BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Final Video: Team 135i (WAY and TAKA) @ Australian Tarmac Challenge (VIC) - Day 3

Give all videos a 5 star if you think it is good - that can reach more people (and more people like this car) if you do so.

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6d9EIaGT_nc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6d9EIaGT_nc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Day 3

The car is fixed and my TAKA alternator belt is on. It is going to be faster! (in case you don’t know what happen, you have to watch Day 2 footage).

We went to Haunted Hill climb in Moe/Newsborough to have a go of the circuit for the first time.

It is not something we should do when everyone else is so fast!

Day 1 footage - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276949

Day 2 footage - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276740
      06-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

If there was an event where our narrow tyres really suffered, it is at Haunted Hills. I couldn't put my foot down at all without losing traction. You can see that clearly on the telemetry too. But really, we did a reasonable job. I think I did mid 62's and you did mid 63's? Not that bad. Let's put on 265's all round next time and see if we can get around that place in around 58 seconds!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hey after watching these videos, I feel like doing it again, but with a bit more seriousness and preparation this time. Anyone want to do NSW with me if Taka can't? Send your driving resume to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cool videos guys! And now I finally see how much shorter the gears are with a 3.46 diff - that car must be a rocket ship
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
FITZS
Rep
Drives: 135

Just finished watching all 3 vids. Awesome - thanks for sharing.

How do I give them 5 stars? (Sorry - a bit computer/internet illiterate)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Double click the video and you will get into the youtube site of that video. Just below the video on YouTube site you see a row of stars. You can press right hand star to rate it 5 stars! Thanks.

Interesting thought on why you should rate and leave comment on youtube...
http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1566111
      06-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Another great video, had a blast watching those videos.
Thanks alot taka for uploading
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Nice videos.

Any idea what caused the belt problem? Did some trash get up in there during the "off-road" segment?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

That is a good question m3bs. I suspect that belt was caused not by the off, but by the bump on one of the events. There was one particular dip where the car bottomed out and I think that could have caused the belt to dislodge itself and it shreded because we were still running the car with the belt dislodged. That is the only potentially logical explaination I can give!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

Great stuff guys, i enjoyed that video as well. Check enginr light is no excuse Way, i like how you told taks to take it easy and shift early and then the telemetry clearly shows you banging 6000rpm all the time, hahaha

I'll check for fault codes tomorrow, i've driven it a few times around the block to see if anything is an issue but all seems fine. I drove yours car back to back with mine and yours clearly has way more traction, but alas i found an issue with my suspension so i'll be back in happy land soon.

I suspect the headlight backing and the broken headlight housing which is scattered all over the engine bay lodged in the belt pulley after the jolt and caused the belt to break.

Great video guys, i'm glad you had a great time, your laughing shows you really enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I now think the problem may be because Wayne raises the front before the event and not sure the turn in as been affected. Like doing zig zag around the cones is a bit difficult under brake on day 2. Not sure it is because of the shedding belt ....

The car have traction alright because of the sticky tyres... there is traction and TRACTION Andrew. I am sure we will be able to set up the car next year to get max out of the sus and the power. The very down side this year is that we did not set up the car at all.
      06-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Andrew, the check engine light is not the hard pipe issue we had prior to the race. I think it's because Taka was hitting the limiter quite a bit on his run that we didn't see when he should have shifted to 3rd.

With your car, have you tried setting the suspension compression rate to say half way point and see the difference? Happy to come out to your workshop one sat to play with the different suspension setting and driving around the block to give you my impression. When you drive my car, you will notice that the rear is set quite soft to get more weight on the rear when accelerating. I suspect you need to do that too if you haven't. But you have 50mm per corner more tyre than me back there so I don't see how that could be an issue! Lol.

Taka, yeah raising the front definitely takes away the sharpness in cornering. But I had to do it as the car was bottoming out even at Sandown. What I need to do when tuning the suspension in the future is raise the compression rate on the front but keep the height low.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

I pulled mine apart last night and the LHR shocker is non existant, it has no rebound at all, i pulled the rear springs out and they are 450lb but the RHR shock is as hard as a rock and the LHR has no rebound at all, you could have an old E30 rear shock with 400,000kms have more rebound, no wonder i had no traction, and no control under acceleration, i am waiting for the supplier to see what they have to say about it. They have only done a few thousand kms. Today i drove it with stock rear shocks and springs and it feels heaps better.

Last weekend i experimented with all the rebound settings and raised the ride height, changed tyre pressures etc but now i have an answer so i'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Good to hear mate! I hope the supplier have a good answer and give you some new parts! Btw, seeing that you have to take things apart again, if you don't want to keep those M3 parts, do me a deal and I will buy it.
Appreciate 0