BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Engine trouble, help!

I bought my 135i about six months ago and haven't had an issue until today.

It's been cold out as of late and when I got in my car to start it, it took a while to get going. When it finally did, the revs went up and down, and it sounded like it was about to die. Never did.

The "engine icon" came on in yellow, meaning Limp Home Mode, and the Service Engine Soon light did too. Water was shooting out of the exhaust and "smoke" (remember it was cold, could simply ve the usual stuff you see) was coming out of only ONE of the pipes.

Tried driving it around the parking lot and it's barely move and sort of shook.

I'm under warranty of course, but...bad battery? Something to do with the coolant? I get NO other warning lights other than Service Engine. Actually last week, the "snowflake" icon came on once, hasn't since.

I fear trying to drive it to the dealer. I don't know if they'll come get it or not, or if that's a free service.

Pissed this is happening to a six month old car but she doesn't want to run at all.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Call your Dealer. They should be able to tell you what to do.

Good luck...sorry this happened.

EspressoBoy

PS
I have had my windows freeze up, and having them smash against the trim was not fun. I hear ya, this sucks... Let us know Monday after you call.
      12-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Don't you have BMW Assist in the US?
      12-15-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Bad high-pressure fuel pump?
      12-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #5
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Yeah, that puppy(HPFP) is toast, they should hook you up with a new one!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

As advised, get it to the dealer.

What puzzles me is your mention of water and smoke. There's some missing info there, it could be completely normal. Was it oil smoke or water vapor? Was it water or coolant?

The problem in reading what you describe is that water vapor is normal, but oil smoke is not (at least on a new car - don't ask about race cars with looser ring tolerances ; -).

And water, a byproduct of the combustion process, does come out of the tailpipe especially right after startup since all the various parts have yet to heat up sufficiently to vaporize water. But if you're seeing coolant (smoke or liquid) that is usually associated with a blown head gasket.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Bully View Post
I bought my 135i about six months ago and haven't had an issue until today.

It's been cold out as of late and when I got in my car to start it, it took a while to get going. When it finally did, the revs went up and down, and it sounded like it was about to die. Never did.

The "engine icon" came on in yellow, meaning Limp Home Mode, and the Service Engine Soon light did too. Water was shooting out of the exhaust and "smoke" (remember it was cold, could simply ve the usual stuff you see) was coming out of only ONE of the pipes.

Tried driving it around the parking lot and it's barely move and sort of shook.

I'm under warranty of course, but...bad battery? Something to do with the coolant? I get NO other warning lights other than Service Engine. Actually last week, the "snowflake" icon came on once, hasn't since.

I fear trying to drive it to the dealer. I don't know if they'll come get it or not, or if that's a free service.

Pissed this is happening to a six month old car but she doesn't want to run at all.

Any ideas?
I know it may seem overly simple but did you fill up your tank of gas last night? Try to simply remove your gas cap and the put it back on. The symptoms sound an awful lot like loss of Vacuum pressure in one of a myriad of hoses. You get these symptoms from loose gas caps and loose exhaust fittings. If you don't have the long start issue, as in when you press the start button it takes longer than 3 seconds to start...then I would not worry about the HPFP.....yet.....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
As advised, get it to the dealer.

What puzzles me is your mention of water and smoke. There's some missing info there, it could be completely normal. Was it oil smoke or water vapor? Was it water or coolant?

The problem in reading what you describe is that water vapor is normal, but oil smoke is not (at least on a new car - don't ask about race cars with looser ring tolerances ; -).

And water, a byproduct of the combustion process, does come out of the tailpipe especially right after startup since all the various parts have yet to heat up sufficiently to vaporize water. But if you're seeing coolant (smoke or liquid) that is usually associated with a blown head gasket.
^^^ What he says is correct. If the exhaust smell is EXTREMELY strong then you may have some oil in it as well. Should not be the case with your 6 mos. old car though....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Well, I try it this morning and it starts up fine. The Service Engine light is still on though (gas cap is tight). I read some threads last night after posting this, and I figured it was the fuel pump. I also read some concerning that how the problem can come and go. So, I'll make an appointment and have them check it over. But at least I can drive it there myself. I was worried about trying to drive it in limp mode, and didn't want to have to pay for a tow. Though...isn't that a free service?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

And the answer is: cylinder. I think he said #1. Had to replace it. I pick it up tomorrow as I don't want to drive in rush hour traffic with a friend to get it tonight. He said it came up in the diag. and it's usually either fuel pump or cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Its been in the low 30's high 20's the last couple of days here and when I started my car today (27 degrees outside) the same thing happened. The limp mode light came on and it sounded weird but I did not get a CEL. I let it run for about a minute then shut it off. When I ignited it again seconds later everything was fine. I didn't monitor anything exhaust wise, though. No lights, noises, etc. I took it for a spin and everything sounded and ran fine.
I suppose the real question is for those who might or may be experiencing the same thing is if this is abnormal, harmful, and what the reasoning is.
      12-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
And the answer is: cylinder. I think he said #1. Had to replace it. I pick it up tomorrow as I don't want to drive in rush hour traffic with a friend to get it tonight. He said it came up in the diag. and it's usually either fuel pump or cylinder.
A cylinder? I didn't think you could just replace a cylinder. Particularly in a day...:iono:
      12-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

everything described in this thread happened to my car...and it was the HPFP
      12-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Well crap, now I worry. I'll get the exact problem tomorrow on the print out, but he definitely said the word cylinder. I'm crap with cars though. He may have said "plug" too. It was very cold when all the issues started, but damn, you think a car could handle the cold and I live in the South!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

do the 09's have the hpfp problem? Or has it been corrected? Just wondering because i take delivery in a bout a month.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Well crap, now I worry. I'll get the exact problem tomorrow on the print out, but he definitely said the word cylinder. I'm crap with cars though. He may have said "plug" too. It was very cold when all the issues started, but damn, you think a car could handle the cold and I live in the South!
Cylinder makes no sense. Did he say spark plug? In number 1 cylinder? Or Injector? The cylinder is not replaceable, as it is part of the engine block.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Your engine would need to look like this BMW assembly in order to replace a cylinder. ; -)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Cylinder makes no sense. Did he say spark plug? In number 1 cylinder? Or Injector? The cylinder is not replaceable, as it is part of the engine block.
Yes of course; the cylinder is the "sleeve" in the engine block that the piston moves within...the piston compresses the air and fuel within the cylinder and the spark plugs (or other spark producing object...depending on the car) produce a spark that ignites that mixture and sends the piston back down forcibly.

@Uptown Bully: If you are crap with cars but want a great, short tutorial on engine basics check this out:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

They are great for giving you the basics and even have images and moving parts to demonstrate what is being explained. Great stuff for those new to the engine tuning and turbocharging world.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Sorry for all the n00b talk. I got it back just now. It was the injector. FP #13-53-7-565-138. He said it was in the number one cylinder...and I guess that's all my ears heard the other day.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Glad all is well in The QC now... *smile*

EspressoBoy

Did you have a bad exp with slaw? I can't get enough of the stuff myself. (mind you I only like the creamy one that I make myself.)
      12-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #21
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Your engine would need to look like this BMW assembly in order to replace a cylinder. ; -)

Now that would make a great wall clock!

EspressoBoy
      12-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I don't how well it'd idle at 60 rpm. ; -)
Appreciate 0