BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood on SGM

Okay guys I don't have time for a detailed post, so I'll try to do that later, but I wanted to get you guys some pics.
Attached Images

Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
WOW! It looks GREAT! the color is perfect on a SGM! From what I can see, it fit perfectly as well.

Thanks for the pics. Can't wait for a detail review (on the build quality and install)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

wow, nice! how hard was the install?
      04-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Looks great!
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Not sure I like carbon fiber on dark colors, but the fitment looks great though!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

fitment looks great, seibon quality for sure. any plans to paint it?
      04-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Anymore shots from further back like the last one?? I think it looks cool how the light hits it.. different shades of light on SGM in general make it look all over the place

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Looks great!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Fitment looks great...how much lighter is it than stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
wow, nice! how hard was the install?
Install really wasn't too hard, but given the bulk you are going to need a friend or two. One problem I had was the air shocks seemed to overextend a big once disconnected, so the hood didn't really want to close when I got everything hooked up. I ended having a friend help push them down while I closed the hood and that seemed to do it.

The other problem I had is that I wasn't having much luck aligning the hood. I ended up running down to the shop my friend works at and they were able to do it.

I also still haven't installed the emblem and washer nozzles. I think I'm going to have to do some filling to get the nozzles installed though. I tried just installing them and they clips weren't pushing through enough to hook on the underside. I'll have to file down the underside a few 100ths on an inch and it should be enough. As for the emblem I was just going to transfer over my stock one, but I think I might just get some new CF ones.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arok View Post
fitment looks great, seibon quality for sure. any plans to paint it?
No plans to paint. While I've seems some great paint jobs on CF hoods I guess I just like the look of the CF too much to paint over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #12
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
Anymore shots from further back like the last one?? I think it looks cool how the light hits it.. different shades of light on SGM in general make it look all over the place
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take some more pics from different angles farther back.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
Fitment looks great...how much lighter is it than stock?
I'm not really sure how much lighter it is. I weighed the CF hood and if I remember correctly it was 25 lbs. I haven't weighed the stock one, but I'd guess I saved 10-15 lbs. Not a huge amount, but it is noticeable when lifting them.

As for the fitment it is pretty good, but it's not perfect. The gaps on the front and the lines in the back are good. The gaps on the side are totally fine, but it would be nice if they were a little smaller. The one problem is that it doesn't sit quite flush with the fenders towards the front of the hood. This problem seems to be a little worse on the passenger side and even after adjusting it quite a bit we could get it to sit flush. I'd say it's something like 1/8-1/4 inch above the fender. Nothing you would notice when looking at it unless you were really closer or actually feeling the gaps.

Overall I'm very happy with the way it's matched the SGM and I can't wait to get some more CF pieces on this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Install really wasn't too hard, but given the bulk you are going to need a friend or two. One problem I had was the air shocks seemed to overextend a big once disconnected, so the hood didn't really want to close when I got everything hooked up. I ended having a friend help push them down while I closed the hood and that seemed to do it.

The other problem I had is that I wasn't having much luck aligning the hood. I ended up running down to the shop my friend works at and they were able to do it.

I also still haven't installed the emblem and washer nozzles. I think I'm going to have to do some filling to get the nozzles installed though. I tried just installing them and they clips weren't pushing through enough to hook on the underside. I'll have to file down the underside a few 100ths on an inch and it should be enough. As for the emblem I was just going to transfer over my stock one, but I think I might just get some new CF ones.
so was it just hard to close the first time or do the shocks do that every time, i am guessing if they do it's because of the lighter load of the CF hood
      04-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
so was it just hard to close the first time or do the shocks do that every time, i am guessing if they do it's because of the lighter load of the CF hood
The first time it didn't want to close at all, but once I got it closed that first time it's just slightly harder because of the lack of weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Here's some more pics for you guys. The last two show the area where the fitment isn't quite perfect.

Oh yeah, sorry about the quality guys these were all taken with my phone (Shameless plug: the new Sidekick LX, check it out).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

does it have anything to do with those rubber things you can twist to adjust the height at which it closes?
      04-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arok View Post
does it have anything to do with those rubber things you can twist to adjust the height at which it closes?
I don't think so. We adjusted them quite a bit and event if you put that all the way in it still doesn't sit down far enough. All I can do with those rubber stops in raise it up more. If I put pressure on the top of the hood I can push it down so it sits flush, but there is nothing to hold it there. It seems that the hood is just slightly warped or something that prevents it from coming down enough on those corners. But like I said it really isn't noticeable unless you get right next to it or feel the gaps. The line of the fender kind of flows into it. Sure I would like it to sit flush, but I'm still very happy with the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I don't think so. We adjusted them quite a bit and event if you put that all the way in it still doesn't sit down far enough. All I can do with those rubber stops in raise it up more. If I put pressure on the top of the hood I can push it down so it sits flush, but there is nothing to hold it there. It seems that the hood is just slightly warped or something that prevents it from coming down enough on those corners. But like I said it really isn't noticeable unless you get right next to it or feel the gaps. The line of the fender kind of flows into it. Sure I would like it to sit flush, but I'm still very happy with the hood.
Thats a deal killer for me. Just knowing it sits up higher would draw my eyes to it every time I walked up to the car. If I am going to spend half a G or more then I want perfect fitment....thats just me though. Still like the color contrast though. I think I will wait for whatever Vorsteiner brings our way.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Thats a deal killer for me. Just knowing it sits up higher would draw my eyes to it every time I walked up to the car. If I am going to spend half a G or more then I want perfect fitment....thats just me though. Still like the color contrast though. I think I will wait for whatever Vorsteiner brings our way.
I totally understand that. It really bugged me at first, but it's not something I notice most of the time. We'll see how I feel about it after some time.

I'm also interested in what Vorsteiner comes out with. If they do something with vents that it's quite as busy as the Seibon one I might make the switch, but for now I've very happy with what I have. Now I just need to get some more CF pieces to compliment it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #21
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Is it normal for the CF to have wrinkles in it like that? I've never really looked at a lot of CF hoods before so I dont know if thats normal or not.

Thanks.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
Is it normal for the CF to have wrinkles in it like that? I've never really looked at a lot of CF hoods before so I dont know if thats normal or not.

Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by wrinkles because the surface is totally smooth. Are you thinking about the weave? Or maybe it's just the way the light is reflecting off the surface.
Appreciate 0