BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

One touch climate control off

I have impression that I could turn off climate control just pressing one button in Z4. However I have to click several times reduce fan speed until I get it turned off in 1. Is there shorter way? Voice command? What’s else, since voice command it is a little more efforts. Usually I turn off A/C when get top down, perhaps I need just ignore that it continues working, since it can realize that tops is down and do not try to struggle for keeping temperature stable.
      03-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
I have impression that I could turn off climate control just pressing one button in Z4. However I have to click several times reduce fan speed until I get it turned off in 1. Is there shorter way? Voice command? What’s else, since voice command it is a little more efforts. Usually I turn off A/C when get top down, perhaps I need just ignore that it continues working, since it can realize that tops is down and do not try to struggle for keeping temperature stable.
I don't think there is a one touch off function for the car.

On a side note, we Americans have gotten so lazy that pressing a button more than once has become a burden for us.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

that's true. that said, the easier to do, the better, when you're driving... to stay concentrated/safe, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you have it on auto, it's not just more than once, it's a random amount of times. Meaning you can't do it without taking your eyes off the road. A fairly minor niggle, but it would have been so easy to fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Thanks,
At least I didn’t overlook something.
      03-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Seems like there should be a voice command that would do this.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
If you have it on auto, it's not just more than once, it's a random amount of times. Meaning you can't do it without taking your eyes off the road. A fairly minor niggle, but it would have been so easy to fix.
Doesn't pushing the decrement fan speed button and keeping it down turn the system off like it does in other BMW CC systems? Seems like a quick glance to find the button is all that is needed.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Doesn't pushing the decrement fan speed button and keeping it down turn the system off like it does in other BMW CC systems? Seems like a quick glance to find the button is all that is needed.
Tom

I don't think so. I think you have to push it a couple of times. I'll try holding it down for a few seconds at lunch.

I think it would be nice if there was a one-touch off button. It's not a huge PITA, but it just seems like it would have been so simple to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I don't think so. I think you have to push it a couple of times. I'll try holding it down for a few seconds at lunch.

I think it would be nice if there was a one-touch off button. It's not a huge PITA, but it just seems like it would have been so simple to do.
I just tried it. Holding down the button decreases fan speed to minimum (takes about 3~4" from max). Then pushing the button turns the system off. So as I said, one brief glance to find the button is all that's required.

IIRC, the manual HVAC (not available for most U.S. BMW models) requires turning the rotary fan control all the way counter-clockwise (past a detent) to shut the system down - the same way radios used to operate. Much more intuitive, IMHO.

At least it is an improvement over my early E46 where the fan always comes on when the car is started, even though it had been previously turned off before the ignition was shut down!
Tom
Appreciate 0