BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
CJM
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Changing manual transmission oil?

Hi everyone,

I heard the other day that when one does their first oil & filter change, one should also change the manual transmission fluid (and preferably diff oil too). Does anyone know if this should be done (and has anyone changed transmission fluid)?

Apparently (what I heard - it's second hand intelligence from a 'friend of a friend who is a mechanic') that the metal shavings peak at about 1500km from new, both in the engine and in the gearbox because anything metallic with cogs produces some shavings as it's wearing in.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? Is it overkill to change transmission fluid so early? The thought of metal shavings moving around the gearbox oil isn't very nice - if it's true.

But wait, there's more... and I don't know about this one... the same second hand intelligence reports that after about 200km it's ok to rev the engine a bit more than the 'wearing in period km' as the engine will become lazy if it's not revved a bit.

OMG so much conflicting info... I'm going to be keeping the 135i for quite a while so I want to get it right...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

You need to send an e-mail to Mike Miller, technical editor of Roundel and Bimmer magazines, and ask him to send you a copy of his "old school BMW maintenance schedule", which he will gladly do. (There are copies of it floating around on the Internets, but they may not have his latest recommendations, so it's best to send him an email so you can receive the most up-to-date version.)

Mike's contact info can be found here:

http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=r...staff_masthead

The short answer to your first question is it never hurts to change most fluids, as long as it's done correctly. Personally, I am planning to do a post break-in oil change, and considering a differential/transmission fluid change depending on cost and effort. (I intend to keep my 1er for a long time, too.)

For your second question, engine break-in is more of a religion than a science, and everyone has a different opinion. There are some who "drive it like they stole it" for the first 1,000 miles and have no problems. There are some who baby it for the first 1,000 miles and have no problems. (And there are those in both camps who have engine problems.) In theory, the engine has already been broken in at the factory, where they DID run it up to the redline.

For my money, a couple of runs into the upper RPMs probably won't hurt anything, and may actually be good for the engine. Using "engine braking" from a higher RPM down to a lower one is supposed to be good, too. But just remember that there are other parts (transmission, differential, brakes, etc.) that need to wear in as well. Like so many other things in life, moderation is probably the key here. And also remember that you're still getting used to driving the 1er, too.

What may be more important for the engine is that you vary engine speed as much as possible during the break in period. Don't idle for extended periods of time if you can avoid it, don't use cruise control, and take some drives into the mountains if you have the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
PawlyGuNNz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM 6spd MT N54

I am interested in that maintenance schedule... I tried to locate Mike Millers info on the link but cannot find it. Do you know of anywhere else I can find it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Hi everyone,

I heard the other day that when one does their first oil & filter change, one should also change the manual transmission fluid (and preferably diff oil too). Does anyone know if this should be done (and has anyone changed transmission fluid)?

Apparently (what I heard - it's second hand intelligence from a 'friend of a friend who is a mechanic') that the metal shavings peak at about 1500km from new, both in the engine and in the gearbox because anything metallic with cogs produces some shavings as it's wearing in.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? Is it overkill to change transmission fluid so early? The thought of metal shavings moving around the gearbox oil isn't very nice - if it's true.

But wait, there's more... and I don't know about this one... the same second hand intelligence reports that after about 200km it's ok to rev the engine a bit more than the 'wearing in period km' as the engine will become lazy if it's not revved a bit.

OMG so much conflicting info... I'm going to be keeping the 135i for quite a while so I want to get it right...

I'm happy I changed my trans oil recently., but best you don't overrely on the interwebs and you go talk to your mechanic.
Appreciate 0