BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

To any Toronto area 1er's who recently got a SMG 135i

...purchased between beginning of May and now, off the lot (or just arrived).

Your dealer sold MY CAR out from under me.

I had agreed to the car, $5k deposit... but never showed up for shipping.

SGM
M Sport
Premium Pack - black leather
std. audio

yeah, I'm rather fucking pissed off at the moment .

My current option is a June build and late July delivery...so long summer .

It was supposed to show up around Saturday.

We'll see if there is any inventory around, but it doesn't look good.... Well now, bet I can get a good bit of freebies out of this MASSIVE FUCK UP.

You know, that $52k looks pretty good going into a down payment for some equity building property, but I don't know if I could live with myself and not get a 135....FUCK. /rant
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Wow... Dude, how the hell did that happen?

I can't blame you for being toally pissed.

Your dealer better be bending over backwards to make amends..
      05-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I am absolutely crushed by this... I really have no idea what to do right now, I guess BMW Canada will be getting a call to discuss the business practices of their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Did you get a VIN? I'd threaten the dealer that you'll put a lien against the VIN and then report it stolen.

(This is assuming you've told us the entire story-- you should NOT do this if the deal wasn't actually completed)
      05-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

just curious where you are? Your location says calgary, but you're buying in Toronto? Wouldn't you want to save your self the pst and buy in alberta?
      05-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8smith View Post
just curious where you are? Your location says calgary, but you're buying in Toronto? Wouldn't you want to save your self the pst and buy in alberta?
Dealer trade or it was supposed to be ....so maybe that's got a lot to it. I had a deposit, they sent the shipper to receive the car, but it wasn't there.

The car was actually never in the other dealer's possession when I put down the $$, It had arrived at port, and the destination code was supposed to be changed to Calgary.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Did you get a VIN? I'd threaten the dealer that you'll put a lien against the VIN and then report it stolen.

(This is assuming you've told us the entire story-- you should NOT do this if the deal wasn't actually completed)
Hmm... interesting, though I don't think this will help me get the car...that is, get me a not used car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Ah, I see. I got screwed around on a dealer swap a few years ago. Turns out, they had no intention of 'actually' doing the swap, they just wanted my deposit so they could place a factory order when the supposed swap 'fell through'. I told them where to go and went to a different dealer.

I'm not saying your dealer did this intentionally, but some do it quite often. Part of the classic bait and switch game. get your money, and when the promised car dosen't materialize, they try to sell you a different car, or place a factory order.
      05-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see. I got screwed around on a dealer swap a few years ago. Turns out, they had no intention of 'actually' doing the swap, they just wanted my deposit so they could place a factory order when the supposed swap 'fell through'. I told them where to go and went to a different dealer.

I'm not saying your dealer did this intentionally, but some do it quite often. Part of the classic bait and switch game. get your money, and when the promised car dosen't materialize, they try to sell you a different car, or place a factory order.
Sounds like it's time to grab the torch and pitchfork and smoke out the rat!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You pay the taxes where you live, not where you buy. An Albertan would only pay GST, not PST, even if buying out of province.
      05-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlefty View Post
Hmm... interesting, though I don't think this will help me get the car...that is, get me a not used car.
You don't threaten that to get the car you were promised, you do it to get them to make things right for you. They're obviously not going to go and "repo" the car from the new owner, but at the same time they're not going to want a headache, so the "right thing" would be for them to give you a large discount or a car with more options for the same price as what you paid... either of those would be fair.
      05-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
You don't threaten that to get the car you were promised, you do it to get them to make things right for you. They're obviously not going to go and "repo" the car from the new owner, but at the same time they're not going to want a headache, so the "right thing" would be for them to give you a large discount or a car with more options for the same price as what you paid... either of those would be fair.
Yep, I'm headed down this path now...the biggest piss off is the 2 extra months that are being tacked on with the June production date that it's looking like.

starting to feel a slight bit better now...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just remember, you're not the first person this has happened to and certainly won't be the last... doesn't make it right, but car dealerships always lack in the "do what you say you're going to do" department. Your best bet is to make them aware that you're not the type of customer to just let this sort of thing slide
      05-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Going in tomorrow to rustle some feathers...

As the story has unfolded, they sent the papers to the other dealer to buy the car, but they didn't get them right back, so when they checked to see what was up, the car had been sold.... What really makes me mad is how long it took for me to be made aware of this, had I known earlier, I could have placed an order with an earlier production date
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

That really blows. I would suggest when you go in that you don't rant and yell. Just look them straight in the face and say, "What are you going to do for me to make this right now that I have to wait another 2 months?" and don't say another thing until they start listing stuff off that they will do. Silence does wonders.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

warmtoes - good advice. I'd also alert BMW CA to see what their take on the matter is.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
That really blows. I would suggest when you go in that you don't rant and yell. Just look them straight in the face and say, "What are you going to do for me to make this right now that I have to wait another 2 months?" and don't say another thing until they start listing stuff off that they will do. Silence does wonders.
Yeah, always start with the cool and calm approach. Go in prepared, see if they're going to make it right, and if they're not doing enough (or anything) it's time to step it up a bit more...
      05-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

All solid advice... the ranting and yelling is for message boards / stress release... tomorrow I'll be cool as a cucumber :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #19
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Well, things have turned out probably as good as I could expect given the circumstances and market ...new package on the vehicle and an extra or two with a week 24? production number.

Now to play the waiting game....again.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #21
laingmui
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Just trying to understand this cause I'm starting to think that this may have happened to you. The only reason why I say that is cause they pretty much ordered you a new car this week and they are expecting delivery in July- I ordered my car in March and expecting it the same time as yours. When did you put your original deposit down?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #22
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingmui View Post
Just trying to understand this cause I'm starting to think that this may have happened to you. The only reason why I say that is cause they pretty much ordered you a new car this week and they are expecting delivery in July- I ordered my car in March and expecting it the same time as yours. When did you put your original deposit down?
Deposit in late April.... they got the production slot from a dealer in Toronto so as to try and make up for lost time already waiting.
Appreciate 0