BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

03-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
scarhead
Rep
Drives: M3

Mulligan - What Would You Do Differently?

If you had a chance to do it all over what would you do differently concerning the purchase of your M3? Examples:

a) Get DCT instead of MT (and vice versa)?
b) Different color interior and/or exterior?
c) Different model (i.e., E90 instead of E92)?
d) Buy a totally different car?
e) More negotiation and hold out for a better deal?

I did a search for similar topics, but didn't find any, so I apologize if this is a re-post of this topic and this was already discussed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
RCKe90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (soon)

Interesting thread...curious to see what some owners have to say.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarhead View Post

a) I'd still order a MT
b) Maybe MR. Love my AW, but it's sooo common.
c) Love my E92, except when parking is tight
d) No
e) Nope, got a great deal through the Military Sales Program.
      03-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

a) Probably still stick with DCT
b) Same color
c) E92, still like the couple better
d) No
e) Porbably should haggle more for a better deal

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

1) Id stay with MT
2) I would have changed my exterior color to Space Gray instead of AW...too common!
3) No
4)No
5) I got a pretty good deal so NO!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Quote:
If you had a chance to do it all over what would you do differently concerning the purchase of your M3? Examples:

I did a search for similar topics, but didn't find any, so I apologize if this is a re-post of this topic and this was already discussed.
a) I'm happy with my 6MT, DCT nice but I think for me it would come down to the fact that I can drive 6MT and love it, and it's $3k more for DCT, I can do with out.

b) I love Interlagos Blue! But I haven't seen LeMans Blue in person yet, so maybe

c) I don't know about differently but my next one will probably be a convertible, but no way I could afford the price difference of one right now

d) Ha ha, the term "Ultimate Driving Machine" tends to come up when I think of this car.

e) I think I held out the perfect amount of time, I got a really, really, good deal. I probably could have haggled a tad bit on the last offer instead of just taking it out right though. Last offer after two months of negociating that is, but it was only $40 more a month than I wanted to pay, so pretty good.
      03-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
scarhead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKe90 View Post
Interesting thread...curious to see what some owners have to say.

So far, some pretty good responses. For me, I put alot of thought and research into the M3 and fell in love with it on my test drive. I don't think there is another car that I would want (at least in the price range). There was a post on here recently about the 370z. I would maybe consider it, but I just can't get myself to "feel" the 370z. There's something about it that just doesn't quite fit. I looked at the S5 and C63, but I'm not really an Audi fan and the C63 was just too plasticky (don't even think that's a word).

As for color options, I would stay with the Fox Red. I wouldn't mind the Jerez, but keeping it swirl free I imagine would be difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep

My deal was awesome and am very content with it. Color and other options; I wouldn't change a thing. I never had a black car but am blown away by the Jerez black. The dark blue tinge is extremely visible in good lighting which add another dimension of depth to the car's allure. The 18" wheels just compliments the cars black leather and another pleasant surprise is the Sycamore wood matching the dark color scheme. It just make this M3 look really BAD-ASS. I am really happy with this car.

The only thing I would change is my uncontrollable of like a kid in a Brand new sports car and have never really had a desire for one and has never driven a car regularly with more than 245HP. Man I keep breaking all the rules. 5500 rpm limit before 1200 miles, broke it, maxed a 7500rpm. 105 mph limit at 1200, broke it for about 10 seconds to 110. Driving with the car only warmed 5minutes in 20 degree weather (kept in the garage of course) broke it. Took out the at first gear and going at 3500 rpm in 1st gear while fucking around with this dickhead iDrive setup. Had only two stalls which the only reaction from my M is the engine dying out quietly and softly, no harsh rocking back and forth, I even though the car was still on. Was actually brain wash by dumb asses in the past who told me down shifting and engine beaking is cool and good for the car. According to our in-house sages---NO! BAD! too much wear on synch/clutch pads fly wheels and engine. Didn't even try to rev-match either. Will do so from now on! My car has three hundred miles and hope I haven't done any permenant irreversible harm to my baby.

If those sages are listening please chime in and give me some encouragement an tell me my M isn't screw yet and chenges in my habits will reverse the effects or cease the damage or something.
      03-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:

Interesting post! Here is my feedback:
a) I love the DCT and I wouldn't swap it to a 6MT in spite of the lag issue (BTW, I have been driving MT BMWs for over 18 years). DCT is great fun and great convinience in trafic!
b) No change there too - Alpine White with CF and Fox Red interior is a choice I have certainly not regreted!
c) I am very happy with my E92 and I wouldn't change it to E90 or 93.
d) Kiddin me? I am in love with this car!
e) Well maybe... I mean M3s are also piling up and I guess dealers will strat some serious discounts. But I wouldn't want to wait like for ever - I just wanted an E92 M3 DCT soonest even if this costed more!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

a) I would probably get the DCT so my wife can drive it.
b) The more I see SSII, the more I think I should've gotten that color instead. I really wish I got the Fox Red though. Although bamboo is more elegant/classic.
c) LCI e90. Still need a 4 door for the future kid.
d) Still the M. I wish I got it earlier.
e) Got it great deal already. I'm sure I could've save $50-100 more a month if I waited until 09 for the 08 models, but the selection would have been limited.
      03-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:

a) No, 6MT all the way
b) I didn't have a choice, I wanted Silver but all the dealer had (in 08's) was Jerez Black/Bamboo, I have to say it is now my favorite combo.
c) Nope, Sedan is a must. I see a lot more coupes than sedans and I love the stealth factor
d) never
e) got an awesome deal on a left over 08. I don't think it could be possible to go any lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
mrblonde_zx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 JB/RF

a) Happy with MT
b) Love the Jerez, but starting to become common. Interlagos would be my next choice. I wish I could see it in person though.
c) Happy with E92
d) If I had the funds TK's F430 Scuderia, other than that no..
e) I probably would have saved a couple grand in cash for the purchase price, but in the grand scheme of things, it was only a couple of grand, not a big deal.. glad I have the car now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

a- would stick with the 6mt love it even if a little trickier to make go fast
b- love the jerez black but really like alpine with black wheel and lip and diffuser also
c- nope love the sedan no couple or verts for me
d- no way
e- yes i bought mine as a used 08 about 2 months ago now and should have gotten a better deal but its done and the car is amazing
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

The only thing I would change would be the interior - I have JB over black leather and really wish I had either fox red or bamboo beige interior. I got a pretty good deal when I bought but hate the slide in value. Can't time things perfectly so I don't let it bother me too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

a) Get DCT instead of MT (and vice versa)? no
b) Different color interior and/or exterior? no
c) Different model (i.e., E90 instead of E92)? no
d) Buy a totally different car? no
e) More negotiation and hold out for a better deal? Would like to have predicted the strengthening of the dollar, the collapse of car sales world wide, and potentially being able to write off sales tax. Could have saved a little bit more by waiting. But the difference is totally negligible when I consider all the other financial losses my crystal ball failed to save me from in the last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I would get the same options but I am 50/50 on the fence about having gotten a coupe instead of a sedan. No performance reasons just purely for looks.