BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Best exhaust valves to buy for custom project?

I am planning a custom exhaust and have everything ready to go except the valves (info on my idea is here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=19 ). I need to purchase two of them. Can anyone tell me what are the best ones to get? I heard of some failures with lower end models. Are the eas ones any good?

Also, if there are any words to the wise about the electrical aspect - where to grab V+ power, wired vs wireless.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196007
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Just curious why you don't put valve before the muffler instead trying to fabricate something that comes out of the side? It seems much easier than your plan shows.
      05-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

The reason I'm doing it is to retain the factory Helmholtz chamber which eliminates/reduces drone. If you look at the drawing, you will see what I mean. I am not sure if the reduction in back pressure with the opening of the valve will ruin the equation and still produce drone, but I guess I will find out.

The systems that just dump before the pipes drone.

Last edited by Subw00er; 05-15-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

If you are looking at exhaust cutout valves, check out QTP, or the valves sold on Jegs or summitracing. There are various sizes for different pipe diameters.

**Why dont you add some extra resonators, to get rid of te drone? like some AR20's?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There are a ton of aftermarket exhaust that have absolutely no drone. It seems folks learned from past M3 systems and other system that the drone is simply not tolerable. The OEM like design is not required to eliminate drone. Many ways to skin a cat as they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

There is really no annoying drone with the cut-outs, and the point of cut-outs is to get all the noise you could ever want when you are in the mood. You can trim the sound level and tone by varying how much the valve is open. It may sound silly but I get about 1 person every couple weeks who follows me off the freeway to a traffic light to tell me how much they like the sound. I've probably sold 5 M3s by now. The biggest annoyance is that it sounds better outside than in the cabin....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey jml: Where are those videos you were going to post up? I am stil certainly dying the hear your car and am considering more or less duplicating your mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
There is really no annoying drone with the cut-outs, and the point of cut-outs is to get all the noise you could ever want when you are in the mood. You can trim the sound level and tone by varying how much the valve is open. It may sound silly but I get about 1 person every couple weeks who follows me off the freeway to a traffic light to tell me how much they like the sound. I've probably sold 5 M3s by now. The biggest annoyance is that it sounds better outside than in the cabin....
JML, thats good news. Hmm. Perhaps I'll change my idea if it looks to be a pita. What cutouts did you use btw? The Race Ready ones? Oh, also can you describe how you normally use it? Does you just leave them open all the time.. back them down when you are feeling less obnoxious.. and close them when you want it quiet? I read that you said it was mildly louder when closed than before the modification. Still true? Thanks for any feedback on usability.

To that point, I thought this digital controller for the cutouts was neat.. http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ller/index.php

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if this would work with the Race Ready Cutouts (I read that qtp cutouts were not great, so thats why the mix and match)? I would assume yes because I'd imagine it just duplicates a momentary switch, but perhaps there is some voodoo around calibrating the open and close positions.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Hey jml: Where are those videos you were going to post up? I am stil certainly dying the hear your car and am considering more or less duplicating your mod.
It'll be easier if you just fly down to Austin and drive it for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
JML, thats good news. Hmm. Perhaps I'll change my idea if it looks to be a pita. What cutouts did you use btw? The Race Ready ones? Oh, also can you describe how you normally use it? Does you just leave them open all the time.. back them down when you are feeling less obnoxious.. and close them when you want it quiet? I read that you said it was mildly louder when closed than before the modification. Still true? Thanks for any feedback on usability.

To that point, I thought this digital controller for the cutouts was neat.. http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...ller/index.php

This is a long shot, but does anyone know if this would work with the Race Ready Cutouts (I read that qtp cutouts were not great, so thats why the mix and match)? I would assume yes because I'd imagine it just duplicates a momentary switch, but perhaps there is some voodoo around calibrating the open and close positions.
No idea if it will work. It's not a real servo and there is no position feedback to the controller, so I don't know what basis the percent open/closed would work on. The Raceready units have a lifetime warranty and so far they are holding up.

Open/closed, depends how I feel. I feel it's abusive in my yuppy neighborhood, but if I am by myself it is open everywhere else unless I am listening to music or on the phone.
Appreciate 0