BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Opinions on AA 6MT launch rpm setting?

I am going to be sending my DME out to AA to have their software installed probably next week. One of the things I am really looking forward to (other than the increased mid-range power) is the stationary rpm limiter or launch control feature.

I have done a little testing on my own, but wanted to get some opinions from you guys on what the best setting would be (as far as rpm) to have AA set my DME to. They (AA) recommend 4000 rpm, but my car always blows off the tires at 4K and results in a poor 0-60 time. Even if I try to feather the throttle, 4000 always seems like too much. 3500 rpm seems like the best setting to me, at least from what my testing has revealed. I get a little spin, but it hooks up soon enough and results in good acceleration where as a 4000 rpm launch just shoots the rpms to the rev limiter. 3000 rpm is almost not enough and sometimes results in bogging the engine a bit.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the 3500 rpm setting right now. It will be nice to just be able to put my right foot down, let out the clutch and go without drama.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
During the "Project PencilGeek" tests, I had AA set mine to 3500 RPMs. I went with 3500 because like you, I thought 4000 was too high. After using it a bit, I concluded that 3500 was too low. I got sluggish launches because the RPMs weren't high enough. I always imagined what my launches would be like if I had followed their advice, and used 4000 RPMs.

Maybe there's a compromise in there: maybe 3700 or 3800 RPMs.

Hmmmm...... decisions, decisions. Maybe 3750 would be the prefect compromise. I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs here, but what good is a launch mode feature if it doesn't work well at getting the car moving quickly. Although, I would rather risk having slightly sluggish launches that were consistant than launches that could be faster at times with the risk of seriously burning off the tires. I'm just thinking about if I were to want to use it at, say, a stoplight. Wouldn't want to be getting sideways through the intersection

BTW, do you know what rpm the DCT cars leave at when using the launch mode? We used the feature in a friend's car, but I cannot remember the details other than how the car left. I would call it more of a "burnout mode" than a "launch mode".
Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Hmmmm...... decisions, decisions. Maybe 3750 would be the prefect compromise. I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs here, but what good is a launch mode feature if it doesn't work well at getting the car moving quickly. Although, I would rather risk having slightly sluggish launches that were consistant than launches that could be faster at times with the risk of seriously burning off the tires. I'm just thinking about if I were to want to use it at, say, a stoplight. Wouldn't want to be getting sideways through the intersection

BTW, do you know what rpm the DCT cars leave at when using the launch mode? We used the feature in a friend's car, but I cannot remember the details other than how the car left. I would call it more of a "burnout mode" than a "launch mode".
Andy
\\

DCT cars are pretty high. Up in the 5Ks, but I think it is a different game when it comes to the DCT tranny cars. I am interested in this also as I am also doing the software as well as the pulley. Will you be doing the pulley at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

Andy
Default on DCT is 5500. The car does launch ok at this rpm. The real burnout occurs when you just romp on the gas (DSC off) and the engine revs to ~4k and dumps the clutch. Massive wheelspin for sure. So the launch control does control wheelspin a little bit (in spite of the higher rpms) but not dramatically different.

BC
      05-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

So us 6MT cars can have a launch control of sorts with tuning? I had no idea!
      05-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

someone on here did a 5000rpm launch and said there was no wheel slip/hop
      05-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
So us 6MT cars can have a launch control of sorts with tuning? I had no idea!

The DME already has the system in place, it just needs to be adjusted to make it a "launch control" feature. It is a stationary rpm limiter that is set to 6000 rpm at the factory (I could be wrong but that is where the E46 M3 was set). AA just brings it down to 4000 rpm effectively turning it into a launch mode for us 6 speed owners.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
someone on here did a 5000rpm launch and said there was no wheel slip/hop

My car would spin the sh%$ out of the tires at 5000 rpm. The DCT launch mode is supposed to control tire spin electronically; all you need to do is keep your foot to the floor. Launching a 6MT at 5000 rpm full-throttle would not be the best way to accelerate fast, IMO.

I checked out Road & Track's M3 road test details to see what they did. They got their 4.1 second 0-60 time by launching at 3900 rpm and "quickly releasing the clutch while rolling into the throttle". I think I will take their advise since they do this crap for a living.

Think I might do 3750, right between 3500 and 4000.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
\\

DCT cars are pretty high. Up in the 5Ks, but I think it is a different game when it comes to the DCT tranny cars. I am interested in this also as I am also doing the software as well as the pulley. Will you be doing the pulley at the same time?

I am considering doing the pulley as well, but it doesn't have to be right now. I know it will result in more impressive gains if I do both at the same time, but I think I would rather experience the 2 by themselves to really observe the changes. A bunch of companies are making pullies and most are cheaper than AA. Not sure which one I will go with yet.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

In my opinion it's best to modulate with your right foot. That way you can vary it to any RPM you like. It will also give you more feel/control than having your foot just pinned to the floor. I'd say go for the AA tune, but leave out the LC option.
      05-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

I have my setting at 3700rpms. I put the car about 3/4 throttle and slip the clutch slowly with my left foot while putting the accelerator slowly to the ground to control wheel spin. I think anything above 3700rpms would be too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I have my setting at 3700rpms. I put the car about 3/4 throttle and slip the clutch slowly with my left foot while putting the accelerator slowly to the ground to control wheel spin. I think anything above 3700rpms would be too much.

That is what I was looking for. I might tell them to set it to 3700 or 3750.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
In my opinion it's best to modulate with your right foot. That way you can vary it to any RPM you like. It will also give you more feel/control than having your foot just pinned to the floor. I'd say go for the AA tune, but leave out the LC option.

I definitely want the launch setting. It will just make it that much easier to hit the right rpm at launch and keep my eyes on the road. Once you have the right rpm dialed in, it is just a matter of clutch release technique and the speed you roll into the throttle. I don't think I will have my foot to the floor on the limiter; just enough to hold that rpm until I release the clutch.

Also, the limiter is not going to have any effect if I am taking off below 4k and I don't see myself ever wanting to launch above 4K from the testing I have done.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Hmmm...Interesting.
Appreciate 0