BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Lap timers etc

I have been using Race Chrono on my N95 but I'm looking for something with more resolution etc.

I know Guran has something that sticks to the windscreen?

What is the best option and where do I get it from?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Calling Taka...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

ps I tried Race Chrono with a 5hz external receiver on the weekend and had heaps of problems.

I think what I'm looking for is the Racelogic Performance Box or Driftbox.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Calling Taka...

lol
      06-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I'm going to get a Performancebox Racelogic.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Cool... I was speaking with a guy from racer industries and they should be able to give a deal if a few of us purchase together. Current RRP is $850 for the performancebox.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

I love my Performancebox!
      06-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

I love my Performance Box too. Suggest you upgrade to the Drift Box though. The extra ~$200 gives you a yaw sensor that allows you to track drift angles. Very nice! Wish I had it in mine.
      06-15-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
ps I tried Race Chrono with a 5hz external receiver on the weekend and had heaps of problems.

I think what I'm looking for is the Racelogic Performance Box or Driftbox.
What sort of problem you are experiencing? It is not perfect but as good as most and certainly cheapest.

I don't have time to do all the video and something happens to the early render video for our recent race that I had to start editing them again .... so I can't show you. But I have made the racechrono to log all the data and display is as a video dash board. If you see my video for my RX-8 ever you will know what I mean. Go to racechrono forum and see that more video links to youtube.

Performance box does not allow you to do video out of the box. TrackVision is a US$200 program and it does not work well with rendering. Putting it on youtube is hard or become substandard.

However, PBox or DBox has a 10Hz GPS and a gyroscope so you have more functions. Accuracy wise it is ok. Correct me if I am wrong but PBox and DBox you have to set the start/finish line ON THE TRACK, and you can't download someone else's previous recordings.

PBox and DBox do not record rpm or coolant temperature like my racechrono linked with a OBD scanner so....

The best shit out there is what my internet mate has in Japan - called Traqmate. It has the best program to transfer data to video screen and helps you to match your in car video in the most easiest way.
      06-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

If you're serious about lap and data logging, you can't beat the AIM range for features and low price. Plus at a lot of track events in combination with GPS, others are highly likely to have setup a beacon. Obviously requires permanent wiring, but again if your serious proper datalogging is the only way.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c...n_car_evo3.htm
      06-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taka
However, PBox or DBox has a 10Hz GPS and a gyroscope so you have more functions. Accuracy wise it is ok. Correct me if I am wrong but PBox and DBox you have to set the start/finish line ON THE TRACK, and you can't download someone else's previous recordings.
Wrong. There is a massive database of circuit files for tracks all over the world. Download and put the file onto the box and it will log laps immediately. Only if the organizers are using a different finish line do you need to set it on the track while driving. Or you can guesstimate it on a laptop, create a new start/finish line and copy that onto the box. I imagine this is no different to racechrono.

Quote:
PBox and DBox do not record rpm or coolant temperature like my racechrono linked with a OBD scanner so....
Spend a little more and you can get a PBox that does this too.

In my view, the PBox is a bit like an iPhone. Yes there are plenty of alternatives but none is packaged as nicely or are as user friendly.
      06-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Guran,

Thanks for that. I stand corrected. Good to know that they can do rpm logging too.
If you don't want to do TrackVision. I can configure the PBox data in .csv file that works for RaceChrono2AVI free software.

AussieRacer,

I do have AIMS and it is sitting in my room doing nothing. I guess that answer your question.

Plus if someone else has a different brand beacon. I and many other of my friends have trouble recording lap time.

Also we have purchased some split beacon but we are too lazy after one or twice to put them on the course.... go figure.

GPS is the easiest thing to do...

I still think my $300 set up is good as the $800 + option of the PBox. Racechrono now have version that works for Windows Mobiles. And they are still free!

If you cannot set up RaceChrono then you have to move on. I have to tell you they are not as user friendly... at least WAY have not a single idea how to use it.

Having said that... he may have no hope setting up a PBox either hehe
      06-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Guran,

Thanks for that. I stand corrected. Good to know that they can do rpm logging too.
No worries. The new jigger is called Performance Box Sport.

Racelogic have also released another thing called Video Vbox which is an all-in-one 10Hz GPS positional datalogger, solid state video recorder and graphics engine overlay.

Quote:
If you don't want to do TrackVision. I can configure the PBox data in .csv file that works for RaceChrono2AVI free software.
Yes, I've been meaning to give that a try. I tried another shareware program which was very buggy and kept crashing on me. And it's still a lot of work to correctly sync the video and logged data.

Quote:
I still think my $300 set up is good as the $800 + option of the PBox. Racechrono now have version that works for Windows Mobiles. And they are still free!
I agree 100% that everyone should at least try Racechrono before considering a Pbox or Dbox. Thing is that Jeff has already said he's not happy with Racechrono, and he's also said nothing about wanting to sync the data with video. Which is why I'd suggest that Pbox or Dbox is a better option for him. Much more user friendly.

So in summary, here is my assessment of the laptiming options:

Stopwatch & friend
Pros: the cheapest option for lap timing
Cons: do you always have a friend handy?; depends on the concentration and accuracy of your friend!; no datalogging of speed, acceleration, track position, etc; cannot use for performance testing

Racechrono
Pros: next cheapest option provided you already have a compatible mobile phone and preferably also buy an external GPS receiver; datalogging of speed, acceleration, track position, etc; provides performance testing (0-100km/hr etc)
Cons: no instantaneous display of lap/split times (not sure if this is true?); 5Hz sampling frequency means 0.2s between datapoints so 0.1s precision is by interpolation only; suited to techno-geeks; excellent technical support via forum

Performance Box / Drift Box
Pros: datalogging of speed, acceleration, track position, etc; provides performance testing (0-100km/hr etc); 10Hz sampling frequency gives 0.1s lap precision; instantaneous lap/split times displayed in the car; more user friendly than Racechrono and easier to get started with; Drift Box costs a bit more but also logs drift angles; official user manual is very easy to follow; excellent technical support via officially run forum
Cons: not cheap at ~Aus$850 each (more for Drift Box); overlaying readouts with video can be a bit tricky and you need to spend more for the software; so much data is available that you can spend many hours afterwards analysing it all with the free software (which also works with Racechrono data) - some might not see this as a "con"; lap precision is only 0.1s

Beacon systems (MoTeC, Dorian, Intercomp, etc)
Pros: Very high precision and can log to 0.0001s; instantaneous display of lap times
Cons: unless you can lap consistently within 0.1s, do you REALLY need 0.0001s laptiming?; no datalogging of speed, acceleration, track position which means you cannot analyse where and how you're losing time; cannot use for performance testing; need to set up a trackside beacon at start/finish line (or use someone elses)

There are others of course, but I've stuck with the main ones.
      06-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

There is live lap time display in RaceChrono and split time when you set it up. With green background when you are faster than the time set (either compare with last lap, the best in session, or the best ever recorded). Red if you are slower .

http://racechrono.com/manual/?page_id=44
Attached Images

06-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

For me:

If you are paying $850 for a Pbox that you use a few times a year it is quite expensive. Think of that next year it may have something better and faster and it will become old technology. Once I am happy with them I will buy one.

But this is even more expensive and even better
There is US version of PBox... you can have a look of a even more expensive traqmate
http://www.traqmate.com/

I have the AIMS timer and quite happy with it but I had to:

Put the beacon on a stand - so I brought my tripod with me
Connecting to a rechargable battery.
Go to the start and finish line each track and put it in. Making sure I am lining it up probably.
and
Making sure the other people with the blue XT timer (forgot what brand they are...)
      06-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
I also have no problems with racechrono.

My setup is:
- Nokia N82
- OBDkey
- BT-Q818eXtreme

Havent had any problems with this yet. And i cant find anything better for the same price either...
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Interesting stuff. I've actually got the BAV cable so I can probably get all the data I need from the car using that - the only issue will be syncing it up / importing it. Does the PBox analysis software have the ability to import data from another source?

Also Guran, I still don't see why the DBox is worth the extra money - if I'm not a drifter why do I need to know about drift angle? Would knowing that stuff really help you to get better lap times?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

That's great to hear Taka. Looks like the Racechrono has a step up on PBox in respect of live lap timing. The b&w screen on the PBox doesn't enable that colour contrast.
      06-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #19
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

Jeff, I reckon the value of having drift angle data is that it helps you work out how much understeer and oversteer you're getting in each corner and you could potentially use that information to help set up your car to go quicker.
      06-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep

And yes the PBox software can import data from other sources provided it's in the correct format. In fact, you should try it with your Racechrono data before you give up on it!