BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Any 6MT'ers running 4.10 diff?

I've read about a bunch of happy owners with DCT and a new Dinan diff. Is there any 6MT guys who've swapped out the rear for the Dinan 4.10 ?

If so how is it? I'm thinking this would be a great upgrade for me with a street driven car that is 85% city 15% highway. I find cruising around town it's hard to high enough in the RPM range without going to fast. I imagine acceleration is greatly improved with this change and helps keep you in a higher RPM range where this engine is really making its power?

I just wish it wasn't so expensive

Any comments from those who have it?
      04-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

+1 I would also like to know. This is most likely going to be my next mod but not for a few months if not next spring.

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List

I heard Dinan has a demo car, 6MT with 4.10 diff. Maybe those who test drove it can share...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I've read about a bunch of happy owners with DCT and a new Dinan diff. Is there any 6MT guys who've swapped out the rear for the Dinan 4.10 ?

If so how is it? I'm thinking this would be a great upgrade for me with a street driven car that is 85% city 15% highway. I find cruising around town it's hard to high enough in the RPM range without going to fast. I imagine acceleration is greatly improved with this change and helps keep you in a higher RPM range where this engine is really making its power?

I just wish it wasn't so expensive

Any comments from those who have it?
I love mine. I'm approaching 1,200 miles on it and will have the lube swapped out next week. The torque gain is between 6% and 7% and you feel it immediately. Cruising in stop and go traffic is actually easier because you stay in second so long as you're moving. I only shift to 1st if I stop.

The real fun is the flexibility in 3d and 4th, where it really squirts. Of course, you gain in 6th gear also.

I bought mine mainly because I plan to autocross and think that the 2d and 3d gear flexibility will be very useful.

There's a slight gear whine on the overrun, but it's low in volume and not annoying to me. You can hear it, but only when coasting. I'm curious to see if the permanent fluid changes it at all. Of course your gas mileage will fall exactly the percentage of the FD ration change.

If you can afford the gas and the install cost, then I'd highly recommend it.

BTW, buy through a BMW dealer and ask for a discount. Also, look to see if Dinan is running a rebate offer also. I got just under 40% discount, when combined with the Dinan rebate. The dealer makes out like a bandit on the install, but they're likely deal on the unit cost. Dinan will charge you full list price if you order it yourself. I found that BMW dealer purchase and install was cheaper than I could have done it with an independent installer.

Dave
      04-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
MTrizzy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

thanks for the information... I just started looking into this and will probably order within a week or two.... fyi DINAN is 15% off this month... and I met Steve Dinan at atspeedmotorsports last night...according to him this is the best bang for the buck for the m3.

http://www.atspeedmotorsports.com/

AW E92 M3|E92 LuX|Piaa GTX H3| Rear Fog Light Mod | Ventureshield (Raja)
|Eisenmann Race Exhaust |Macht Schnell Filter | Black Grills | Black Sides | H&R Springs | Fabspeed X-Pipe & High Flow Cats| CF VRS II rep diffuser|Most powerful Scoops in the world|

Last edited by MTrizzy; 04-07-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I did the throttle bodies and 4.10 at the same time. I'll put it on the dyno next week to see the hp vs. torque gains over my baseline stock readings of 333 whp. One thing you know for sure with the 4.10 is that you'll gain over 6% in rear wheel torque, no if ands or buts.

Dave
      04-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

dcstep, thanks for the feedback. Do you find while cruising around town it's easier to stay in the main power band of this car? Do you notice if you're getting into the upper range of RPMs more on acceleration?

Where I live, if I'm not on the highway, by the time I hit 8,000 RPM in second gear I'm already far over the posted speed limit. Sometimes it's hard to get the good hard accelerating power to the ground immediately and by the time it's there I'm already speeding. This would be my main reason for changing out the diff. Top speed is totally unnecessary for me.
      04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You do NOT gain power switching to the shorter gears.
Dyno should be come out at similar power level if you compare on wheel speed vs hp chart.

Think of it as compressing powerband, in car's like M3(w/wide powerband engine) can benefit from shorter final drive.

But I still think M3 has pretty short gearing for V8, esp on 1st gear.
I don't want to have too short 1st gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

You don't gain power from the engine. But you do gain torque at the rear wheels. Also it will move the RPM range you are staying in at a certain speed. The point would be without changing your speed you can keep the car in it's optimum RPM range. It should also help acceleration off the line while at the same time decreasing wheel spin.
      04-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

I agree with the first gear comment though. I think it's almost too low as it is. I think it would be better to have a higher first gear and a lower diff gear
      04-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
A solution to our insanely long gears.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
dcstep, thanks for the feedback. Do you find while cruising around town it's easier to stay in the main power band of this car? Do you notice if you're getting into the upper range of RPMs more on acceleration?

Where I live, if I'm not on the highway, by the time I hit 8,000 RPM in second gear I'm already far over the posted speed limit. Sometimes it's hard to get the good hard accelerating power to the ground immediately and by the time it's there I'm already speeding. This would be my main reason for changing out the diff. Top speed is totally unnecessary for me.
Well, it's only a little over a 6% change, so you'll only be going 6% slower when you hit 8-grand. The speed limit here in Colorado is 75 and I only redline it a few times per week on the street. I do tend to keep it near 4-grand and it's more responsive in all gear; however, it not going to dratically change which gear your in. It IS easy to keep it on it's power band.

I think you'll find it more satisfactory, BUT I'm worried that you're expecting too much change. You generally will be in the same gears, but the rpm will be nearer the torque peak most of the time.

It helps dead starts and acceleration from rolling starts, but speed dependent. It's NOT going to keep you from speeding at 8000 rpm.

Dave
      04-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You generally will be in the same gears, but the rpm will be nearer the torque peak most of the time.
This is exactly what I'm expecting from it. It's not that big of a change from stock 3.85 to 4.10. So I'm not expecting something drastically different. My feeling is that BMW puts the FD a little bit high from the factory to help with MPG.

Do you feel that first gear is too low now?
      04-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
You do NOT gain power switching to the shorter gears.
Dyno should be come out at similar power level if you compare on wheel speed vs hp chart.

Think of it as compressing powerband, in car's like M3(w/wide powerband engine) can benefit from shorter final drive.

But I still think M3 has pretty short gearing for V8, esp on 1st gear.
I don't want to have too short 1st gear.
The definitive difference is that it increases average power output over time (assuming you do a WOT run through the gears). The increase in average power output is much lower than the increased of in-gear torque.

One issue is that increasing your FD means you will have more frequent gear changes. On the DCT transmission this is not an issue because they are so fast. But on the MT transmission, there will be a penalty especially at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Do you feel that first gear is too low now?
You only need it if you're not rolling. For non-performance driving, I generally run it up to 5-grand in 1st and then jump to 3d.

I always thought it was kind of short and now it's shorter. I think it's another mpg vs. acceleration tradeoff. It's low to give us a nice jump. Still, in the context of using the whole 8400 rpm, it's not low, but for daily driving it seems that way, unless you don't mind running up to 5-grand, which I don't.

Dave
      04-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Would this mod be suggested over an ECU tune? I'm thinking this will be more noticeable and guaranteed results. I won't have to mess with my ECU or worry about any warranty issues. I'm thinking this is going to be my next mod.... Then if I decide I need more ECU would be second.
      04-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
BTW, buy through a BMW dealer and ask for a discount. Also, look to see if Dinan is running a rebate offer also. I got just under 40% discount, when combined with the Dinan rebate. The dealer makes out like a bandit on the install, but they're likely deal on the unit cost. Dinan will charge you full list price if you order it yourself. I found that BMW dealer purchase and install was cheaper than I could have done it with an independent installer.

Dave
Did you get yours done at Gephardt? Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison if we ever get good enough weather for a ride. (1-2 feet due tomorrow...)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Did you get yours done at Gephardt? Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison if we ever get good enough weather for a ride. (1-2 feet due tomorrow...)
Got mine a Co's in Loveland.

I'm afraid that Saturday's AX will be a bust. I'm ready if the weather people are wrong again, but it's not looking good...

I plan to run all the AXs that fit my schedule. Right now the only exclusion is May.

Dave
      04-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #19
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Dave. Saturday will almost surely be snowed out, shame. Looking forward to hearing your exhaust as well (trying to decide what to get...)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #20
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I'm travelling a lot the next couple of weeks, but we could grab a coffee if you're anywhere near 25 and Belleview. We could make a little run so that you could hear it and feel the acceleration.

I'll probably get my dyno runs done next week also.

Dave
      04-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #21
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, appreciate it. I will PM you in a couple weeks. Hope you get the auto-X in this weekend (borrow my snows!)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Still got my friggin snows on!!!

I can't believe that the guys in Minneapolis and Chicago were taking theirs off a month ago.

Dave