ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Having problems with Dice functioning properly

Installed my Dice/iPod the other day and don't feel it is working as it should. The Dice was installed properly (battery disconnected during install) and intialized properly into my system via the trunk (only have a single CD player). I'd like to know if you guys with a Dice are experiencing similar problems and how you handled them.

Overall, although the sound is good, Dice functions seem to be inconsistent. Sometimes it scrolls, sometimes not. I could be on disc 3, yet it will read CDC1-sometimes. Sometimes I can't move on to the next song via the > button on the steering wheel as the Dice seems to hang up on one song and not advance to the next one. I'm not sure if shuffle is functioning properly, or it may be me: All playlists on the iPod are set to shuffle. The radio is set to RND*. Shouldn't songs/artists/albums shuffle with these settings whan I quickly press >? Or, are my setting incorrect?

Got the unit from EAS and called for support early yesterday. Was told that a Dice tech would get to me shortly. Well, I'm still waiting...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I'm not even using the text support, I was told to turn that off. And then (on navigation model) I press 6, then use the left right track buttons to select track 2. THEN it works fine.
      02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Flycaster
Flycaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 MB C300 coupe, '13 ATS 2.0

Been fooling around with the Dice without any help from Dice ot Tom G at EAS. Here's what I did: Disconnected the iPod and re-booted it (held menu and center button for ~5 seconds). Disconnected the car battery cables for about 5-7 minutes (it was suggested that the cables be touched together, but didn't do that as I thought that it wouldn't be a good move). Reconnected the iPod to the Dice and reconnected the battery cables. On first try, there still were problems, so I did it again. This time initialization and detection of iPod appeared to be right.

Now for functionality. I still don't know how to get randomization, but here's how I got to choose different tracks within a specific playlist, tracks within a specific artist and tracks within a specific album. Remember one of my problems was that, for example, when in a album and pressing next/previous, I would get the next/previous album but not the next/previous track within the album I was in. So, when in album (or for that matter, artists or playlists), press disk1 and then next/previous to hear tracks within that album.

Ran a quick test. Going from Albums to disk1: Some times scrolls, some times doesn't. Some times moves on to next song, some times stays with just one song and have to manually go to next one. Stopped playing once with "Stopped" on radio field. Sound still good, but if I am doing things right, then the Dice sucks as there is no consistency to its functionality.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

Hope you get it sorted out. If all else fails get a teenager to fix it, my son usually figures out electronic issues faster than any tech. My Dice continues to perform pretty well, but I wonder if BMW came out with a decent touchscreen system for the new Z4....?

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
E86S54
Major
Rep
Drives: Moupe

the dice is a bit funky sometimes but i usually find a reboot of the module to fix most issues.
Appreciate 0