BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What color combo should I get?
SGM/Savanna Beige/Gray Poplar 14 14.43%
SGM/Black/Gray Poplar or Aluminum 39 40.21%
Monaco/Lemon/Aluminum 44 45.36%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

05-24-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

About to order for production...must decide! SGM vs Monaco

Hey guys...this is my second post, and I first want to thank you all for all the insight you've provided me thus-far through my browsing and searching these forums...You really know your stuff!

As you all know, picking the 135i as your new car is the easy part...but picking the color couldn't be more difficult! So many awesome color combos.

I'm about to place my order for a 135i coupe here in the next day or two, and the car is about to go right into production, so I need to make a decision, and fast.

I originally wanted to get the Montego color...after looking at it in person and pondering a bit, I thought it was too flashy. Then I went to wanting to get AW with Coral...again, after thinking about it...too flashy.

I've narrowed down my selection to the three following combos:
SGM/Savanna Beige/Gray Poplar
SGM/Black/Aluminum or Gray Poplar
Monaco/Lemon/Aluminum

To me, the SGM is just stunning and classic, but it's hard to decide on a good complimentary interior. I first thought Coral would be great, but again...might be too flashy and overbearing after a while. Black is ideal, but I'm not sure if it's going to burn me during the summertime in Tucson's 110 degree heat. Savanna beige would be nice too, but I haven't seen or heard a lot about it with the SGM.

The monaco blue is a pretty good color, but what makes it awesome is the contrast with the lemon interior. This combo together is my absolute favorite. Thing is, last car I've owned for 5 years is a dark blue as well, and I'm not sure if I want another dark blue car or not.

So opinions, sexy pictures to sway me one way or the other, and votes are appreciated :smile:

Current owners of these colors/combos: please let me know your initial likes/dislikes that you've had thus far.

PS...my selected options are as follow:
135i with Manual trans
Premium Pkg
Sport Pkg
Navigation
iPod/USB
Premium HiFi sound

...I'm gettin antsy baby oooooooooooh yeaaaaaaaaah :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Originally I's gonna get BSM + Coral Red, but after seeing the SGM I changed my mind. SGM is freaking nice! I've a BSM+Coral Red Z4 and the red hold up very well. Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Montego is too flashy? Really? I picked that color because I thought it isn't too flashy...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the quick initial feedback, guys!

akak - so did you end up ordering the SGM with Coral? what trim did you decide on? any pics yet?

tonytigerking - to me, it's really "bright" and sporty, which isn't bad at all! I'm just trying to shoot for a more elegant, subdued look I guess
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Go with Monaco. It is fairly rare, and looks elegant too. And Blue is my favorite color.:thumbup:
Oh... and I am not sure Aluminum trim would really go with the elegant look you are going for....:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

tonytigerking - I know what you mean...see I'm tryin to walk a fine line here between elegant and sporty...that's why I like the SGM, and also why I'm diggin the aluminum trim with the Lemon in the Monaco... I saw the gloss-black trim at the dealer today, and agree with others that it's too sparkly for my taste (the salesman couldn't really see it, but I definitely could see the glitter)...I guess Gray Poplar would look fine with the Lemon as well...?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Gray Polar could work. Are you trying to go classy outside and sporty inside? It is too bad you live in such a hot location, otherwise coral plus aluminum might work...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Ya, I'm trying to keep the overall scheme classy...with the aluminum, I can add a minimal amount of flare to still keep it kind of fun.

How are people liking the SGM/Coral combo? To me, Coral is really neat, but could get old quite quickly. Having this car for years, I could see myself potentially getting tired of the red interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #9
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

I've also heard Lemon can be hard to maintain and clean...is this true? I'm kind of a neat freak, and with such a special car, I'm going to be pampering it as needed, so I'm curious if certain interior colors are easier and more manageable than others?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Montego135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Seems to me that if the Monaco/Lemon combo is what really floats it for you--do it! And if you feel the coral would wear on you after awhile, keep in mind that you are going to have the car for a few years.

And, IMO, Monaco/Lemon is the coolest of the three combos you mention above. Personally, I like the SGM, but it seems to be so common these days--seems like everyone on this forum is getting that or AW. Both are good colors for this car (hard to find a bad one :biggrin, but why not go with something a little different, and if you like it anyway....

Montego Blue Metallic,
Black Leatherette, Gray Poplar,
Sport Pkg, Step w/paddles, iPod/USB
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:14 AM   #11
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I ordered it and it's waiting for a boat right now, so no pics yet. I order it with the high gloss trim. I kinda like the sparkles. If they offer brush aluminum I'll go for it, but I don't like that pattern aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Mine is SGM, Black Boston and Aluminium.

Love it. Timeless. Classic. Have seen the coral in person and I DO NOT LIKE IT. Each to his own, but it's not a deep enough red for my liking. Also, I don't think I like the "patchwork" effect you get when you order the coral red.

Because I went black leather, the aluminium breaks the whole thing up very nicely.

Understand the concern with heat, but tinted windows and a reflective sunshade should solve a large part of that.

Never had a "light" leather interior, but pictures of the gray leather do set off the graphite exterior nicely.

As for the Monaco, I agree it is a great colour. Got told AFTER my order that it was available waaay down south. Otherwise, I would have faced the same dilemma.

I am REALLY happy with the SGM.

Your last line about Monaco/Lemon being your favourite combo probably sums it up. If that's what you like best, do it. Never mind if you've had a blue car for years. It's obviously what you like. There is no rule that says you have to change.

Photos to follow soonish. (depending on children)
      05-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I did SGM over Taupe leather - I really like it, very conservative - the Taupe and SGM play well together (plus taupe is the only interior color available with a matching headliner in the US - grrrrr).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
I'd do the blue/lemon/aluminum combo personally :headbang:
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
You seem to not want "flashy" so I voted for the SGM/Black.
It's a great combo and it's elegant, not flashy.
The SGM is a unique color as it has the "color change" properties in different lighting conditions. Light, dark, silvery, grey and yes, some can see the purple in it in certain light.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #16
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

I've had my Monaco/Lemon combo for two weeks now. I wore jeans for the first 3 days driving it around town. I must admit the jeans left a mark, however, it just took a simple wipe to get it off. I will probably have to do this weekly.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #17
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
You seem to not want "flashy" so I voted for the SGM/Black.
It's a great combo and it's elegant, not flashy.
The SGM is a unique color as it has the "color change" properties in different lighting conditions. Light, dark, silvery, grey and yes, some can see the purple in it in certain light.
Ummmm. I would say ALL WILL see purple in certain light. But I don't see the problem with that. It's a darkgraypurple, not grapeapepurple!
      05-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
Ummmm. I would say ALL WILL see purple in certain light. But I don't see the problem with that. It's a darkgraypurple, not grapeapepurple!

+1. I love all its permutations, even the occasional "darkgraypurple."
      05-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
Mine is SGM, Black Boston and Aluminium.

Love it. Timeless. Classic. Have seen the coral in person and I DO NOT LIKE IT. Each to his own, but it's not a deep enough red for my liking. Also, I don't think I like the "patchwork" effect you get when you order the coral red.

Because I went black leather, the aluminium breaks the whole thing up very nicely.

Understand the concern with heat, but tinted windows and a reflective sunshade should solve a large part of that.

Never had a "light" leather interior, but pictures of the gray leather do set off the graphite exterior nicely.

As for the Monaco, I agree it is a great colour. Got told AFTER my order that it was available waaay down south. Otherwise, I would have faced the same dilemma.

I am REALLY happy with the SGM.

Your last line about Monaco/Lemon being your favourite combo probably sums it up. If that's what you like best, do it. Never mind if you've had a blue car for years. It's obviously what you like. There is no rule that says you have to change.

Photos to follow soonish. (depending on children)
Totally agree with you regarding the Red Coral...the color is not red enough and on the edge of a tint of "brown".

Good point regarding the tint and reflective sunshade...I'm curious if the tint would absorb more heat into the car though?

Great point regarding the Monaco...too me, it's the greatest color scheme in a complimentary sense, but not my favorite exterior color (SGM is my favorite, but isn't the easiest to pair up with interior).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I've had my Monaco/Lemon combo for two weeks now. I wore jeans for the first 3 days driving it around town. I must admit the jeans left a mark, however, it just took a simple wipe to get it off. I will probably have to do this weekly.
Yeah see I was afraid of this...I'm a huge jean wearer myself, and I would hate to it to start leaving deep marks after a while. Did you remove the marks with just a dry rag?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

I've got a leased Dakota Beige e90, while I have enjoyed the car in every respect, that is the one thing I'll never do again. It shows marks too much, and feels "old man" to me after a couple of years. But of course it is all about personal taste, and if I listened to this forum I wouldn't have been stupid enough to order Coral Red on Sedona Red :biggrin:
      05-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
DylPickle85
Child of God
Rep
Drives:

HAHAH arrons you're funny. Ya, I'd have to agree on the "old man" aspect...I think savannah beige might be that way.

Looks like I've narrowed it down to SGM/Black, or Monaco/Lemon...

Even the 1addicts can't make up their minds...it's a pretty close race in the poll right now!
Appreciate 0