the Z4 being made with the SMG (and it's SMG 1, not the SMGII that is used in the E46 M3). The original SMG was available in the E36 M3. So you get the outdated version of the technology about 2 generations later.

BMW will not be putting M-DCT into any non-M cars soon, they are content with the steptronic as are the majority of their customers.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
I am only aware of the Z4 being made with the SMG (and it's SMG 1, not the SMGII that is used in the E46 M3).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=547105 :wink:
      04-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
bimmernet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335Ci

I really enjoyed the SMG in non-M cars!

My first exposure to SMG in a non-M cars was at the BMW Performance Center when I was there for a special sales training called the "Launch Academy". I've been in professional sales since 1983 and was in car sales 3 out of my total 4 year career with cars selling BMW's on the Internet for a large dealeship. It was the best sales training I ever experienced and by far the most fun.

Among other things we had on our agendas was the "Buffet" where we rotated though all the BMW's we wanted to drive on the big road course with the only rule being you could not turn off the DSC. Driving a 760 V12 at full tilt boogie was the most surprising, the M3's were the most exhilarating and the E62 545i was actually a little quicker than the E39 M5; the E62 M5 was about 6 months away at that time. The secret of the 545i was it had SMG! It was available on 325i, 330i (not ZHP), 530 & 545 and both Z4's. Ironically the Z4 had been available with it but the MZ4 never did because the transmissions were different. I forget which was which but the M3's used the same transmissions; Manual or SMG actuation. The Non-M SMG used a simpler version without DriveLogic with it's 5 Auto and 6 Manual shift programs. Non M SMG had either Manual or Auto and Sport or Standard shift intensity.

One training day we drove in a neat event, "Catch me if you can!" driving around the skidpad and it's perimeter ring with changes and cone set-ups, wet track transitioning on and off the outer ring. It was really cool getting every possible type of car control technique I could think of. The idea was starting 2 cars at opposite points on the track and whomever caught and closed in timing on the other car stayed in their car and the next driver got their shot. I'm proud to say I got in the first round and never surrendered my car. The cars? Z4 3.0i with SMG. I was so impressed with the Z4 3.0i with SMG, I got one within a week after returning from Training.

The only issue I ever had, and it was a problem on either M or non-M SMG's, is something I called the "Stutter". If you didn't have a smooth tip-in on your throttle it would set up an out of phase bucking that looked like someone learning to drive a manual and not engaging the clutch anything like smooth. The only cure was to back off and let it get itself collected and smoothed out. If someone didn't know about the problem and they went out in stop and go traffic, they could come back with a sprained neck and a bad attitude like my bride experienced just once, otherwise non-SMG rocked!

The paddles on the 135i Steptronic are identical to the non-M SMG which I liked as well as the M version I had in my '05 M3. Their advantage over the M versions are that either paddle can shift up (pull back) or down (push forward) vs. M's that the Left is for Downshifts only and the Right for Upshift only.

Bimmernet
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

If SMG would have been available on the 135I I would have taken it. Ive driven E46 M3 with and without SMG. Ive enjoyed both. I would like to buy an SMG car at some point just to try. If SMG doesnt do it for me Ill go back to the regular tranny
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

If DCT was available I would have ordered it on my 135. I think they will always have row your own because the US enthusiast market prefers it.

I figure it'll take at least 3 to 4 years to trickle into anything other than an M car.
Appreciate 0