BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Test drive 135i

I've been waiting to order my 1 series because I haven't had a chance to check out a 1 series equipped with the options I would like.
I finally got a chance to test drive a 135i with sport pkg./not M, and with a manual trans.

The comfort:

My main concerns were how the sport seats fit, and how the overall cars drives with the manual trans. I have driven a 135i vert that did not have the sport pkg., so it had the sport suspension but not the sport seats, and it was sportronic not manual.

The vert was fantastic. In fact, that test drive cemented that I wanted a 1 series. I liked the seats, the headroom, the drive, the power.
So, I wanted to test drive a 135i coupe with sport seats and manual trans.

I hate to say I am a bit disappointed. I'm not giving up on the 1, I'm just reconsidering what I want in it.
The sport seats are very nice and give very nice side bolsters and I LOVE the thigh extension, which I loved in my 325i sport.
However, the seat feels overly "stuffed", as if it has too much padding everywhere. This results in a feeling of sitting higher not "IN" the car like I did with the stock seats in the vert.
I tried and tried to rock the power seats down and adjust them, but still I didn't have much headroom. I keep my hair very short so the 1/4-1/3" headroom was enough, but the feeling that there wasn't much headroom wasn't comfortable, and I just couldn't get "IN" the seat. I felt I was on the seat.

I'm sure the padding and leather will wear in and it will become more comfortable. But, the stock seats felt nice right off the bat.
Also, the vert has much more headroom. The coupe really knocks the headroom down. There is plenty of head space where the roof window is, but the perimeter sits much lower.
So, now I'm wondering, I may just go with a non-sport for the lower seats.
Luckily, the 135i comes with the nice wheels and sport suspension, so I'd only be losing out on the M steering wheel, sweeeeet btw, and the seats.

The Look:

I like the gray headliner. It gives the cabin a lighter feel, and I like the added color contrast. The gray headliner also matches very well with the metal trim.
Now, the metal trim. I don't think I care for it much. It looks kinda......welll......cheap. I have brushed aluminum in my A4 and it looks very nice. I see that the 1 does have brushed aluminum, but can that option be had if ordered from BMW? I think I would prefer either the gray poploar wood and for sure the aluminum trim compared to the dimpled glacier trim.

The Drive:

Now, on to the drive. As soon as we hit the main street I was struck with an odd feeling that was not present in the 135 vert. There as an odd vibration transmition from the road through the steering column. It was very subtle and slight, but it was there. I've always loved how BMW isolates the steering column/wheel from road and suspension vibrations, but on this particular coupe there was a subtle vibration I could feel, and it came up through the column, but not so much in the wheel.
Anyone else notice this? Or, it just that particular 135i. As I said, I didn't notice this in the 135 vert, even though the vert had quite a bit of upper windshield shake even with the top up.

The clutch feel is fantastic, much better than the E46 manual clutch.
Pedal force is smooth and linear, and take up was almost off the floor, nice. The shifter leaves something to be desired in that it's too smooth and vague. There are almost no detents or tactile feel that you've engaged your gear. This feels very much like my 325i. BMW manuals are smooth, but they don't give a feeling of engagement. It wasn't rubbery like many manuals are, it's just that there is no solid feeling of actually have just put the lever in a gate. My A4 has a better feel in that regard.

And, the shifter knob feels cheap and way too light. In my 325i I ditched the stock shifter knob and installed a nice aluminum MOMO shift knob that had more substantial feel. I still have that knob. I'll use it on the 135i.

So, that's it. I was really hoping to feel that I must order NOW. But, after yesterday's test drive, I'm not as gung ho, and am considering a 135i without sport pkg. And, I wasn't happy with the steering column vibes.
This weekend I'm going to drive more 128's and 135's in both vert and coupe.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-14-2009 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Each to there own I guess, I think you dislike everything about the m-sport that everyone likes. I think the basic seats suck....

The drive I can't comment on much only really driven it twice and loved it!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I like the sport seat and the thick M steering wheel. The 6 speed is fine but certainly not as good as a Honda S2000 which is the benchmark. I also like the aluminum tream. It is going to take some time to like the new things, so good luck in your search.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I like the sport seat and the thick M steering wheel. The 6 speed is fine but certainly not as good as a Honda S2000 which is the benchmark. I also like the aluminum tream. It is going to take some time to like the new things, so good luck in your search.

Nothing beats the S2 in terms of the 6speed.

I hope ssk that I order will come some what close.

As for the steering..is there such at thing as too much feedback?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You need to try manual sport seats - better headroom. I'm 6'-4" and there's no problems.
      05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
Each to there own I guess, I think you dislike everything about the m-sport that everyone likes. I think the basic seats suck....

The drive I can't comment on much only really driven it twice and loved it!
As respectively as I can say, what's your point?

I simply gave my impressions. It's not about my dislike should be the gospel truth. It's about function for ME, and that is what I wrote about. It's not to disparage those who do like what they like for whatever reason.

No, I do not dislike the M sport. It's a good looking pkg, just not for me. BTW, the glacier silver trim is not an M sport exclusive. It comes in the sport as well, and is a stand alone option too.
You drive an A3, and yet you think the stock 1 seats suck?
Ok, see, that's your opinion. I don't share it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxMLEExXx View Post

Nothing beats the S2 in terms of the 6speed.

I hope ssk that I order will come some what close.

As for the steering..is there such at thing as too much feedback?
I think you're addressing your last comment to me.?
I didn't say "too much feedback". I was commenting on an odd coarsness I was feeling in the steering column, which wasn't being transmitted too stongly in the wheel. Steering feedback I'm very familiar with. What I felt was not "feedback", but rather something felt odd, maybe something was loose fitting and sent it's vibes through the column. I didn't feel that same thing in the 135i vert, so that's why I can't say that the 1 series has this issue. It's very likely that the coupe I drove had that issue.

I LOVE Honda/Acura manuals. They have the best feel in shift linkage and dead-on gate engage. Their pedal feel is always smooth, linear, without unnecessary pedal movement.

On the BMW site, you can get the BMW SSK on the 128i for $300, but for the 135i it's almost $600. That's dishonest by BMW. The 128, 135, 328, 335 all share the manual trans, only some ratio changes. Still, why nearly double for the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
You need to try manual sport seats - better headroom. I'm 6'-4" and there's no problems.
Now, that is great to hear.
I was suspecting that maybe the issue with the seats could have something to do with the power mechanism.
You've tried the sport seats with both the manual and power versions?
And, the manual seats do sit a bit lower?

Can you comment on the manual seat adjustments?
Can you adjust the seats manually in small increments? My lower spine is not soo good, so I appreciate the fine tuning of powered seats. Does the manual seat back have a notched motion, or I hope, it's like most Euro cars and uses a knob that has smooth "infinite" settings?

I'm 6-1", but my torso is like someone with a 6-3 or 6-4" torso.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
As respectively as I can say, what's your point?

I simply gave my impressions. It's not about my dislike should be the gospel truth. It's about function for ME, and that is what I wrote about. It's not to disparage those who do like what they like for whatever reason.

No, I do not dislike the M sport. It's a good looking pkg, just not for me. BTW, the glacier silver trim is not an M sport exclusive. It comes in the sport as well, and is a stand alone option too.
You drive an A3, and yet you think the stock 1 seats suck?
Ok, see, that's your opinion. I don't share it.
Wow I wasn't attacking you just thought it was odd, first time I've heard anyone not like the items you mentioned.

My A3 seats are great, sports package aswell not the basics seats as audi basic seats suck too.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

Quote:
I think you're addressing your last comment to me.?
I didn't say "too much feedback". I was commenting on an odd coarsness I was feeling in the steering column, which wasn't being transmitted too stongly in the wheel. Steering feedback I'm very familiar with. What I felt was not "feedback", but rather something felt odd, maybe something was loose fitting and sent it's vibes through the column. I didn't feel that same thing in the 135i vert, so that's why I can't say that the 1 series has this issue. It's very likely that the coupe I drove had that issue.

I LOVE Honda/Acura manuals. They have the best feel in shift linkage and dead-on gate engage. Their pedal feel is always smooth, linear, without unnecessary pedal movement.

On the BMW site, you can get the BMW SSK on the 128i for $300, but for the 135i it's almost $600. That's dishonest by BMW. The 128, 135, 328, 335 all share the manual trans, only some ratio changes. Still, why nearly double for the 135i?
No..I was not directing it to you. Just asking ppl in general.
I do understand what you are saying about the steering. Too much movement, to me that's too much feedback. Kinda like I need both my hands on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #11
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
I was suspecting that maybe the issue with the seats could have something to do with the power mechanism.

I am surprised at the head room comment as well because of 1's pronounced roofline. OP must have not adjusted the height correctly. I have heard numerous 6"+ drivers here fit comfortably in the 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:

Can you comment on the manual seat adjustments?
Can you adjust the seats manually in small increments? My lower spine is not soo good, so I appreciate the fine tuning of powered seats. Does the manual seat back have a notched motion, or I hope, it's like most Euro cars and uses a knob that has smooth "infinite" settings?

It's possible that I tried a power sear during one of my several test drives, but I never noticed. It has been cited here on 1Addicts that the manual seats do in fact go lower because of there are no motors underneath. I personally like the seats very much and since I am the only person driving the car, the lack of power settings means nothing to me. I can't say whether the seat will adjust exactly to your liking, but there's an easy way to test that at the dealership. As many car reviews have noted, the 1 series sport seat is an absolutely excellent seat compared to what you find in other cars and the driver position is also excellent. Whether it fits you exactly can only be answered by you, but, as a starting point, you can't do better than the sport seat. Go back to a dealership and spend some time sitting and adjusting both versions. It sounds like you may have 2 specific things to check - headroom, adjustable lumbar support.
      05-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's possible that I tried a power sear during one of my several test drives, but I never noticed. It has been cited here on 1Addicts that the manual seats do in fact go lower because of there are no motors underneath. I personally like the seats very much and since I am the only person driving the car, the lack of power settings means nothing to me. I can't say whether the seat will adjust exactly to your liking, but there's an easy way to test that at the dealership. As many car reviews have noted, the 1 series sport seat is an absolutely excellent seat compared to what you find in other cars and the driver position is also excellent. Whether it fits you exactly can only be answered by you, but, as a starting point, you can't do better than the sport seat. Go back to a dealership and spend some time sitting and adjusting both versions. It sounds like you may have 2 specific things to check - headroom, adjustable lumbar support.
Don't get me wrong, I think the sport seat is excellent. I fit into it nicely.
My concern is not the seat, it's the headroom.
I don't touch the rood, but I'm not very far from it at all.
It just seems I'm sitting too high in it.

Yes, I have adjusted the seat FULLY downward, as I know these seats have a tricky power adjust. I lowered it fully, then I lowered the front tilt which lower the seat even more, then I adjusted the rear tilt too.

For me, as I said, I have a tall torso from someone who is like 6-3", and I'm sure my butt padding is also adding another 1" to the normal sized person. I think I just need more seat time, so I need to go and do more test drives this weekend.

Width wise the seats are great. I love the thigh bolsters and thigh extension. I just wish the seat came down about another 1/2" or the roof liner were up about that.
I can either forgo the power seats, or I should forgo the extra snacks and eat more salads. Better power to weight and more headroom.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BTW, does the manual seatback adjuster use a knob or detented lever?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
BTW, does the manual seatback adjuster use a knob or detented lever?
No knobs anywhere. Everything is a lever. I think you'll just have to sit in one and set it all the way down and see. When I was still test driving there were a number of cars that were very tight on headroom, especially the Japanese cars. With my 1 seat dropped down I'm clear enouigh that I have no notice of the roof at all.
      05-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

I'm 6ft4in, and my body proportions are right that my head hits the roof by the sunroof in the coupe... sport seats or not. If you're tall enough, like to sit with decent posture, and have a sunroof, things just don't work...

I fit perfectly in the vert.

As for the shifter, I came in driving my E30. Not the absolute best/smoothest shifter out there, but really good. The 135i did everything effortlessly. Smoother, lighter, I can see why you might want just a bit more heft to the shifter, but to me, it makes driving easy.

Ineresting and excellent comments!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Interesting comments indeed. Here are my two cents just for some additional color.

6'2" here and over 200 lbs. I find that I have plenty of headroom in the 1. In fact, there's more head room in the 1 than in my wife's 335 coupe and both have the sunroofs.

I have the sport premium and arrange my seat with the rear bottom part of the seat tilted all the way down, the thigh support extended and the front bottom part of the seat tilted all the way up. I then adjust the recline to fit. This provides thigh support for my long legs, tucks me under the wheel for easy access to the pedals and the holding the wheel and is very comfortable for long rides.

I have never felt on top of the seats, though I notice that if you have the side bolsters set too tight they do tend to squeeze you forward and perhaps wouldn't feel as secure as a more relaxed setting.

After 6,000 miles I have never felt a column vibration so it may have been that particular car. I also prefer the light easy shift action as I experience my fair share of traffic. Initially, I thought as the OP did that the shifting was so light as to be uncommunicative but have since found much more understanding between the car and myself. I believe the initial gap was that I was coming from an '06 CTS-V so that shifting experience was an entirely differently level of "engaging."

As for the trim, I went with the black trim. I thought it was the best option of all those offered. I'm more of a simple and easy guy and I didn't want more grey like shades with the grey interior.

Regardless, it sounds like the OP enjoyed the first taste so I encourage taking a second helping.
      05-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No knobs anywhere. Everything is a lever. I think you'll just have to sit in one and set it all the way down and see. When I was still test driving there were a number of cars that were very tight on headroom, especially the Japanese cars. With my 1 seat dropped down I'm clear enouigh that I have no notice of the roof at all.
I wish I could sit in a manual seat adjust, but dealers around here don't order various versions for those of us who want to test before buying. They order what sells, and that's typically automatics with premium pkg and heated seats. Manuals with sport pkg and manual leather seats is a bit too "special" for these dealers. Heck, my most local dealer, about 15 miles from me, doesn't even have a 1 series anywhere on the lot. But, he's got plenty of 328xi's and 335i's in black and silver, all automatics.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

I opted for non-sport package, too (price on issue).
Reason Nr.1 is suspension that better suits me (car rolls soft, without vibration and shocks).
Reason Nr.2 is non-sport seats that looks less nice than sport, but are actually more comfortable and lower (I'm 6.3" and 225 lbs).
Reason Nr.3 is that I much prefer 17" wheels with more 'meat' than 18" (I have non run flat 215/50-17 F and 245/45-17 R) slightly 'bigger' than factory spec, but greatly more comfortable without significant handling/cornering compromise.
Also, visually I never liked front bumper on sport version (contrary to right bumper that is fantastic), so I finished with hybride front-non sport and rear sport bumber, side skirts - BMW Performance.

Didn't find enough reason for justifying 135i over 125i (given that price difference is twice that in US).
From friend's 325i tuned to 300HP I know that engine character suits me much better than similarly powered 335i.
So, go figure.

But for guys that like generally rougher drive, stiff suspension and road irregularities feel I thing 135i incl. sport package might be just right.
Appreciate 0