BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Powerchip Tune Problem

I ended up getting a powerchip tune a couple of weeks ago. I have been having a problem ever since it was tuned. During hard acceleration there is a grinding noise coming from somewhere. This is only when I am near or at WOT. During regular driving nothing but when I am driving hard it's like a weird noise that sounds harmful. Does anyone have any idea what this is or have any experiences? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
I ended up getting a powerchip tune a couple of weeks ago. I have been having a problem ever since it was tuned. During hard acceleration there is a grinding noise coming from somewhere. This is only when I am near or at WOT. During regular driving nothing but when I am driving hard it's like a weird noise that sounds harmful. Does anyone have any idea what this is or have any experiences? Thanks in advance.
I don't see how a Software tune causes a Grind anywhere..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

^^ Very true.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
sge92
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Is it the motor pinging (i.e. predetonation)? What octane level is the tune meant to run at?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
take it back and let them answer that question ... I heard many "good" stories about PowerChip ... I know one thing that you need to stay away from them
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
take it back and let them answer that question ... I heard many "good" stories about PowerChip ... I know one thing that you need to stay away from them
So you're saying that you've heard a lot of bad stories about PowerChip? Care to elaborate? I would've gone with them, but was turned off by the jack ass over at Evosport....ended up going with AA .
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
+1

I come from a C63 and many people had problems with the Powerchip tune on their C63's. I would recommend you stay away. I know I am.
      05-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
I don't know anything about any software companies but be real here... how can something inside your ECU make noise in the engine department?

Make sure you're pumping 91 gas... If you are, try another gas station.
      05-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
This is purely heresay and not relevant to this thread. If you look at the dyno results of Jonmartin's car, he achieved some very impressive horsepower numbers from the PowerChip custom tune.
+1 I had no problems with my tune and I had it for a good 6k miles never had a Limp, CEL, weird sounds none of that. And when I took it to the track it didn't even hiccup the car ran perfectly. I think to get the best out of you car you need to have it dyno tuned for your mods it will cost more but its worth it and you will def have a problem free car bottomline. Between Niterider and I our cars made the most power on the dyno then any other bolt on M3 (according to the Dyno sheets thread) and we drive crazy so if it was a bad tune or anything we would have known by now for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
I don't know anything about any software companies but be real here... how can something inside your ECU make noise in the engine department?

Make sure you're pumping 91 gas... If you are, try another gas station.
Its not the gas. Nothing but 91 has ever been in my car. I know its the chip because the second I got it I felt it happening. I thought it was normal but I know its not though. To be more clear when your driving hard you could actually feel the accelerator vibrating and a noise coming from somewhere. Doesn't sound good.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
+1 I had no problems with my tune and I had it for a good 6k miles never had a Limp, CEL, weird sounds none of that. And when I took it to the track it didn't even hiccup the car ran perfectly. I think to get the best out of you car you need to have it dyno tuned for your mods it will cost more but its worth it and you will def have a problem free car bottomline. Between Niterider and I our cars made the most power on the dyno then any other bolt on M3 (according to the Dyno sheets thread) and we drive crazy so if it was a bad tune or anything we would have known by now for sure.
+1, no problems heard from any other guys I know with powerchip. I would take it back and have it re-flashed back to stock to make sure this is ur problem. Also check ur air filter, my AFE air filter makes a rattle sound at a certain RPM. IDK how a tune could cause a sound but Ive seen some strange stuff. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
///M3SOME
MFEST'ER 4 LIFE
United_States
Rep
Drives: ONLY M CARS

Quote:
Its not the gas. Nothing but 91 has ever been in my car. I know its the chip because the second I got it I felt it happening. I thought it was normal but I know its not though. To be more clear when your driving hard you could actually feel the accelerator vibrating and a noise coming from somewhere. Doesn't sound good.
a grinding noise from a software tune and you say you felt it asoon as you got the chip correct? how come you didnt turn around and drive back to get the issue looked at??? also why haven't you called powerchip about your problem yet??? your hear a grinding noise blame it on the software and dont call them to try and correct the problem for a few weeks, i smell say your not one of the guys that ran off with the powerchip tune at mfest3 are you???
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
+1

I come from a C63 and many people had problems with the Powerchip tune on their C63's. I would recommend you stay away. I know I am.
Since you have owned both.
I am curious your overview of the two cars?
B
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
This is purely heresay and not relevant to this thread. If you look at the dyno results of Jonmartin's car, he achieved some very impressive horsepower numbers from the PowerChip custom tune.
I think dyno results have nothing to do with weird sound in his engine ... he is not complaining about power loss ... but this is just my thought
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #15
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahh.... more snake oil from one of the idiots that tried to get away with a free tune at Bimmerfest...

You are foolhardy to even try and remotely point a "grinding noise" at a software tune.... We all know how many moving parts those powerchips have. Take your car to the dealer and stop starting crap.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0