ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
glenn
Rep
Drives: 328i

Z4 VS. SLK

hi ! i am preparing for a move to a roadster and waiting for my 328i sedan lease to be a little more palatable on an early turn in. I have been comparing certified Z4 to Mercedes SLK 350 both great cars. I feel the Z4 probably has better reliability in general , but the convertable hardtop of the SLK is definetly a nice feature. Do you feel the advent of the new Z4 with the body change and convertable hardtop drastically reduces the value and desirability of the previous Z4 ? thanks,Glenn
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
No - I think it will have the opposite effect, and help slow the rapid depreciation of the outgoing car, especially the M variants, since there is no replacement for them. The new car has been tarted up in features and price, to appeal to a "new" audience.
      04-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
glenn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
No - I think it will have the opposite effect, and help slow the rapid depreciation of the outgoing car, especially the M variants, since there is no replacement for them. The new car has been tarted up in features and price, to appeal to a "new" audience.
i agree and probably the new Z is designed more to appeal to the audience the SLK has which i believe has been edging out the Z in sales for awhile and probably the new Z is geared to maybe a slightly less "true european roadster" enthusiast ? Excuse me but what are "M Variants? ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
i agree and probably the new Z is designed more to appeal to the audience the SLK has which i believe has been edging out the Z in sales for awhile and probably the new Z is geared to maybe a slightly less "true european roadster" enthusiast ? Excuse me but what are "M Variants? ?

He meant Ms in general and Z4M in particular
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
glenn
Rep

you mean like the M3 and they have that in the Z also ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
you mean like the M3 and they have that in the Z also ?
Yes - the Z4M used a lot of the parts left over from the outgoing e46 M3.

Overall, it's difficult to figure how much influence of the new Z has on the values of the current E85/86 Z's since the market for sports cars overall is so soft in the current economy. Some people are seriously attracted to the folding hardtop feature so will gravitate toward the Benz or the new Z, while others prefer the old style soft top or fixed coupe and will be hanging on to their current Z's, or upgrading to the M version for half the price of the nextgen folding top Z.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
glenn
Rep

good viewpoint and i agree and have to admit the folding hardtop is an attractive proposition unless there is a substantial negative beside tradition i don't know ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
good viewpoint and i agree and have to admit the folding hardtop is an attractive proposition unless there is a substantial negative beside tradition i don't know ?
Mainly greater electro-mechanical complexity and the added longterm costs associated with such systems. I don't know how well the E93 top has held up so far, but the Benz tops have a tendency to be troublesome as they age.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
glenn
Rep

yes this could be over time for sure depending on the use but i subscribe to a SLK forum and the owners seem to really like the retractable hardtop with not too many complaints. Wouldn't the deterioration of the canvas be a similar problem ? Do you fell trhe new Z convertable hardtop is a better design than the SLK ? I know Lexus is coming out with one in 2010 on their IS and they have had the SC430 for quite awhile. I guess true roadster tradition would be against this but i think due to a changing audience the retractable hardtop will get more and more popular. I wonder if Porshe and others will ever make that move ?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

You should drive both the Z and the 350 with the tops down. You might find that you don't like the way the wind comes around the 350's windshield and hits you in the side of the head.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
glenn
Rep

this is a great point and wind and noise are a factor as i will be probably driving more with the top down than up. What about wearing googles like an old bi-plane pilot
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

What's important to you, what are you looking for in a car? If you're looking for a car which looks sporty, has some creature comforts, and has some handling/performance, then the two seater cars like the SLK, new Z4, and Lexus SC, give you that. If you're serious about performance, you need to look somewhere else. Once you decide what your priorities are, your selections narrow and your choices becomes much easier.
      04-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Virginia Bill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 auto Maldive Blue

One other difference: the folding hardtop cuts into trunk room. The new Z4 isn't as bad as the SLK, but it's still worse than my soft-top Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
this is a great point and wind and noise are a factor as i will be probably driving more with the top down than up. What about wearing googles like an old bi-plane pilot
Even with the top up the noise level is pretty high! I am currently driving a loaner 328i and it's N times quietter and more comfortable than my Zed. A windblocker will reduce the turbulance but there's nothing you can do about the noise. It makes the driving more exciting though
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
glenn
Rep

exactly and yes my 328i is very quiet but a different animal than a roadster. I am here at the beach in Southern California so probably wont do a lot of interstate driving. On that note how is the Z4 as far as quiet on the interstate and does it fend well on long trips comfort wise ? I have been looking at the Z4, SLK and SC430 and probably the SC is the most comfortable on long trips but not exciting ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Quote:
exactly and yes my 328i is very quiet but a different animal than a roadster. I am here at the beach in Southern California so probably wont do a lot of interstate driving. On that note how is the Z4 as far as quiet on the interstate and does it fend well on long trips comfort wise ? I have been looking at the Z4, SLK and SC430 and probably the SC is the most comfortable on long trips but not exciting ?
You are in SoCal and don't drive on the highways a lot? I live in LA and drive the 405 and 10 regularly. Either way, city or highway driving, the noise level will be higher than 328i and comfort level lower. The seats are not as "plush" and the ride is certainly bumpier.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #17
glenn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
You are in SoCal and don't drive on the highways a lot? I live in LA and drive the 405 and 10 regularly. Either way, city or highway driving, the noise level will be higher than 328i and comfort level lower. The seats are not as "plush" and the ride is certainly bumpier.
i guess that is true of any convertable although i tried the 3 series convertable and that felt really good. After driving all the roadsters i thought i was driving a Bently convertable ! The back seat is very practical alsoi but it is not the roadster experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
GLF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4, 3.0si SILVER

Quote:
I am a nut, but road trips are what the roadsters are about. Drove my 03 Z4 2.5 4600 miles in 10 days last spring to the northwest. Just drove my 06 z4 3.0si to Southern Calif in Jan. Both trips I stayed off the freeways as much as possible. Getting ready for a trip to north east late next month. A whole lot of fun with top down. Oh, I am in my 70's so comfort is a must.
      04-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I had a 05 SLK55 for a time, currently drive a E46 M3 coupe, and am currently in the market for a M roadster.

All I can say is drive both and you will know which one you want. The hardtop in the SLK was great...period. Top up it really felt like a coupe, top down it was a vert. Storage with the top down isn't that bad as two can go on a weekend trip without any problems. Yes you have to think on how to pack the trunk but you can do it.

Steering on the SLK to way too slow and the steering wheel too big for my tastes. It takes the "driving feel" down a few notches. Also my 55 was only offered in the auto, while a fantastic auto, it is still an auto. If you like them you will love it, if you like a clutch then it will be odd.

Personally I feel the build quality is a tad better than my E46...can't really compare to the Z4 as I haven't owned one for long term. The maintenance costs of SLK55 AMG vs. my M3 seem a bit less as well. The "big service" was like $700 for it and an inspection II for my M was $2200.

Anyway, like I said in the beginning, to me it is pretty clear cut after you drive them. The feel is a good bit different.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
Virginia Bill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 auto Maldive Blue

I agree fully with GLF: the Z4 does fine on road trips. In absolute terms it *is* stiffer than a 3-series or an SLK. But that's more about handling than comfort. The z4 rides bigger than it is because leg, hip, shoulder, and head room are generous. It's also quiet. We (wife and I) did 2000 miles last Christmas with no problems. We talked, listened to music, and got through a novel on disk without problems. The Z4 is fine cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #21
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

FWIW, BMW Toronto is offering $15,000 off of all in stock new "old" Z4's. So combination of economy and new model retail prices of old ones are plummeting,

dave
Appreciate 0