BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Back to the practical convertible discussion

Mods - delete or lock this if you like. The thread was informative to me, but I can see the posts that were why you locked the other one.

I'd still like a bit of additional insight, if possible... regarding having a vert in NJ - and its regular use.

Well, take right now... late march, 50 degrees out. Perfect for being outside. I can imagine that it can be a bit cool with the top down (wind chill type heat loss), but with seat heaters and the heat on, can it be bad?

I rarely commute during the heat of the day. Most of my driving is before 9 or after 5. Even in the summer when it is real hot Ive avoided the worst part of the day.

I have to imagine that with out weather, I can get 8 months use out of it, and that is the assumption Im running off of.

We had a rental vert (mustang) in Dallas, TX, middle of summer, driving in the middle of the day - that was hot, but we still enjoyed it. Cold doesnt bother me, and I don't drive a fast commute - 45-50 MPH is my max speed, so I dont see that as an issue either.

Am I thinking about usability the wrong way? Im not going to use it at noon on a 100F day, nor on any day that has rain, snow, or sub-30F weather... But that still leaves a LOT of beautiful days in our area... roughly 8 months less the rainy days.

Your thoughts/advice???
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Mods - delete or lock this if you like. The thread was informative to me, but I can see the posts that were why you locked the other one.

I'd still like a bit of additional insight, if possible... regarding having a vert in NJ - and its regular use.

Well, take right now... late march, 50 degrees out. Perfect for being outside. I can imagine that it can be a bit cool with the top down (wind chill type heat loss), but with seat heaters and the heat on, can it be bad?

I rarely commute during the heat of the day. Most of my driving is before 9 or after 5. Even in the summer when it is real hot Ive avoided the worst part of the day.

I have to imagine that with out weather, I can get 8 months use out of it, and that is the assumption Im running off of.

We had a rental vert (mustang) in Dallas, TX, middle of summer, driving in the middle of the day - that was hot, but we still enjoyed it. Cold doesnt bother me, and I don't drive a fast commute - 45-50 MPH is my max speed, so I dont see that as an issue either.

Am I thinking about usability the wrong way? Im not going to use it at noon on a 100F day, nor on any day that has rain, snow, or sub-30F weather... But that still leaves a LOT of beautiful days in our area... roughly 8 months less the rainy days.

Your thoughts/advice???
After all that... glad to see you didn't give up.

I've been driving mine topless over the last 3+ weeks. Some mornings have been in the 40's and are doable but I usually have the top up then. Most mornings have been in the low 50's. No problem. The heated seats do help. Also, the "Auto" temp control switches to "convertible mode" when the top is down, which also helps.

I've also found it useful to keep a cap in the car for times when the sun is up high or in my face.

As I said before, IMO, other then keeping a look out for the occasional rainstorm, a convertible would work fine in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

thanks! noting that you have the premium hifi, though I suppose you can only guess... does it really have a benefit with the top down? can you really play music, without it being obscenely loud, and it have some quality when the top is down?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Im on LI and my top has been down every day over the winter. The 1er vert, with a hast and gloves is a very comfortible place in the winter, even with the top down. Although I have enjoyed these past few days of 50+
      03-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
I have the full "stereo" works in mine, sounds still good with top down.

To me, if it is cold, I just crank the heat. The cic has a "top down" HVAC mode to control the temp in the car, it works well.

As always, the vert is up to "personal preference". If you live for topless, then you will do it.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
macmook
Semi-Geezer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
My rule is if it's not raining or snowing, and it's 50 degrees or better, the top comes down.

I'm about 70 miles north of NYC and the top was down all day on Saturday.

I had the diffuser in an e46 M3 cabrio and the same applied. Not sure if I need the diffuser in the 135i yet. Heat and heated seats are great.

While I prefer the lines of the coupe vs. the top up convertible. The days when that top come down are a driving pleasure.

Good luck!

'09 135i ragtop, 6MT, Crimson, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

It hit 75 this afternoon in No. VA - the top was down, sunshine= unmatchable enjoyment! I've also found that it helps to keep some sunscreen handy in the glove box as I've gotten burned already a couple of times after driving around on a sunny day.

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Regarding your question about heat, I'd avoid a black 'vert - but otherwise, you shouldn't have a problem. Last August, I drove my Cashmere Silver 128i cabrio down the Las Vegas strip in 110o heat. Although I would have had the top down in my younger days, the top was up this time and (with A/C) the car was quite comfortable - even though traffic was heavy and only moving at 5~10 mph.

The only thing to worry about in cold weather is that the summer tires which come with the Sport Package are not suitable for either snow or sub-freezing temperatures and, of course, don't stint on sun block. (Also +1 to Singular's suggestion about keeping a cap in the car - especially for those of us with thinning hair.)

While I'm lucky enough to have another car to drive in the winter, I've had convertibles as my sole transportation on and off for over 40 years. If we were talking about a '50s British roadster, it would be one thing, but there is no reason not to enjoy a BMW 1er droptop year round.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
thanks! noting that you have the premium hifi, though I suppose you can only guess... does it really have a benefit with the top down? can you really play music, without it being obscenely loud, and it have some quality when the top is down?
No problems with stereo quality. If you put your windows up you get a lot less road and wind noise so you don't have to crank it that loud. Also, you can set up the sound system to adapt to your speed so it's not blasting when you hit the red lights.

I know others feel aftermarket stereos are higher quality or have more umph - but I'm fine with the prem. BMW sound. Took me a week to get used to the non-standard interface, but no big deal. I assume you can't get aftermarket systems to integrate with iDrive.

Ditto on the sunblock!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
I live in Boston. I've had the top down a few times already this March. Heated seats are a must though. Even on cool evenings in the summer.

Quote:
I can hear music just fine with the top down, just the standard stereo system. And I have had phone conversations using the Bluetooth with the top down at 50MPH.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've drivn top down a few times this year. Just this weekend it was just below 50 degrees and it was fine especially with the wind blocker in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Just to brag about SoFL a bit, my top has been down more times than it has been up, and that has been since October.

That darn Jan weather we have down here, so cold during the day, dips down into the 60's in temps, so cold, have to blast the heat to stay warm.

Now that I am done being a smartass on the weather, back to the car. Just nothing like a vert. Sun and fun all in the 1, that's how it's done!!
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)