BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Question Will these AWESOME AA mods break my M3?

Hello everyone!!! I'm very close to ordering/buying my E90 M3, and I have been doing a ton of research on the mods I'll be doing when I finally have my M3. So far I'm very impressed with Active Autowerke's product line, and I've heard/read about countless number of extremely happy and satisfied customers of AA. I've almost for sure decided that I'll be getting the AA Signature Exhaust System, AA X-pipe (catless), AA Signature Pulley, AA Performance Air Filter, AA Short Short Shifter Kit, and the AA Performance Software upgrade. Well, here are my questions and concerns:

Will these mods hurt the stock components in a very negative way? I mean, will the extra power that I'll be making destroy the stock clutch quickly or will the extra power hurt the M3's transmission at all? The reason why I ask this is because I previously did very similar mods to my previous car, and the clutch went out within a 1K miles, and then soon after, the transmission was giving me some problems. I really want to get all these mods, but I'm taking out a good amount of my savings in order to get these mods...And I really don't want to spend any more money on things such as the stock clutch. So what's everyone's honest opinion on my concern? Thank you for any help/opinion possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

NO, your talking about bolt ons. People have supercharged their motors and done a stroker kit as well. Some or most are using stock clutches I believe.

If you do all the AA mods (ECU, exhaust, x pipe, air filter), your going to make nice gains for sure, but nothing to worry about as far as your clutch or engine wear will go.

Not sure what your previous car was, but no car should be killing a clutch in 1k miles
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
NO, your talking about bolt ons. People have supercharged their motors and done a stroker kit as well. Some or most are using stock clutches I believe.

If you do all the AA mods (ECU, exhaust, x pipe, air filter), your going to make nice gains for sure, but nothing to worry about as far as your clutch or engine wear will go.

Not sure what your previous car was, but no car should be killing a clutch in 1k miles
The previous car was a '06 Evo IX MR. I had a catless 3 inch exhaust, an electronic boost controller, and a stock ECU reflash.....But I think turbocharged cars respond much better to mods, compared to naturally aspirated cars. And plus I guess Mitsu makes a pretty lousy stock clutch for an Evo.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Of all those, the SSK would be my first mod. The car has plenty of power, but the throws are a little long for me.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
BMWDEMON
Super modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3

Your car will be fine with the bolt ons like Slammed said...I just received 3/4 of the kit you bought (minus SSK and filter - I got the AWE filter) and it looks like I'll at least be installing the x-pipe and exhaust on Friday!

M
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Of all those, the SSK would be my first mod. The car has plenty of power, but the throws are a little long for me.
yup, I've heard that the throws are long also on the M3....But when I test drove the 6 speed manual, it felt ok to me though. Maybe I need to test it more to see...?... At the end, I may get the SSK anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON View Post
Your car will be fine with the bolt ons like Slammed said...I just received 3/4 of the kit you bought (minus SSK and filter - I got the AWE filter) and it looks like I'll at least be installing the x-pipe and exhaust on Friday!

M
Thanks for the reassurance man. I just wanna' be confident in my mods when I get it all done.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

As everyone has said... the answer is no. AA parts are made to preserve stock functionality and will not harm your car in ANY way.... except maybe making the tires wear out faster

let us know if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^^Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

If you're worried about making such a big investment into mods, maybe you should wait until you actually get the car first to decide what mods you really want/need. You might feel that once you have the car you don't really need 1 or 2 things. Its always nice to know the baseline of what you're actually modding and what the expected benefits are before you do it. If the costs outweigh the benefits, maybe its not worth it.
      05-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
As everyone has said... the answer is no. AA parts are made to preserve stock functionality and will not harm your car in ANY way.... except maybe making the tires wear out faster

let us know if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The only way I can see you blowing your clutch is if you are hard on it. The parts in and of themselves will not contribute to excessive clutch wear. With that said, with the added power, you may be inclined to run the car hard
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If you're worried about making such a big investment into mods, maybe you should wait until you actually get the car first to decide what mods you really want/need. You might feel that once you have the car you don't really need 1 or 2 things. Its always nice to know the baseline of what you're actually modding and what the expected benefits are before you do it. If the costs outweigh the benefits, maybe its not worth it.
Yes, but I've already decided that I will do the entire pkg of basic mods....And then I will be finished with modding. My goal is to give it a good improvement in power, sound, and overall feel of driving. My "very near future" E90 M3 will be with me for at least 5 good years. So I'll take your advice and plan this "modding thingy" much more carefully. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The only way I can see you blowing your clutch is if you are hard on it. The parts in and of themselves will not contribute to excessive clutch wear. With that said, with the added power, you may be inclined to run the car hard
You have a great point. My main issue is if the stock clutch can easily hold the extra power that the mods will give me....Some cars' stock clutch can't hold a slight boost in power....And therefore the stock clutch goes slippin' all over the place.

Last edited by Nawaaz; 05-05-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Be careful because the car will most likely explode
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
Be careful because the car will most likely explode
uha...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
yup, I've heard that the throws are long also on the M3....But when I test drove the 6 speed manual, it felt ok to me though. Maybe I need to test it more to see...?... At the end, I may get the SSK anyways.

Thanks for the reassurance man. I just wanna' be confident in my mods when I get it all done.

I'm camparing it to my old E36 M3 with a Stygar/M-coupe shifter in it. I think it makes the biggest diffence in how the car feels. You could do the exhaust install at the same time since you need to drop the exhaust to install the SSK.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'm camparing it to my old E36 M3 with a Stygar/M-coupe shifter in it. I think it makes the biggest diffence in how the car feels. You could do the exhaust install at the same time since you need to drop the exhaust to install the SSK.
I read that if I go with the SSK on the e90 M3, then it will reduce any notchiness. I guess I can expect the shifts to be much smoother and much more crisp. I hope that I'll get that same improved feeling as you did when you did the SSK upgrade on your e36 M3. Oh yeah, I'm planning on doing all the mods at the same time. I'll receive some great help on the total install.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Yeah man, definitely get the exhaust (and X-pipe) installed at the same time as the SSK, it will cost less money lol
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

if ur really worried about ur clutch spend the extra 1k on the maintenance plan for three years and every clutch is covered and brakes. problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Just as a heads up, these cars have a twin-disc clutch that is probably much better than what came in your old Evo. That, and you really aren't adding that much extra power with an exhaust and tune. If you were doing forced induction or serious internal engine work, then I might be concerned. I have not sensed one bit of slip in mine, even when giving the car a good thrashing. Cannot say the same for the clutch that came in the E39 M5s, though . I think BMW learned their lesson on that one.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
if ur really worried about ur clutch spend the extra 1k on the maintenance plan for three years and every clutch is covered and brakes. problem solved.
I can spend that extra money on the extended maintenence plan, but I bet BMW will somehow figure out that I did a software upgrade and so and so. You know how dealers find ways to turn you down. Even if I clear all my mods out of the way, they'll still tell me there's no way in the world that a stock M3 clutch can go out that fast...Or they'll say that I have abused the clutch, or the tranny, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Just as a heads up, these cars have a twin-disc clutch that is probably much better than what came in your old Evo. That, and you really aren't adding that much extra power with an exhaust and tune. If you were doing forced induction or serious internal engine work, then I might be concerned. I have not sensed one bit of slip in mine, even when giving the car a good thrashing. Cannot say the same for the clutch that came in the E39 M5s, though . I think BMW learned their lesson on that one.

Andy
I hope you're right on this one my man Andy....Cuz' I really want to do these mods after I get my car.
Appreciate 0