BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
haglem
Rep
Drives: 09 128I

Cool My first 5000 Miles

I would have to say that I am both impressed and only very slightly disappointed with my 128i. But definately overall happy

Impressed because of the obvious key traits of the little corner ripper. Great handling, smooth acceleration, superb feel while running through the gears, and solid feel in my car. I love the sound system, though miss my subwoofer from my previous car. And I feel as though this car wasn't made to compete in luxury with the rest of the BMW lineup. Yes you can get the nice packages to make your world a better place, but this car wasn't meant to have those things in my opinion. I compare it to owning a two seat roadster and being upset that you don't have more space for your luggage. From what I've read, this car was meant to be the next gen BMW 2002 from yester-year. I corner tearing tire ripping drivin machine!

So anyway, my wife wouldn't let me get the 135i because she didn't want me to have another car like my modded 03WRX. Which I admit being here in Europe and I was stationed in Spain for 3 years, I did have the opportunity to do some pretty stupid stuff with that car. Racing through the mountains, racing porsches and corvettes and such. None to bright I admit, but fun. I did try to point out that both the 128i and 135i with the sport package were both governed to 155...there-bouts. I tried but in the end I let her win like I always do.

I am only disappointed about a couple of things. First off the torque. Only 200tq isn't enough to get me excited. It's adequate, but not enough to rip my face off when i drop the clutch. It doesn't really take too much away from the fun factor, but I would definately love to see about 50tq more on it. Come on that engine can take it! And though the DTC and DSC are very nice technological items, I can't say that I really like them. True they handle pretty well when you hit a curve a little "too" hard, but what about when you're stopped and you need to get out of the way REALLY quickly because some idiot's not watching the red light in front of him. You want to be able to tear out of the way without worrying that the DTC will kick on and real you in. True it doesn't happen that often, but it's happend to me more then a couple times over the years and it's always in the back of my head. Maybe i'm just nit-picking a bit but just like everyone else we've all got an opinion.

Ok..so, now I live in Germany and have flown down the autobahn at breakneck speeds. At 150+ mph she feels very solid, and like I can stay at that speed all day long. I've drivin in snow...(which prompted me to buy the snow tire and rim package from tirerack)...lots of rain...and an equal amount of dry roads, both straight line and the twisties in the mountains by Heidelberg. She kept pace with the new Charger R/T, handed an Audi 2.7 Diesel it's butt, and turned more then a few heads here in Heidelberg. Mostly because the only version they have of this car in the coupe is a diesel. No difference otherwise. Other 116, 118, and 123 owners with the hatch back here in Europe all take a second look at the 128I on the back and I can only imagine what they think when they see a 135I rolling by.

I do look forward to some bolt on upgrades in 2 years or less, exhaust, intake, we'll see what rolls out in the next few years. I know I will do something, just not sure what that something is just yet. For now though, I will keep rollin down the autobahn, smiling through the twisties, and shining her up on the weekends....hope you all do the same!!

Matt
2009 128I
Alpine White
Sports Package
Ipod Adapter
Rear Parking Assist
(just the basics)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
excellent - but here in Germany they never really "see" the 135.. as we are moving too damn quick......was that... naaa it wasn't...
      04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

To your DTC issue- press and hold the DTC button to completely disable- its become standard startup procedure for me- in nice weather of course...I like chirping 2nd every now and again
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
haglem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
To your DTC issue- press and hold the DTC button to completely disable- its become standard startup procedure for me- in nice weather of course...I like chirping 2nd every now and again
I do switch it off when I actually think about it. My wife got me a day with the ADAC drivers training guys. I get to go to the track and rip around some corners and they'll teach me more about the technical aspects of driving. Most I already know, but don't get alot of opportunity to "legally" practice the techniques I learned in a previous course. But It should be loads of fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
haglem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
excellent - but here in Germany they never really "see" the 135.. as we are moving too damn quick......was that... naaa it wasn't...
I am a little jealous
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
KathyFG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i coupe 6MT

Haglem:

Sounds like we have similar cars- I have 2009 AW 128i 6MT with sport package, xenons, and that's about it. Pretty much love it- have 2000 miles. Love the acceleration, seems plenty powerful to me (had an Acura RSX-S previously). Glad you're enjoying yours too. Maybe for my NEXT Bimmer--yes, I am already plotting (much to my hubby's chagrin) my next Bimmer--I will go for the 135 6MT (vert?)- Ha Ha. Must be cool to drive it over in Germany- Heidelberg is beautiful. I am in south Florida- flat and hot here. Take care.

Kathy G
2009 AW 128i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyFG View Post
Haglem:

Sounds like we have similar cars- I have 2009 AW 128i 6MT with sport package, xenons, and that's about it. Pretty much love it- have 2000 miles. Love the acceleration, seems plenty powerful to me (had an Acura RSX-S previously). Glad you're enjoying yours too. Maybe for my NEXT Bimmer--yes, I am already plotting (much to my hubby's chagrin) my next Bimmer--I will go for the 135 6MT (vert?)- Ha Ha. Must be cool to drive it over in Germany- Heidelberg is beautiful. I am in south Florida- flat and hot here. Take care.

Kathy G
2009 AW 128i 6MT

hi Kathy, I am in South Florida too! Welcome to the board.

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
haglem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyFG View Post
Haglem:

Kathy G
2009 AW 128i 6MT
I do have loads of fun. I miss the sheer ripping power of the WRX, but the refinement is much nicer with this car. Driving around here is ok. They are still doing construction on alot of the roads. They just started doing construction on 3 of the major roads that I drive on, and 2 of those there isn't speed limits...at least when there's no construction. Now it goes from hair on fire (making the face Will Smith made in MIB when J hit the red button)...to 100Kmh...to 80 then to 60kmh. So now that's just lengthend my 20min ride to 30 overall. Pain in the butt!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Unleaded Gas in Europe?

Out of curiosity, aren't you guys paying out of the nose for the unleaded gas over there in Europe?

I travel to Spain yearly for a few weeks and I always rent diesel, just because the unleaded is so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglem View Post
I am only disappointed about a couple of things. First off the torque. Only 200tq isn't enough to get me excited. It's adequate, but not enough to rip my face off when i drop the clutch. It doesn't really take too much away from the fun factor, but I would definately love to see about 50tq more on it. Come on that engine can take it!
Sounds like you should have got the 135i. An extra 100 hp for about $3000 is a screaming deal and you do not have to deal with warranty void issues. You start adding hp mods on the 128i and you risk loosing the warranty. Sometimes the wife does not understand that and it could cost more in the long run.

Just my 2 cents but it is to late anyway.
      05-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
RGG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

In Germany and many other countries, I believe, BMW Performance offers mods that increase hp and torque on 128 and 135 models. I think it raises hp on the 135i to around 320, and it's all done by BMW so won't affect warranty. Not available in US.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
haglem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksundog View Post
Out of curiosity, aren't you guys paying out of the nose for the unleaded gas over there in Europe?

I travel to Spain yearly for a few weeks and I always rent diesel, just because the unleaded is so expensive.
I'm in the Army stationed here so I get US prices on post. I was stationed in Madrid for 3 years with NATO, (my previous assignment) and my WRX was definately draining the wallet there. Everything we did was on the economy so it was costing about 70Euro's or so to fill up every week. Sometimes more if I drove out of town.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
haglem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
Sounds like you should have got the 135i. An extra 100 hp for about $3000 is a screaming deal and you do not have to deal with warranty void issues. You start adding hp mods on the 128i and you risk loosing the warranty. Sometimes the wife does not understand that and it could cost more in the long run.

Just my 2 cents but it is to late anyway.
Easy to say, but keeping a happy marriage means keeping a happy wife. Had I bought that she'd have killed me. And having that extra power just isn't that important enough to me. They did have a 135 in Kaiserslaughtern at a dealer tuned by AC Snitzer or Schitnzer or something like that. Looked AMAZING!! Body kit...turbo upgrade..lots of goodies...but also 46,000 price tag. Had I a free choice of cars I would have snagged it! I think they still have pictures posted on their website if you're interested in checking it out. http://pentagoncarsales.com/bmw/demo.php
Apparently just got purchased. I'm amazed it lasted that long!
Appreciate 0