BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Angry Recall on Idle Valve

Have you guys heard anything about Recall on Idle Valve on our cars ?

This is what was on iDrive ( Engine Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Reduce power) all the good stuff ... M-DCT wouldn't shift over 2nd gear and the engine became kind of paralyzed (limited only to 4,500 RMP)

any ideas what it might be ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Have you guys heard anything about Recall on Idle Valve on our cars ?

This is what was on iDrive ( Engine Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Reduce power) all the good stuff ... M-DCT wouldn't shift over 2nd gear and the engine became kind of paralyzed (limited only to 4,500 RMP)

any ideas what it might be ?
Havent experienced this yet
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Sounds like that you've got that problem.

It's not a recall though it's a service bulletin (dealers are notified but owners are not). Though if this keeps up it may become a recall.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

i found something similar on m3forum

here
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Sounds like that you've got that problem.

It's not a recall though it's a service bulletin (dealers are notified but owners are not). Though if this keeps up it may become a recall.
apparently not all dealers are notified
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
The notification is in whatever the system is called, but some dealers are... lazy. Too lazy to do their research.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I washed my car and then when I was backing it up I got that battery of errors ..Engine Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Reduce power .. I quickly turned the car off. I then turned the car on and the error went away....hasn't come back since..I hope it stays that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
I've heard of it. See post 17 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252758

There's an SIB--but I don't know the number. However, it looks like the poster of post 17 has the SIB number if you haven't found it yet.

On that same thread post 20 states that it could also be the fuel rails instead of or in addition to the idle control valve. Probably good to keep that in mind as FStop7 says, dealers are kinda lazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Its an SIB, but the SIB says not to replace the idler valve, however the idler valve seems to be the one that normally goes bad and causes problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Its an SIB, but the SIB says not to replace the idler valve, however the idler valve seems to be the one that normally goes bad and causes problem.
I'm hoping this doesn't become like the e90 335i HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) for the e90 M3.

There are lots of 335s with kaput HPFPs--many with multiple failures.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I had the same problem. The car would barely start up and I would get all the same lights as you guys. It went away after a few start ups but it did come back, so chances are if you got it once that it will come back.

Just take it to the dealer and have them order the parts for you and fix it. My advice is not to let the dealer keep the car while the pieces are on order and definitely not leave it over the weekend; here's why - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249911

Thats my opinion, its up to you though
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I've heard of it. See post 17 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252758

There's an SIB--but I don't know the number. However, it looks like the poster of post 17 has the SIB number if you haven't found it yet.

On that same thread post 20 states that it could also be the fuel rails instead of or in addition to the idle control valve. Probably good to keep that in mind as FStop7 says, dealers are kinda lazy.
Ron, thanks for the info ... I sent pm to get more info about SIB ...

it is good we postponed it till the next weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

This is not a recall, but it is a Service Information Bulletin. The problem is caused by a restriction in the idle air circuit (idle valve, hoses or idle strips). There is a rubber hose that goes from the intake manifold to the idle valve that can separate causing blockage in the hoses, valve or idle strips that it feeds.

The cure for this is to replace the rubber hose that goes to the idle valve and clean the valve/connection hose of any debris. If the idle strips have any debris in them, they should also be replaced. The bulletin states very clearly NOT to replace the idle valve for this problem.

Hope this clears it up,
Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Funny part is, my 335 is going on 30k miles still on the first HPFP, Feb 07 build. The idle actuator failed/clogged after around 7k miles on the M3. Unlike the HPFP, there isn't a 1-2 month delay to get the parts like in 2007.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

so, parts #6, #7, #10, and #11 on this diagram must be replaced ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

I have been going through this very intermittent problem for the last 8,000 miles. Even though Andy tried to clear it up by pointing out that the bulletin states that the fix is to change out the idle strips and idle circuit hoses only, changing all of these parts did not fix the problem in my car. The next step is to replace the Idle Control Module. There have been many posts on this forum of owners whom have had to ultimately change the ICM to REALLY fix the problem.

My car is at the dealer now getting the ICM changed along with a few other things checked out. When I get it back I will give an update to everyone on the outcome. If this doesn't fix the problem it will be Lemon Law City for me. The car has been back and forth to the dealer a handful of times while accrueing 8,000 miles with this frustrating problem. I have had enough!!!!!!!!!!

Sad part here is that I have had to do all of the research on figuring out what is wrong with my own car. The dealer knew nothing of the SIB and was skating around the problem and getting nowhere. They changed spark plugs, blamed it on bad fuel-would flush the fuel and send me on my way, changed the fuel injectors, it went on and on. One visit per one wild stab at a remedy. What is even more alarming, my technician told me that he even confided in his area technical director and the director had never heard of any thing like that ever happening to any M3's. Things sure went quiet when I brought in pages and pages of printed pages from this forum showing the bulliten and the numerous cases that this is happening. I would have loved to talk to the area director then. It is sad when an OWNER has to bring the solution to BMW in order to get his own care diagnosed properly. I am sure their are some dealers out there that are on their "A" game, but not all dealers are created equal, THat is for sure....
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovman View Post
I have been going through this very intermittent problem for the last 8,000 miles. Even though Andy tried to clear it up by pointing out that the bulletin states that the fix is to change out the idle strips and idle circuit hoses only, changing all of these parts did not fix the problem in my car. The next step is to replace the Idle Control Module. There have been many posts on this forum of owners whom have had to ultimately change the ICM to REALLY fix the problem.

My car is at the dealer now getting the ICM changed along with a few other things checked out. When I get it back I will give an update to everyone on the outcome. If this doesn't fix the problem it will be Lemon Law City for me. The car has been back and forth to the dealer a handful of times while accrueing 8,000 miles with this frustrating problem. I have had enough!!!!!!!!!!
which dealer did you take it too ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

To my local Louisiana dealer
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ron, thanks for the info ... I sent pm to get more info about SIB ...

it is good we postponed it till the next weekend
No problem Aleks! I hope things are taken care of quickly for you! Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #20
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovman View Post
To my local Louisiana dealer
o my bad ... I thought that you are in Lafayette that are not too far form where I leave ... I didn't see it is in Louisiana.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
No problem Aleks! I hope things are taken care of quickly for you! Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
yeah, everything should be finished by the end of the week if there is no delay with the parts. BT tools is coming today as well ...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
This is not a recall, but it is a Service Information Bulletin. The problem is caused by a restriction in the idle air circuit (idle valve, hoses or idle strips). There is a rubber hose that goes from the intake manifold to the idle valve that can separate causing blockage in the hoses, valve or idle strips that it feeds.

The cure for this is to replace the rubber hose that goes to the idle valve and clean the valve/connection hose of any debris. If the idle strips have any debris in them, they should also be replaced. The bulletin states very clearly NOT to replace the idle valve for this problem.

Hope this clears it up,
Andy
Yes it does however the Idle valve seems to be the main problem because the vehicles that have had this sib performed end up having to go back and get the Idle valve replaced.

Hey Finnegan, I dont think too many M3s have had this problem as compared to the hpfp problem 335s had. So lets keep are fingers crossed and hope it doesnt end up being a common problem.
Appreciate 0