ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
ElegantSpoon
There I was balls deep in a...
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D

Talking Help with HID kit fitting please :D

Hello all!

Has anyone fitted a HID kit to their Z4? I'm planning on ordering a kit but wanted to hear peoples experiances before I take the plunge!

The only thing that puts me off is the fact the headlights and right up against the wheel arches and not into the engine bay.

Anyhelp on this would be great!

Thanx
Spoony
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
SystemR
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Boxster, formerly 05 Z4

its actually pretty easy, once you take off the bumper its all plug and play except for drilling the hole for the rubber grommets

I put in the DDM 35W slimline kit, BimmerZealot helped me with htis.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Wouldn't you just access the back of the headlight from the wheel well access panel? I assume you you are just adding HID bulb/ballast and not the entire headlight assembly?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
I swap'd the whole assembly over to my Z. I can see where the drilling may come into play with the ballast cause the OEM ballast is mounted on the bottem of the headlamp assembly. The OEM ballast has two holes cut in the assembly to allow the power wires to be fed to the ballast. Where as, the aftermarket assembly needs holes cut for the wiring harnesss. Not really much help but my $.02

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
SystemR
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Boxster, formerly 05 Z4

i suppose you could do it w/o taking off the bumper but i think its be hard to route all the wires and mount the ballasts.

most people mount the ballasts in the lower bumper area where the fog lights are. i imagine it would be difficult to do all that through the wheel access panel.

here's how mine ended up:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152375
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Thanx for the replies!! I have just had a look through the two access panels and I think I should be able to wire and fit everything through there but it is a bit tight with the wheel on.

So I thought I could take it off but I'm guessing theres no car jack in the boot?

Am I able to use other car jacks or they specific to each car?

Thanx again!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Wheres a good place to put the boxes in the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

when i did mine i took the front bumper off. pretty simple to do and didnt take long at all. you might be able to swing it without taking the bumper off but as everyone else said, it would be a big pain. i contemplated it becauase i was worried about aligning the bumper correctly when putting it back on but i realized it would be pretty tough to do the job with it on. the bumper gave me no issues with realigning by the way.

as far as mounting, ive seen some posts where people used adhesive and glued them on to the left of the wheel well. what i ended up doing (and some may think its a bit rigged) i zip tied the pieces to a metal bar right behind the wheel well. used a few to make it tight and nothing budges. been like that for about 3 months now and not one issue. quick and easy.

you will have to drill a hole big enough on the plastic cover that covers the rear side of the headlight housing. then you place the rubber grommet in that space which will make it water tight (and so you can pass through the wiring).

the only other issue i ran into was moutning the bulb. you'll notice that there is a special metal clip ring that is used with the halogen bulb to secure the bulb in the housing. i dont know how anyone else has mounted their bulbs (or maybe they used the same method as me), but i ended up cutting the clip ring on one side, bending it outward, pulled all the wiring through and then i was able to use that clip ring just like the halogens and i had no issues with fitment.

Last edited by nickpapa; 02-02-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

its definitely doable without taking the bumper off and you can fit regular HID kit in there.

I went from Halogen to Bi-Xenons
      02-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Hey nickpapa thanx for the detailed info! Theres is nothing wrong with cable tying it in place they are strong. I considered this myself but will decide forsure on friday when I fit them

With the light bulb clip do you mean the cable cannot be routed through without cutting the clip? I've never swapped the bulb so haven't looked.

Blacksapphire were the BMW or a retro fit kit?

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantSpoon View Post
With the light bulb clip do you mean the cable cannot be routed through without cutting the clip? I've never swapped the bulb so haven't looked.
exactly. the ends of the wiring on the hid kit were too large to fit through the clip ring without cutting and bending it a little bit outwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
ElegantSpoon
Rep

Thanx again nickpapa! I think thats everything covered for now. Just gotta wait until friday when I should hopefully fit them

Looking forward to getting it all done! The xenons on my TT were brilliant!
Appreciate 0