ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Roof rack on M Coupe

Wanted to post for those who are looking for a roof rack for the Coupe.

I found these suction cup racks through a post on Lotustalk.com (strangely, google no longer returns the specific post...). A poster there had started a website/company, racksthatsuck.com. He's no longer running the website, but had a few extra laying around, so gave it a shot.

Just screwing around at home, I accidentally pulled the lenolium off the laundry room floor, I couldn't believe how hard they gripped.

Installing on the car was a bit tricky. I park in an outside covered garage, so in the winter, the car is always cold. I think a combo of cold air and less flexible rubber on the suction cups maked for attaching them a little sketchy. And I always brought a bottle of windex and clean microfiber rag with me.

Couple shots below of the rack installed. Swung by Red Rocks, part of the standard tour for Denver visitors. Also a cool pano shot from inside, my friend stitched a bunch of single images together. And the final shot, I just found out the racks will mount lengthwise (within about a half inch) on the rear glass. Makes it much more convenient, can open and close hatch without removing skis from the rack, will probably use this set up from now on... skis may stick out a bit on the sides tho.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Interesting...thanks for the post.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
andrewj7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe (#40) w/Nav,Sprt,Prem

That's cool, where are those for sale?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Mounted on the front window makes it kind of tough on the windshield wipers, doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc'Z View Post
Mounted on the front window makes it kind of tough on the windshield wipers, doesn't it?
You have a good eye. The way it was mounted in the first few pics, you can not use the wipers. Luckily I did not find out the hard way. You could mount both sets of suction cups on the roof, or go with the way shown in the last photo.

As for being for sale, like I said, the website is no longer up. I ended up PM'ing the user 'Graydon' on the lotustalk.com website.

Last edited by double0jimb0; 02-20-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i really like the shot of it on the hatch. if you dont mind me asking, how much were these? i'd like to get a set myself..
      02-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep

With a couple people expressing interest in the racks, let me give full disclosure.

AFAIK, these racks are home made by 'Graydon' on the Lotustalk.com forum. I can no longer access the original post, you might have different luck: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172...res-etc-57358/
Also, his website, racksthatsuck.com, is now defunct. Both sides disappearing is strange, read into that what you will.

In december Graydon put another post on Lotustalk.com saying he had a few left for sale, so I PM'd him on that website. If you want a pair, I assume you will have to do the same.

I paid $220 including shipping. They are home made. He didn't state it specifically, but I am assuming there is no guarentee, warranty, insurance, etc... I assumed all this going in. These are not a polished commercial product. I am an engineer by trade, so I took a long hard look at them before deciding to put them on the car. Even then, I did a couple test drives, constantly checking them, before deciding to make a long haul to Vail, etc. Please don't see these as equivalent to a Thule or Yakima rack, they are a one off, use at your own risk.

But all that being said, I am very happy with the product, they work as advertised and certainly are unique. If some one ends up getting a set, I would certainly be willing to share the do's and don'ts I've learned so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0jimb0 View Post
With a couple people expressing interest in the racks, let me give full disclosure.

AFAIK, these racks are home made by 'Graydon' on the Lotustalk.com forum. I can no longer access the original post, you might have different luck: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172...res-etc-57358/
Also, his website, racksthatsuck.com, is now defunct. Both sides disappearing is strange, read into that what you will.

In december Graydon put another post on Lotustalk.com saying he had a few left for sale, so I PM'd him on that website. If you want a pair, I assume you will have to do the same.

I paid $220 including shipping. They are home made. He didn't state it specifically, but I am assuming there is no guarentee, warranty, insurance, etc... I assumed all this going in. These are not a polished commercial product. I am an engineer by trade, so I took a long hard look at them before deciding to put them on the car. Even then, I did a couple test drives, constantly checking them, before deciding to make a long haul to Vail, etc. Please don't see these as equivalent to a Thule or Yakima rack, they are a one off, use at your own risk.

But all that being said, I am very happy with the product, they work as advertised and certainly are unique. If some one ends up getting a set, I would certainly be willing to share the do's and don'ts I've learned so far.
What is you highest sustained top speed with the rack mounted?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep

As for highest sustained speed, I stay with traffic in the left lane on I-70, which usually does about 80. And in a serious lapse of concentation, I once let it creep up to somewhere north of 100 on a steep downhill. I heard a slight pop, I checked the rack on the next offramp, and one of the front cups had slid backwards about 1/4". I'd say somewhere between 100 - 105 is the limit, not that I plan on ever testing it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by double0jimb0 View Post
As for highest sustained speed, I stay with traffic in the left lane on I-70, which usually does about 80. And in a serious lapse of concentation, I once let it creep up to somewhere north of 100 on a steep downhill. I heard a slight pop, I checked the rack on the next offramp, and one of the front cups had slid backwards about 1/4". I'd say somewhere between 100 - 105 is the limit, not that I plan on ever testing it again.
was this when it was on the rear hatch or the roof?
      02-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
double0jimb0
Enlisted Member
Rep

That was with the racks mounted on the top of the car. Thr front crossbar was mounted to the windsheild, and the rear crossbar to the top of the roof. And because it was cold when I was installing them, I don't think they had the greatest suction at the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Cool little racks! I don't ski but if I did I am sure I'd be interested!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Looks like RealOEM shows a roof/hatch rack system from BMW.

For what it's worth...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=82&fg=51
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Here is a similar solution, seem to be for skis only

http://www.etonrack.com/_vti_002/product.html

More pics http://www.etonrack.com/_vti_005/pictures.html
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If mounted on the hatch glass, I would avoid heavily loading them due to the risk of damaging the glass or loosening it or the hatch mechanism with wind loading at high speed.

You can probably load up heavier objects with the racks on the roof.

Do they make one for roadsters LOL!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

Do they make one for roadsters LOL!
Depending on how long your skis are I don't see why you couldn't mount it horizontally on the trunk
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Here is a similar solution, seem to be for skis only

http://www.etonrack.com/_vti_002/product.html