BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
BMW=BeggingMantoWife
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Black 128i convertible

ED driving weather in early November 08?

Help!
I just got informed by my employer that my planned ED delivery date of September 29th must now be moved to the first week in November!

I am now concerned about driving a 128i convertible through the alps into Italy later in the year.

I'd like to have some reasonable expectation of some top-down weather conditions, ......otherwise I think I am forced to delay my ED trip/purchase until Spring of 09

For those who have been to AUST/SWLD/N ITALY, can you tell me if a mid Fall 08 (1st wk in Nov) trip is worth risking or I am better off waiting until early April 09 for better weather in order to make this "once in a lifetime" trip.

I am in no real hurry to get the car, other than my 1Addict addiction and, anyway, it would allow me more time to finish the "begging" I am still doing to convince my wife:wub: we "need" this car:eyebulge:....hence my name.
Thanks for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

By all means wait. If this is, as you say, a once in a lifetime chance to drive a convertible through Italy with the top down it's worth waiting for. November can already have early snow, sleet and ice in Europe, but then so can April, so you are in for quite a wait (May is safer). I am going in the first week of October when the roads will be snow and tourist free.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW=BeggingMantoWife View Post
it would allow me more time to finish the "begging" I am still doing to convince my wife:wub: we "need" this car:eyebulge:....hence my name.
See this is why I made my wife agree to keeping our finances completely separate before we tied the knot. We each put an equal amount into a joint checking account each month to cover joint bills and expense and the rest we keep in separate accounts that we can use however we please. If I want to buy a $45K car that's my choice. No begging required.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I live in Northern Italy and November can be sunny and 65 or wet/cold with snow/ice in the mountains that would be crossed on the major roads. If you stick to the highways, they tend to keep those cleaned pretty well but off of those it can be dicey when weather gets bad. Some roads close altogether from November through March/April depending upon weather. If nothing else, head towards Garmisch from Munich (about an hour away with most being Autobahn) and enjoy the Bavarian Alps or south to Salzburg. Despite the possibility for there to be no good driving, you will be in a great area to sight see. Good luck with your ED...there really needs to be a better name for that...though Bob Dole would probably disagree.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Be sure to review the stated limits on using your car with its stock tires in winter driving conditions. These are discussed both in the ED wiki at bimmerfest.com and also on the BMW NA website. (The discussion relates primarily to Germany but hints that you are accepting liability and voiding of insurance elsewhere IF you end up having an wx-related accident and are judged to be using tires inappropriate for the season).

And as Mike states, the complex weather systems of Europe and the rapid progression of the lows during the winter months combine to make November weather unpredictable, with some storms assured. Also, the wx changes much faster over there than we're accustomed to in the Lower 48. I also agree with Mike that April is no better/worse than November.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

truffle season...yum!!
Appreciate 0