BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

135i in VIC round of Australian Tarmac Challenge

The Dutton rally was renamed the Australian Tarmac Challenge for this year. I wasn't able to compete this year but I got a call from a mate to say there was another 135i competing in the vic round this weekend. Does anyone know who it might be?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
Wayne and Taka!!! Yay!!
Hope they do well! Go guys, make us proud!
      05-30-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
kevwrx
Internationally Renouned Skidologist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i convert/Lambo Gallardo

yeah, what my wife said ^^^
..and remember, we only know one speed - flat out !!
      05-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

First lot of decals on earlier in the week. Driver dynamics decals are on it now plus all the decals as part of the Tarmac rally sponsors.

Car was very very fast this morning at Phillip Island today, especially as he hasn't driven PI in many years. The rest i will let them expalin, they were going to do a blog, i know there is lots of video taken. I just got back a little while ago, big day
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

More pics!

The car is hard to get used too. I did pretty shit in the first day and slowly learning how to drive the beast. My neck is still hurting. Very undertyre at the rear, but hey we are there to have fun? Aren't we Wayne?

Where is my alternator belt?
      05-31-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

More details, results etc - come on guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I did had an event of out 3000 that I came 2nd in class. ^_^" The other just say within the top 50 haha.

Waiting to edit my video so not many photo taken.

05-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So were you guys in the street or clubsport class?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
can't wait to see the vids. Stephen your vids are always really good to watch!
      05-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

I was on the phone to Way earlier, he had a great time on the event he said. More info soon, Taka c'mon......
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Jeff, we were Clubsport. Were you in Street or Club last time? We were competing against the likes of highly modded EVOs (fark some of them are so quick it scares me!) and STIs, 911 turbo, GT2, R35 GTRs etc etc. The new regulation is a bit weird in that regard! There is a subclass within Club, which you could get a placing for at the end of 3 days, but unfortunately I had an incident yesterday which lost us all afternoon due to the alternator belt unlodging itself. We could have won that subclass if we didn't get into trouble yesterday. The boys from Southern BM came down to Land Lang to help us fix the car, with an alternator belt taken from Taka's 135i. Thanks Andrew and Jimmy from SouthernBM, they travelled to the country on a sat afternoon and was around till 6.30pm fixing my car in the dark! Thanks also to Ian from Rennenhaus for helping and supporting all afternoon. I know you come on here sometime.

Anyway, as Andrew said, I had a cracker at the Philip Island track (day 1). I came 7th in session 2, and 3rd in session 3 (and 7th outright!). This is my first time seeing the island for 6-7 years, and when I last went there it was for a driver training day so I never learned or even saw the entire track. In session 1, I did a 2:00.23 which placed me 10th. Then I did a 1:56.03 in Session 2 which placed me 7th, and the final session I did a 1:53.54 which placed me 3rd! The format for session 1 and 2 is that you get half an outlap, then 2 hotlaps and that's it. For session 3, you get half an outlap and 1 hotlap! So I am pretty happy with my laps given I have pretty much done a total of 5 laps!

Day 2 was at Lang Lang (Holden's proving ground). The first 3 events was at the back circuit which was like a hill climb, and you do all three consecutively. I was 4th in the 2nd event out of the 3, but was midfield in the other 2. After that, I had an incident which caused the issues we had. We did manage to do another run after that but that was it for the day. What a shame. Reviewing my results now, I was doing reasonably well.

On day 3 (today), we went to Haunted Hills and DECA for some hill climbs. Haunted Hills was excellent! I loved it as did Taka. However, as Taka said, we were VERY undertyred. We are running 225's all around, and with 250kw at the wheel, I was able to snap the car around on third gear wheel change! At Haunted Hills, it was difficult for us. We really needed 265 all round or at least 245 all round. The fastest I managed was 62.79 seconds which is nowhere near quick enough to be at the pointy end. The EVOs and STIs (which Haunted Hills is made for!) were doing 56's! Even with the right tyres and pushing the car to the max, I think the best we could have hoped for is maybe 58's which is would have placed us in 5th or 6th. At DECA, I was 7th in one event, but hit a cone for the other event which gave me a 5 sec penalty.

Anyway, we had fun. We were never planning to win this, but now that we know what it is all about, we may give it a serious go next time. We didn't prepare the car or anything this time, but if we do it again, I will get some proper pads, tyres, suspension set up etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hey Taka, here is one of you at the Island taken by Ian.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the update WAY, sounds like PI was a real highlight! Everything has changed this year so it is interesting to see how the rule changes have played out. With the baby due late August I won't be running in the NSW round in September either.

It sounds like the best chance for the 135i would probably be keeping it pretty stock and running in the 'street' class but I think your car is too far gone for that now anyway.

Right now my car is right on the limit of the 'street' class so I could take off the r spec tyres and run in the street class if I wanted to. I reckon the car would be pretty competitive but there probably isn't that many cars in the street class anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Jeff, we can go futher to make it competitive. We need to test run on the venues too to have a realistic chance. Club class is way too serious.

May be I can have my automatic 135 and put on some real nice street tyre and pad and have a go. It is only a 3 lap dash it is not going to hurt the brakes.

After all I just got used to the car the last day and it is not fair. I want to go back to PI!

**** FOR VIDEO ****
**** ANYONE can take a picture of the 135 dash, any size over 400 pixel wide will do. Prefer sharp images. Even Phone images will do if you have a steady hand. I don't have my car with me so I can't take a pic. Wayne's phone is as dead as him and I can't get through. I ain't dare calling Mrs WAY this time of morning. **** THanks
      05-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Just looking at the video. We are so not serious at the venue that is soooo funny.

Shit I think we watch too much Top Gear and we are like the Clarkson and May @ 24 hour Silverstone... haha.
      05-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Nice one boys, sounds like you did yourselves proud!

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Just looking at the video. We are so not serious at the venue that is soooo funny.

Shit I think we watch too much Top Gear and we are like the Clarkson and May @ 24 hour Silverstone... haha.
Pretty much! That is how we approached the event from the start so what do you expect! But I have a few more top 5 and top 10 than you. Ok fine, it's not your car, but I still have the bragging rights.

Can't wait to see the video!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
Nice one boys, sounds like you did yourselves proud!
THanks Breville. You should consider entering the NSW round. With the street class now, you can be very competitive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Jeff, we can go futher to make it competitive. We need to test run on the venues too to have a realistic chance. Club class is way too serious.
This is the real challenge with the ATC / Dutton. The only thing you can practice is race tracks / hill climbs but at best this might only be 25% of the events with the rest being stuff they make up. I actually like the challenge of trying to quick on a course you have never driven on!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Well done Wayne and Taka... At least your car looks the goods and performed that way..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #21
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
This is the real challenge with the ATC / Dutton. The only thing you can practice is race tracks / hill climbs but at best this might only be 25% of the events with the rest being stuff they make up. I actually like the challenge of trying to quick on a course you have never driven on!
That is the thing. I did shit in the Philip Island and Haunted hills. But I did ok in DECA and really well at the Holden secret ground. I event manage to beat Wayne a few occasion on Saturday.

You will nearly need to familar with the car (as the driver 2) before going into ATC.
      06-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #22
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You only beat me cos I hit the cone and lost 5 seconds! lol. In all seriousness though, with proper prep, I think we could be much higher up even if we don't win it. It would be difficult to win when you have guys like Vin Macaro (the Subaru guru) entering in a factory backed STI and guys who have spent $100k on modifying their EVO's etc etc. But I think we could have been in the top 5 for most events with this car. The car is very capable!

Jeff, we were so not serious that we only started looking at the motorkhana courses minutes before the events start. And because of that I got completely lost in my first run. Taka had the privileged of watching the field before his turn, but then he isn't familiar with the car. Even I had to adjust my driving style slightly as I raised the front by 1 inch and increase the compression of the suspension by 20% the day before the race, and on the track it behaved quite differently which took me by surprised. But at least I was familiar with the brakes. I think that was Taka's biggest issue. I have very powerful brakes and I don't think he realised how good they are until day 2.
Appreciate 0